Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Questions for Beyond Silan
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   Newcomer Welcome Board (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Questions for Beyond Silan (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=31719)

50kal November 7th, 2007 01:22 PM

Questions for Beyond Silan

Hi

I’m living in South Africa and only picked up ADSL 2 months ago.

I've been mainly playing FPS style games online, and still am, but I wanted to try the MMORPG scene as well.
So I decided to take a look at the MMORPGs available, and..... well the choices sucked, they were all so bland and looked like Diablo Online, don't get me wrong, I loved Diablo 2 and wasted a lot of my life playing it, but that was not what I was looking for.

Then I came across Ryzom, and I was intrigued, and when I found out about the free trial I downloaded & installed it immediately.
And I enjoyed it, until I hit the level cap a few days later, must have missed that info on the "unlimited" trial page. ;-)

Anyway, I'm really tempted to go further, but the Trial doesn't really answer many questions, especially involving the leveling and skills.
I think a few more levels in the Cap would have helped, but anyway.

I've searched.... alot, and found answers to many of my questions from Manuals, Guides and a forums, but I still have a few, and I'm sure some other unsure 'freeloaders' ;-) have some questions to, so if the experienced players would be so kind as to help answer a few it would be much appreciated.

50kal November 7th, 2007 01:36 PM

Re: Questions for Beyond Silan

1. Is the Ranged Tree of weapons balanced and a viabale primary weapon skill?

2. Just want to confirm the Manual. What types of animals can you have, and how many can you have at one time?

3. Can you buy a home/building for your own character, and what types?

4. Can guilds buy buildings, and what types?

5. Do you guys have Race/Guild wars, or mainly PvE?

6. How many hours will it take to get a character to level 150 in one skill?

7. What level should I be when I leave Silan?

8. Not sure if anyone knows, but how many (reasonable active) people are there still playing Ryzom?

9. I'm in a different time zone, GMT+2, so when would be the best time to find alot of players online over the weekend?

10. How many characters do most of you have, cause there doesn't seem much reason to have more than one?

11. If I register tommorrow & pay for one month, will I be able to play from the 8th of November to the 8th of December, or will it automatically default to standard month, ie: now till end of November?

12. Finally, with the currently problems around Ryzom ownership, in your opinion is the game still worth it and active enough?

50kal November 7th, 2007 01:37 PM

PS: Thanks for your replies.

skifryan November 7th, 2007 02:32 PM

1. The ranged tree is not a very good skill to start with. It requires a lot of digging and crafting to use.

2. There is only one type of animal you can buy, Mektoubs. (Elephant-like things). There are Mektoub Packers(which hold a lot of stuff) and Mektoub Mounts(which don't hold much stuff but you can ride). You can have 3 packers and 1 Mount. Packers come in different speeds and HPs.

3. You can buy an apartment, but it is only for holding items. You can't decorate it.

4. Guilds can buy Guild Halls, which are also for holding items, but hold more than apartments.

5. Most PvP these days is Alliance vs. Alliance. Guilds fight over "outposts"(which produce helpful items), and their Alliances(usually based on faction, but faction doesn't decide who you can help in a battle). There is also flagged PvP, which is Faction vs Faction.

6. Depends if you use "catalyzers" (experience doublers you get from outposts) and the efficiency of your hunting. If you work on one skill, you could get to 150 quite fast. I also helps to have a good guild or some friends that can help you level.

7. You should finish all the missions on silan, until yoiu think you know what you're doing.

8. Well, at this bad time, many are still playing other games while we wait for any news of Ryzom being bought. During normal times(before the bankruptcy) there were many people around. Our community actually talks to eachother here, so you won't really be lonely even as a newbie.

