Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - 101 ways to use a Tryker
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   Adventure designers hints and exchanges (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   101 ways to use a Tryker (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=26116)

cloudy97 October 6th, 2006 05:19 PM

101 ways to use a Tryker

Well... this is the first one.

In my scenario a few tents are on fire and the adventurers need to put the fires out. Tents can't start missions, only NPC's can. So I added a short Tryker and named him Tent, and linked him to a Request Item mission, and it works pretty well.. if you don't mind that the tent "says" the mission text.

Edit: Forgot to say -- I place the Tryker inside the tent, which make him invisible (thank to his size) but you can still click and interact with him.

sx4rlet October 6th, 2006 05:21 PM

Re: 101 ways to use a Tryker

hahaha, I already love the title! Shame I have to wait till sunday to log in...

kokunze October 6th, 2006 05:55 PM

I needed some kind of "status marker" which can be on or off. It was needed to say, "if already that happened, then..." but there is no counter or something to use. So i used a tryker and placed him inside a house.(so he was invisible) I named him "switch" and let him spawn, when the conditions were met ;)

norvic October 7th, 2006 12:28 PM

eee reduced to markers and switches, the shame of it!

But good tip :)

nephy13 November 2nd, 2006 10:09 PM

For all of the situations I can imagine (I accept there could be many other situations...), you can avoid using "artificial" flags by properly querying the entities in the game. For example, to see if a timer has completed, then query "finished" on it rather then using the timer trigger to set an external flag. To flag that a specific zone has ever been entered, just deactivate the zone when it is triggered (since you only need to trigger the zone-entry once in this case, it would be correct to deactivate it when it triggers anyway).

If you *really* need to make a flag, I'd suggest the best way is to create a non-creature like a dialog (which is always invisible) and use active/inactive as your flag value. Be aware that doing this will put Trykers out of work...

For a counter, you could use a timer that is paused (Put it as active in the editor and add an on-activated event that pauses it). You set the initial timer value to, say, 5 "seconds" and then you can add or subtract from this value. You will get the timer triggering when value becomes 0. You can alternatively query the "finished" flag to see whether the current value == 0.

Please be aware that if you set the initial time to 5 seconds, then you can only count down 4 times before the timer is triggered (I've tested this a few times and it seems consistent). Presumably the timer counts down once before you can pause it. So, if you want a counter for 5, then set the intial value to 6. Additionally, you must be aware that it would be reasonable for Neveraxx to change this behaviour on a whim, since this is not really what timers are for.

*Warning! Using these tricks is an ungodly fudge of the highest order and will prevent you from ever getting to programmer heaven*