Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Some Questions and answers on life on Atys and roleplaying
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   The Saga (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Some Questions and answers on life on Atys and roleplaying (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=17094)

beeryusa September 4th, 2006 05:24 AM

Re: Some Questions and answers on life on Atys and roleplaying

I took some time to check out the skies today. I noticed some things:

1. The sun appears to get brighter and dimmer with day and night. Day and night are a factor of this sun's apparent fluctuations in brightness, and not a factor of Atys's axial rotation.

2. The sun doesn't appear to move in the sky. The same side of Atys faces the sun all the time.

3The stars move quite quickly behind the sun, indicating that the sun is extremely small and close to Atys - either that or Atys is revolving around the sun extremely rapidly. But even if the latter was the case, Atys would still need to be extremely close to the sun in order to stay within its orbit. So Atys's star must be extremely small (smaller than Earth's moon) and very close to Atys (as close as Earth's moon). The speed at which the stars move indicates that, unlike Earth, the seasons have nothing to do with Atys's orientation to the sun. Instead they may be caused by seasonal heating and cooling of the sun (on a different - longer - schedule than its daily brightening and fading), long-term weather systems on Atys, internal heating and cooling of Atys's core, the influence of the ringed planet (this is a very good possibility), or some other factor.

4. The planet with the rings moves at a slightly different pace than the stars behind it. The rings are at almost 90 degrees to the plane of rotation of the stars. I will be interested to find out if the ringed planet obscures the sun or not. As it is, it should technically NOT obscure the sun, as it seems to me that the ringed planet must be a further distance away from Atys than the sun is. I.e. we're talking about a solar system where Atys and its tiny sun both rotate around a massive ringed giant.

Here's my theory:

Atys's sun is artificial - a sort of massive moon-sized fusion reactor set up by some super-high-tech race to make Atys habitable. Atys and this artificial sun revolve around each other as the Earth and its moon do. As our moon always faces the Earth so Atys always faces its sun. Atys and the sun both revolve around the ringed planet as the Earth and its moon revolve around the sun. The ringed planet (not the sun) causes summer and winter on Atys due to an elliptical orbit that causes Atys to be heated up when it gets nearer the ringed planet, just as Jupiter heats up its moons.

So Atys's star system is really a planetary system - perhaps it all orbits some distant black hole.

Anyway, this seems the most likely explanation to me.

beeryusa September 4th, 2006 05:50 AM

In another thread (http://www.ryzom.com/forum/showthrea...410#post283410) Pr0ger wrote:

"The biggest and scariest fact is, if this observation is true, it means Atys makes a revolution around the sun in 24 hours and rotating on itself in 24 hours... wow how fast does atys moves then ??
I'll not detail here why, but i'm sure atys sun is smaller than our irl sun, so i think to have liquid water on atys, atys must be pretty close to the sun. some fast calculations shows that atys must move around the sun from 7000 to 10000 kilometers per seconds!! (earth is roughly 30 km/s around sun)..."

But this can't be the case. Unless Atys's star is extremely massive (too massive to be anything but a super-massive black hole) this would be impossible. A planet moving that fast would be flung out from the star unless it was extremely close, and if it was extremely close it would burn up or be torn apart by the star's gravity.

The only remaining possibility is the one I put forward above. The sun has to be extremely small and close, with lots of heat yet low gravity.

beeryusa September 4th, 2006 06:06 AM

Actually, Kibsword came up with the same theory in his earlier post here: (http://www.ryzom.com/forum/showthrea...=21568&page=3). His number 2 theory is similar to mine.

kaetemi September 4th, 2006 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeryusa
In another thread (http://www.ryzom.com/forum/showthrea...410#post283410) Pr0ger wrote:

"The biggest and scariest fact is, if this observation is true, it means Atys makes a revolution around the sun in 24 hours and rotating on itself in 24 hours... wow how fast does atys moves then ??
I'll not detail here why, but i'm sure atys sun is smaller than our irl sun, so i think to have liquid water on atys, atys must be pretty close to the sun. some fast calculations shows that atys must move around the sun from 7000 to 10000 kilometers per seconds!! (earth is roughly 30 km/s around sun)..."

What about.. the sun rotating around itself, giving the illusion that atys goes faster around it than it actually does.

mehanson September 7th, 2006 04:06 AM

What about...That's not the sun at all, but an extremely reflective "moon" or twin planet? The actual sun is positioned such that we can't see it directly, but it reflects off the twinned planet (or moon) intensely enough that we "perceive" that as the sun. Could be that the real sun is "above" us (polar-wise) making the sunward (northern?) hemisphere unlivable. The closer we get to the equator, the hotter it gets (hence the great expanse of desert in Fyros lands and the desert in the northern section of Matis lands).

katriell March 31st, 2007 09:36 PM

Why is this thread no longer stickied?

japamala April 1st, 2007 05:26 AM

Continuing on this toic, I think the sun was put there by the Karavan, before they made atys, and that it's actually a mechanical device.

sidusar April 1st, 2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japamala
Continuing on this toic, I think the sun was put there by the Karavan, before they made atys, and that it's actually a mechanical device.

Most of us more or less came to that conclusion. Though there's no consensus over whether it's an artificially created star, a mirror satellite reflecting a real star, or a spaceship generating the energy itself.

There's multiple links to the Names of the Moons thread here, but I see nobody mentioned the Science of Atys thread yet. That one has many more speculations about Atys astronomy and biology.

You might find that an interesting read too :)

meloner April 1st, 2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidusar
Most of us more or less came to that conclusion. Though there's no consensus over whether it's an artificially created star, a mirror satellite reflecting a real star, or a spaceship generating the energy itself.

There's multiple links to the Names of the Moons thread here, but I see nobody mentioned the Science of Atys thread yet. That one has many more speculations about Atys astronomy and biology.

You might find that an interesting read too :)

reading both these threads i come to the conclusion this community is composed mainly of scientific geniuses ! :eek: im gobsmacked !

bobjones May 21st, 2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meloner
reading both these threads i come to the conclusion this community is composed mainly of scientific geniuses ! :eek: im gobsmacked !

Gobsmacked, while colorful, is not a scientific term. Please try to remain on topic.