9. Players can be found around the clock. The game has many european players that would be online when you are.

10. Alts aren't necessary, but players find it fun to return to silan sometimes :)

11. Assuming you COULD register tomorrow, yes, it will be 1 month from the date you subscribe.

12. The population will be back to normal when the game is bought. However, there are still enough people around to play with. :)

Sorry for short replies, but I didn't have much time :)

kuroari November 7th, 2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

1. Is the Ranged Tree of weapons balanced and a viabale primary weapon skill?

Pure opinion i'd say.. some people can do it and others cant.. why? needs a lot of crafting to make your own ammo or find someone that can make the ammo for you! besides from that, i'm convinced ranged weapon is viable primary weapon

Quote:

2. Just want to confirm the Manual. What types of animals can you have, and how many can you have at one time?

you can only have mektoub packers (3 of em) and a mount to ride. the packers carry your things, the mount carries you :)

Quote:

3. Can you buy a home/building for your own character, and what types?

Sorta, you buy an apartment which is more like buying 'bulk space' to store your things in. sadly these are content that have not been capitalized on.

Quote:

4. Can guilds buy buildings, and what types?

same as above, only this one all guildmembers can access and all High Officers + guild leader can access the items within

Quote:

5. Do you guys have Race/Guild wars, or mainly PvE?

i'd say a decent mix of both. its religion-wars though. Kami vs Karavan. for those of us that are ingenious slick bastards *pats chest proudly* - Neutral Rogues that will only fight for money!!

Quote:

that depends, how do you play? Me? i like to stop and smell the humus. takes me several months. Sunce? 2-3 days :p

Quote:

7. What level should I be when I leave Silan?

when you feel comfortable. the beginning area of any city is very like Silan, minus the very helpful NPCs. however you get much better assisstance from a community that is way too friendly for our own good.

Quote:

8. Not sure if anyone knows, but how many (reasonable active) people are there still playing Ryzom?

NO IDEA. but Universe chat gets pretty busy at times.

Quote:

9. I'm in a different time zone, GMT+2, so when would be the best time to find alot of players online over the weekend?

we play all times of the day mate. some people forgot what 'sleep' means

Quote:

10. How many characters do most of you have, cause there doesn't seem much reason to have more than one?

i have 4!! Nightblade, Vionn, Teoh, Dzaiur. (i use duo accounts though) . Nightblade and Dzaiur are for the mainland, Vionn and Teoh for Silan to help out the little'uns.

Quote:

11. If I register tommorrow & pay for one month, will I be able to play from the 8th of November to the 8th of December, or will it automatically default to standard month, ie: now till end of November?

i thought you was running around on the forums? you can't pay yet as far as i know.... not until somone buys the game.. (look more closely at official news)

however, it _would_ be 30 days, nothing to do with the month of the year.

Quote:

12. Finally, with the currently problems around Ryzom ownership, in your opinion is the game still worth it and active enough?

oh, oops, answered my statement in 11 with this one!! i'm here. many of my good friends are still here. most of us won't go away until they FORCE us too. if they'd let you get on the mainland, i'd be confused as to why you werent there with us already!!!!

blaah November 7th, 2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

this one depends on if you have (most important first) equipment, do you have extra damage dealer and/or healer and do you have access to xp cats.

if you have all that, then it can be measured by hours (not 2 or 3, but less than a day ;-). no quests/missions that give xp on mainland. all pure grind on "one" spot.

getting to 250 (max), will take a bit longer.

50kal November 7th, 2007 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, kuroari, this is great, except for number 11 that is, I thought they would still let people buy their product. ;-)

Oh well, I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. I just hope things come right.

EDIT: Thanks blaah, that's not as bad as I thought. I usually aim for mid level with RPGs at that's where I have the most fun.

kuroari November 7th, 2007 03:21 PM

problem is - no one -really- owns the game, so no one can accept payment at the moment :/ so who's "their" game ? we don't know whats going on but the french government has control of it atm (i think?)

50kal November 7th, 2007 04:53 PM

Well here's hoping things get sorted out soon, and in the mean time.... "Viva la France"

petersk November 7th, 2007 06:54 PM

Welcome to Ryzom, even if it comes a bit late. Your interest and appreciation of Ryzom will only grow once you get to the mainland. As was stated by Nightblade, there are people playing 24 hours a day, so someone is always around. Hope to see on the ML soon.

katriell November 7th, 2007 07:27 PM

Welcome. :)

50kal November 7th, 2007 09:12 PM

Thanks Guys.

This just shows me, if they would let me, I would register now.

50kal November 13th, 2007 01:00 PM

I know this may sound a bit desparate, but I am Desparate.
I'm still playing Trial and I've now created 3 characters and leveled them up to 20. Still harvesting with my Main a bit.

