Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Wish List
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   The Ryzom Ring (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Wish List (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=25793)

zangan November 10th, 2006 03:46 AM

Re: Wish List

Special effects.

For instance, in my scenerio you can obtain special orbs and you place these orbs on special holder to help you out. Here:

"Place the Orb of Electricity on Holder 1 to unleash a storm of lightning and destroy the bandits." Its something along those lines, but when I do this, all I can do is set the bandits to die..makes it really rather artificial. Being able to set a flash of lightning to hit would make it so awesome..

Yeah..thats something I want, I think it could give some story-telling/lore scenerios a little spark.:D

kipestia November 20th, 2006 06:56 PM

someone mentioned 3D modelling. while it would be nice, I don't think the system is set up for unique models. although it still would be nice to be able to create things that Nevrax could consider putting into the game.

in a similar subject, I want to be able to 3D model the maps, play with the existing textures, etc.

nephy13 November 28th, 2006 02:46 PM

First of all, I'd like to thank the developers who brought us the Ring. It is great to have this sort of innovative feature in an MMORPG. I also don't expect it to be as good/versatile as the Neverwinter Nights 2 editor (even having things like a scripting language), since that is quite a different kettle of fish. I do, however, have a number of general and specific requests:

Features inside the Ring Editor
Most other people have concentrated their suggestions in this field, so I won't add much more:
  • See the respawn point (as an undeletable entity) in the editor in addition to seeing which way incoming characters will be facing. Once you move yourself in the editor, you have no idea where the spawn point is. Being able to rotate and/or move the spawn-point in th editor would be even better. I still think that it would be fine, when first creating a new act, to have a number of specific spawn points suggested by the editor, as long as you can move it afterwards.
  • Special effects for spawning and despawning. Does the creature appear in a puff of smoke (This could be done when we can spawn/despawn environmental effects and get a few more effects)? Does it rise out of the ground or fall from the sky? Does it shimmer into view?
  • Having drops in corpses (like we would expect) rather than in magically appearing chests.
  • Being able to test whether a character actually has a mission object in their inventory. Example: I give a player a magic amulet which protects her from all harm (or whatever). I can't tell which player has or has not got an amulet, or indeed if they have destroyed or traded the amulet that they have gained.
  • I can force daylight so I can see while editing, but I can't force darkness/twilight to see what my world looks like for people playing at different times of the day.
Features inside the Ring when playing
  • I'd like to be able to bring up a window that shows me what scenario I'm in, who wrote it, and what the access requirements are. Example: I've entered a random scenario from the terminal to try it out. I want to write down the name of the author now that I've seen that the scenario is good, but I've forgotten that too and I don't want to leave just to find that out. It is so good that I want to invite some people in to join me, but I've also forgotten what the scenario is called. Additionally, if a friend that I want to join me is of a different race/faction/level/shard to me, they might be barred from entering when they get to the terminal anyway (And I have no way of knowing this until they actually drop what they are doing and run to a terminal).
  • The host (as AM or player), or perhaps all players in the Ring, should be notified when someone enters or leaves the scenario.
On the mainland
I believe we have a chicken-and-egg situation here. Noone looks in the terminals for scenarios because there are few (if any) being hosted. Noone takes the enormous effort to host because they know that noone will bother looking in terminals on the off-chance that someone is running a scenario. We could advertise in Universe, but only before we start a new scenario and we are risking breaking the "Q&A rule" on Universe channel (Universe is also not cross-shard).
  • Please allow players to bring up a Ring scenarios listing window anywhere in Atys, even if they still have to go to a ring terminal to enter a scenario.
  • Ring terminals near every teleporter, not just in capital cities.
  • Getting optional notification of newly hosted scenarios, assuming they conform to the filter settings you set (see next point).
  • Filter settings at the ring terminal (currently, there is a scenario "filter" button on some of the HTML pages, such as that you receive on steles and statues, so the functionality is already in the game, it is just being shown on the wrong windows!). Filtering will be important when people are "allowed" to host scenarios without having to jump through hoops.
Hosting scenarios
We desperately need a better way to host ring sessions or we are never going to get anywhere at all. The auto-invite function helped a lot, but we are still having to jump through hoops to get our content online to improve your game! e.g.
  • Host one or more masterless session (possibly tied to your alternate characters) and still be able to edit or play. Being able to host more than one scenario could be a function of your ring ratings, in order to prevent casual developers churning out a large number of poorly thought out scenarios. Realistically, unless we allow people to host more than one scenario at once, we are going to force the serious developers to make a single enormous scenario (with a LOT of acts) rather than a number of short or medium sized scenarios.
  • Be able to leave one or more masterless sessions running (for, say, 24 or 72 hours) without needing to be connected. This would be optional, since some people wouldn't necessarily want to leave sessions running. Currently, I need to leave my computer on to upload a single file once. I don't even host the file, the game servers do - I'm just using a whole computer to prove that I am still connected which is a complete waste of resources (both the PC and the electricity it is burning).
General requests for the team developing the Ring
  • I think that the Ring development team should decide (and declare) to which of two audiences they want to focus. Either to serious modders (who will make compelling content which is a lot more interesting than the mainland's "grind content") or to casual modders (who will make shallow scenarios, which are fine in themselves, but that are really no different than the mainland content). In my opinion, the former drastically expands the horizons of the world of Ryzom whilst the latter gives players another timesink (as casual modders). Releasing a more general Ring roadmap too, would help us modders plan ahead with what we would like to develop.
  • Please focus on developing primitive editor entities and functions before more macros. Macros are fine for unskilled developers who want to impress their friends with the minimum of effort, but skilled developers can make them in a couple of clicks from existing primitives (e.g. ambush is zone trigger + creature(unclick autospawn) + event: spawn creature when player enters zone). However skilled you are, you can't add new primitive behaviour if it isn't already there. Once a large proportion of the planned primitives are available, then, and only then, should you be making macros to make the Ring more accessible. If you want to, create a document that explains how to make more complex actions like ambush until there is plenty of time to create and test these macros (I assume that creating a macro is relatively simple for you, but it still needs to be tested nearly as thoroughly as a new primitive).
  • The Ring editor can already make pretty nice scenarios. They could be a lot better, but they are already at a stage when they can be made interesting enough to play. Please then, for the time being at least, concentrate on the issues that will help people host and find out about scenarios. The best scenario in the world is useless if noone is hosting it and/or noone knows that they can play it.