But I really want to go further.
Are any of the Devs or anyone else still left looking after Ryzom who can remove the Trial Cap (as was actually planned), or were they all dropped immediately after GameForge declared Bankruptcy.
(I'm not sure about the French/German Laws & Regulations regarding this.)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

zelee November 13th, 2007 04:48 PM

I doubt there are any devs left. :(

But there are other goals you can set for yourself while waiting for registration. For instance - do you already have your first million of dappers? Can you solo Arken and his group? Did you kill all the Ocyx without dying? Did you explore the Kitin jungle? Did you kill the Kirosta in group of two or three people? Can you solo the Dominant Cray? All this can be done with correctly built 20ish character, if you find out how.

50kal November 13th, 2007 06:06 PM

What I thought, but had to Ask.

Done most of that stuff or getting close, except the Million Dappers, I don't thinks that's possible in the Trial, or will take forever.
But I also want to level, I can see all those skills just past level 20 looking at me, just out of reach. 8-(

Also feels a bit like wasting XP, killing but not getting XP for it.

Thanks anyway, Here's holding thumbs for someone to pick up Ryzom, and soon. 8-)

acridiel November 13th, 2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50kal

Also feels a bit like wasting XP, killing but not getting XP for it.

How can you waste something, you donīt even get?

And let me please tell you, XP arenīt everything. Espacially in a Game like Ryzom.
Thereīs so much to do besides grinding XP and getting to the Top Levels.
*sigh*
Why do people tend to think more in ways of Numbers when "playing", than actually play... :(

Anyway, we all hope someone will pick up where Nevrax left.

CU
Acridiel

ajsuk November 13th, 2007 08:39 PM

RE: ^^
Gawd, what a moaner. The dudes apparently done most of the missions (good going btw) & now wouldn't mind leveling some past 20 rather than doing the same thing all over again with even more characters, whats wrong with that?

Having such a bitch at other peoples play-style isn't exactly a constructive way of going about demonstrating your own.

kuroari November 13th, 2007 10:10 PM

*grins* jeez Acri, great way to welcome a homin! :p i really don't think he's moaning about "XP XP XP" .. there's not -that- much to do on silan really.. i have a number of alts that i've had run through more or less all the normal quests, but when you get frozen about this or that thing, its a pain in the rear i tell ya! the levels would be extremely useful!

edit :: just ask kalindra/sherkalynn.. poor girl was stuck on silan for a LONG time without ability to pay to play AND on a laggy computer.. she knows how it is :p

acridiel November 13th, 2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsuk
RE: ^^
Gawd, what a moaner. The dudes apparently done most of the missions (good going btw) & now wouldn't mind leveling some past 20 rather than doing the same thing all over again with even more characters, whats wrong with that?

Having such a bitch at other peoples play-style isn't exactly a constructive way of going about demonstrating your own.

Uhm, I think there was a bit of a missunderstanding here.... Oo

This wasnīt at all intended as a rant against him.
Just a side remark on how I do not understand that particular way of Gameing.
If I missinterpreted his post then I apologize most profundly.

I commend his will to stay in the Game despite the difficutlties and all...
but well, I DO find it very sad, that many players do tend to go after XP alone and nothing more.
Let them have their fun, Iīm the last one to forbid them, or actually criticise that, but I just donīt get it.
Whatīs wrong with that?

CU
Acridiel

kalindra November 13th, 2007 11:51 PM

Yup ! 4 months, with lag, on a laptop, enjoy ! :D What I did was mostly guide the other newcommers around (when the lag allowed me), answer their questions, hunt (a lot), dig (a bit) and craft my Arken DP away (because it was my only branch that wasn't capped). No XP, but tons of dappers.

The hunt : I hunted mostly some izams and Weanling bodocs, because I could kill them without difficulty (low cooldown on stat regeneration and I could kill them in 1-2 hits) and sold the materials on the merchant at 45-50% so the new crafters wouldn't ruin themselves on NPC materials to craft their first q10 boots.

The dig : At level 20, it is fairly hard to have digging as a source of income, mostly because it is SLOW as hell. What do you get, 2 mats, maybe 3 per source if you're lucky enough ? I dug only when I was tired of hunting. Now I spend most of my time digging. And it pays... a lot.