nephy13 November 29th, 2006 06:58 PM

I'd like to be able to bring up a description of a scenery object (such as the writing on the base of a statue) in a pop-up window. Since this is usually done in-game by showing a HTML page from ryzom.com, I can see that this may be impossible to implement for the Ring.

zangan November 30th, 2006 12:07 AM

Some great ideas and coments Nephy, and many of those would make the Ring much more accessable.

This occured as an after thought. You are on the Cho server so possibly the few people trying to get to Ring could be because there is such a low population? Probably not the root of the problem, but I think it adds to it.

nephy13 November 30th, 2006 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zangan
Some great ideas and coments Nephy, and many of those would make the Ring much more accessable.

This occured as an after thought. You are on the Cho server so possibly the few people trying to get to Ring could be because there is such a low population? Probably not the root of the problem, but I think it adds to it.

This is true. Since everyone on Cho is currently madly grinding levels, they will be less interested in the Ring than more jaded players on the other servers (at least until Ring points are enabled). I also don't know how many people are not inviting Cho people to scenarios on other servers, so that may also be making the Ring seem even less used from my perspective (though I do see very occassional scenarios from people off-Cho, I've not been aware of any run from Cho except yours (Zangan) and mine (and events team things)). Nevertheless, it does seem to me that you have to unreasonably jump through hoops to host a scenario or even to find out if one is running. Nevertheless, I have high hopes that the Ring will genuinely be the pivotal element of Saga of Ryzom before too long...

nephy13 December 16th, 2006 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nephy13
Please allow players to bring up a Ring scenarios listing window anywhere in Atys, even if they still have to go to a ring terminal to enter a scenario.

OK, I take that one back since I found out you can bring up a Ring terminal window anywhere to view, join or host ring scenarios, with:
/ah show_hide ring_sessions
And yes, you can use it while actually inside a Ring scenario (to see what else is running and presumably so you can swap scenarios without having to return to the mainland, though I wasn't able to test that).

Can I replace my original request, then, for some more documention for already-implemented functionality please - hehe!

frakel April 10th, 2007 12:03 PM

First I would like to stress what a powerfull tool the ring is. Now that I have more experience in making and running scenarios I can hardly get my arms down! This is an amazing tool.

As for wishes, Nephy says most of it in post #43. I can only second that.

But in addition I would like for some more stability in the ring. When launching a scenario, when new players enter or simply when the act changes, I usually loose a player or two due to the ring kicking them out. Usually they can relog into the ring. But it is an annoyance - though a minor one.

frakel April 11th, 2007 03:29 PM

Some more wishes:

() Environmental triggers and conditions: i.e.
- when time of day is night then...
- when season is winter then...
- when weather is sap storm then...
This allow us to make a village more busy at day, to have extra guards come out at night, have herbivores eat at day and rest at night, predators vice versa, make animal migration patters like the one seen on manland... etc.

() The ability to unclick īmanual seasonī for a location. It is SO annoying that now when I have completed my grand scenario, several acts and everything, one location is forever stuck in summer season. This ought to be easy to implement. EDIT: Ok, I found a workaround for the season change, but we still need a way to automatically link scenario season to mainland season.

() Goo infected plants, savages and creatures EDIT: found these... just had to look for them another place in the editor than where I expected.
Goo damage - perhabs in the form of an area you mark and designate as goo field - or more simply incorporated into the few maps that allready has goo fields.

() Multiple choice dialogues. (previously mentioned, but anyways...). This is a MUST for making good masterless scenarios!

But most of all.... Dear developers... DONT ABANDON THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE RING!
This thread holds so many good ideas for improvements to the ring. Some of these may be time consuming to implement, but others seem a lot more easy to simply add to the existing mechanics. Give us a roadmap for the development of the ring. Let us know that you are actually still working on this.

jable May 19th, 2007 02:35 AM

An option to make objects like the Hall of fame, flame of justice etc. non-targetable by players.

A time/point high-score thing.