On Atys, generosity pays, not millions though, well... not always millions. But if you're generous and helpful, it is highly probable that people will have that attiturde towards you in return. When I left Silan, I had 700k + dappers, which is not a lot for mainland, but is a fortune on Silan (I had more money than I could spend already), but the dappers come much faster and easier now.

Welcome on Atys, where the currency's value is close to nothing and if you listen to me you'll become a dapper hungry mercenary. :P *giggles*

Oh and... I wouldn't have stayed so long if it wasn't from my guild supporting me and cheering me up during that loooong wait. *hugs Nightblade* I won't be offended if you think I'm insane. I am.

mwdowns November 14th, 2007 03:06 AM

Great thread guys.

I'm stuck like the OP and Kalindra. I've got my main guy, Andron, maxed out, and am working on an alt, Fushigi. I've explored around the edges of the island, and I swam into the Kitin forest. Haven't had much luck with the higher level mobs, with the slow cool-down for self heals, I usually get stomped. Especially if there's more than one banging away at me.

On the XP topic: I tend to think that way, i.e. lost XP. :( I just lament the lost skill points (new spells!).

The million dapper goal sounds like a good idea. I'll shoot for that!

See ya around.

Andron
Fushigi

50kal November 14th, 2007 08:24 AM

Don't worry Acridiel, I personally took your post as, how I beleive, you intended it. And I agree playing isn't about the XP, it's about having fun.
But on the same note, it's normally more fun when you have a fair batch of the skills/spells to play with.
I personally find the mid levels to be where I have the most fun.

Also one of the main reasons I want to get to the mainland is Ranged weapons, I planned from the start to try make my Main a Ranged Figher, but there are no Ranged Weapons or even the tools to make them on Silan. 8-(

kalindra, 4 months on the Trial, WOW!!
I don't think I could have do done that, I'm not a very patient person. ;-)

Oh well, back to gathering more resources and selling crafts.

50kal November 15th, 2007 07:54 AM

Good News for... well for everyone in some way.

The Level Cap on Silan has been removed for trial players.
Around 17:30EST last night the Cap just dissappeared, one minute I wasn't gaining XP and the next I was.
I have also confirmed with other Trial players, and it was not just me.

While this is great for new arrivals & previously registered players that cannot access their accounts, this is good news all round, it shows that there is still some life in Ryzom.
Don't want to get our hopes up, but might be *Someone's* plans to keep new players involved until Ryzom is picked up.
Either way it looks like a step in the right direction.

Thanks to whoever did this, there goes the weekend.

PS: Sorry for the late post, but I didn't get much sleep last night. ;-)

kalindra November 15th, 2007 09:36 AM

GREAT :) I'm glad to hear it. It will give our newcommers a reason to stick around. For Magic and melee, the cap was bad, for craft and dig it was even worse... if you made a mistake, you could end-up not being able to use Icy Touch or Fire and Wrath...

For Silan, Jewel and Armour (especially light/heavy) craft is pretty much the most useful you can do. Especially for the HP bonus. You can dig q45 mats in the jungle. Just watch out for Kiro and the Pestas...

And, most importantly : HAVE FUN !

50kal November 15th, 2007 02:51 PM

Thanks.

Now the only thing is getting to the ML.
There are also still alot of skills not available for purchase in Silan(EG: Ranged), yes I know there is no pleasing me. 8-)

But hopefully I can build up a nice batch of extra Skill Points for when Ryzom is picked up, to buy the ones I'm missing.

Okay, back to Ryzom.

PS: You don't really need sleep do you?

zelee November 15th, 2007 05:01 PM

You'll find out that there is a "soft" cap present on Silan, due to fact that there are no really high-level animals and mats to level after lvl50, levelling gets painfully slow after that. But still, it won't stop you from having fun for some time - at least you can get your lvl20+ quests done and get your Ranger armor now. :-)

iceaxe68 November 15th, 2007 05:03 PM

OK, now I'm wanting to start a new char on Silan. I never did finish the missions and missed much of the higher level stuff there. Guess I was in too much of a hurry to get to the mainland, even with my alts.

I think I'll delete one of my disposable alts and start again.

zelee November 15th, 2007 05:08 PM

Yes, yes, come everybody, let's help the newbies to have some fun while they're stuck in the waiting area! :-)

mwdowns November 15th, 2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelee
Yes, yes, come everybody, let's help the newbies to have some fun while they're stuck in the waiting area! :-)

Yes, yes! The more the merrier! :D

50kal November 22nd, 2007 11:25 AM

Hi

Just another few questions for the Vets if they don't mind. 8-)

If you level every possible skill to 250, will you have enough SP for every Action, Stanza, Credit, etc?

Is the Skill Tree on BalisticMystic the latest version, or is there a newer one?

What is the point of the sleep spell if you have Stun?

PS: Thanks in advance.

xtarsia November 22nd, 2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Hi

Just another few questions for the Vets if they don't mind. 8-)

If you level every possible skill to 250, will you have enough SP for every Action, Stanza, Credit, etc?

Is the Skill Tree on BalisticMystic the latest version, or is there a newer one?

PS: Thanks in advance.

Yes, plenty

Yes its corect

Some mobs are immune to stun :)

50kal November 22nd, 2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtarsia
Yes, plenty
Yes its corect
Some mobs are immune to stun :)

Cool, Thanks
Just need to get off Silan now. ;-)

kalindra November 22nd, 2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Yes, you will, but getting there will take you a lot of years and no one has every single branch maxed yet, not even the multi-master ones.

Quote:

The branches are the same, but the titles have been changed ingame, I don't know if they've been changed on the tree too.

Quote:

Different mobs do not have the same resists on those spells. On a specific mob, stun will work well, on another, you have much more chances to hit with sleep. And when you train your afflictions, what really matters is that your spell hit at least once without resist.

skifryan November 22nd, 2007 10:17 PM

I'm not into affliction much, but I think there's a bigger difference between stun and sleep.

Stun: You stand and remained linked while someone kills the stunned creature.

Sleep: Puts the mob to sleep, meaning you can move around without breaking the link, as long as nothing hits the mob.

50kal November 23rd, 2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalindra
Yes, you will, but getting there will take you a lot of years and no one has every single branch maxed yet, not even the multi-master ones..

Figured, just wanted to make sure I can't nerf my Character.

Quote:

The branches are the same, but the titles have been changed ingame, I don't know if they've been changed on the tree too.

Wow, Crafting is Huge, and Wow, Magic is kinda short comparably.

Quote:

Different mobs do not have the same resists on those spells. On a specific mob, stun will work well, on another, you have much more chances to hit with sleep. And when you train your afflictions, what really matters is that your spell hit at least once without resist.

I love this game, every skill has a use.

PS: Thanks

xtarsia November 23rd, 2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skifryan
I'm not into affliction much, but I think there's a bigger difference between stun and sleep.

Stun: You stand and remained linked while someone kills the stunned creature.

Sleep: Puts the mob to sleep, meaning you can move around without breaking the link, as long as nothing hits the mob.

Not quite correct,

Sleep: You stand and remain linked, keeping the creature asleep. If any damage at all occurs to the creature the link is broken.

Moving whilst linked will always break a link. Though sometimes it seems not to straight away due to latency.

Sleep is significantly worse than stun in any given situation. If you can use stun, use it, it is far far better than sleep.

Sleep is a complete waste of time, your version would be huge improvement if only it were true. :(

zelee November 24th, 2007 02:23 AM

I found Sleep rather useful for levelling my defense magic on plants (which, obviously, canīt be feared). I open with Sleep, then Rot, then Sleep again, and finishing blow of Rot again.

50kal November 27th, 2007 10:41 AM

Well this is kinda boring at the moment.

Anyone know if there is somewhere I can find a list of all the Ryzom Skills/Actions?

durenity November 27th, 2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Well this is kinda boring at the moment.

Anyone know if there is somewhere I can find a list of all the Ryzom Skills/Actions?

http://ballisticmystix.net/?p=skilltree

50kal November 27th, 2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durenity

Thanks durenity, but I was actually looking for a list of the actions available at each level.

EDIT: Hehe, Ryzom up, nevermind.