Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - [UNOFFICIAL] Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   Technical Support (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [UNOFFICIAL] Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=32581)

muadhib August 30th, 2008 11:47 AM

[UNOFFICIAL] Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore

Hello Homins,

have you grown tired of restoring your "save" folder contents after a crash of the game client?

Have you given up setting up your landmarks or UI settings because you know you'll lose them again?

Rejoice, because these times are over! :)

Rystore is a small launcher for the Ryzom game client. I mainly wrote it because I grew tired of having to manually restore my configuration settings after a crash.

When you launch Ryzom from the launcher, it will backup all your configuration files from the "save" folder, then start the game client. If the game quits, either due to a crash or normally, it will check the integrity of your configuration files and, in case one of them got corrupted, it will offer you to restore it.

In addition, Rystore lets you manually create and restore backups for your individual characters and allow you to copy your keyboard shortcut and macro settings between your characters.

Here is a screenshot of it:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/pics/rystore.png

The light package, not including an installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, can be found here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystorenofx.zip (16 KB)

The full package, including an installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, can be found here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystore.zip (22.4 MB)

For installation instructions and everything else, please read the "Readme.txt" file in that ZIP.

The full source code (written in C#, only interesting for developers) can be downloaded here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystoresrc.zip (29 KB)

Cheers,
Fand

[ Note : This tool is an unofficial, player-created utility and as such is not supported by the CSR Team. If you encounter any problems using it, please direct them to the creator ]

blaah August 30th, 2008 12:15 PM

Re: Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore

Quote:

Originally Posted by muadhib
If you want to download it, the ZIP is 22.4 MB in size and can be found here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystore.zip

drop the dotnetfx (put a link to microsoft site to download it for those who does not already have it) and it drops to reasonable 50KiB size.

chibiarc August 30th, 2008 12:29 PM

Was already wondering why such a tiny utility is 22megs in size...

muadhib August 30th, 2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaah
drop the dotnetfx (put a link to microsoft site to download it for those who does not already have it) and it drops to reasonable 50KiB size.

That's what I first intended to do, blaah.
I decided against it for two reasons:

1. Most of the players probably don't know what dotnetfx is and if they have it, or how to check. So those would go download it off the microsoft site anyway. Hence, for them it's more convenient to include it in the package.

2. We all are playing an MMO, so I assume we all have fast internet connections. Downloading 23 MB, even if for some us 22 MB are unnecessary, is not a big deal if you have DSL or broadband.

I can put up an additional package that does not include dotnetfx though. For those who know they have it installed.

Cheers,
Fand

kaetemi August 30th, 2008 12:53 PM

I made a tool once to backup/export landmarks from your configuration files, but I was told that it is not allowed to use non-official tools to add/remove/modify/whatever any Ryzom related files.

muadhib August 30th, 2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaetemi
I made a tool once to backup/export landmarks from your configuration files, but I was told that it is not allowed to use non-official tools to add/remove/modify/whatever any Ryzom related files.

Well Rystore doesn't modify any ryzom related files. It just does automatically what you normally would do manually in windows explorer. Copy your save folder contents back and forth.

I don't see a violation of the CoC/EULA in it, but we will see what the new owner thinks soon enough, I think. ;)

Cheers,
Fand

kaetemi August 30th, 2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Well Rystore doesn't modify any ryzom related files. It just does automatically what you normally would do manually in windows explorer. Copy your save folder contents back and forth.

Save folder contents are also Ryzom related files ;)

muadhib August 30th, 2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

That is arguable.

I would say, save folder contents are very much your own personal documents. Like your word document is not owned by Microsoft just cause you used MS Word to write it.

Game saves are not included in the original distribution of the software. They are the result of your use of the software.

Hence, they are yours and you can backup and restore them as much as you want.

You may not reverse-engineer their format / structure in order to write 3rd party software to deal with those documents in a way the owner didn't intend to.

That's where I see the main difference here. Your program extracted and modified parts of the configuration files, hence you have reverse engineered the file format and wrote code that deals with the file's internal format.

I'm just copying the files as a whole. That should be fair use, really.

Cheers,
Fand

acridiel August 30th, 2008 01:54 PM

Great work anyway :p

Mind if I put it on my site do help distribute it?
Will do ASAP (at work right now, with no access to my ftp)

CU
Acridiel

muadhib August 30th, 2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acridiel
Great work anyway :p

Mind if I put it on my site do help distribute it?
Will do ASAP (at work right now, with no access to my ftp)

CU
Acridiel

Of course I don't mind. You can distribute it freely.

Cheers,
Fand

iphdrunk August 30th, 2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Imho,

We are not talking about some leet hax0r tool or similar. This is an application designed to workaround a *major/critical* bug in game by all definition, which should have been fixed by whoever months ago. Given that this is not the case, I would expect CSRs/owners to no be picky about this interpreting CoC and allow its use at least temporarily.

We don't need to discuss whether a .cfg or whatever file is / isn't part of the distribution. That said, despite having talked to Fandragor myself and knowing he did it in our interest, it goes without saying that it is nontheless an executable file that you download from the internet at your own risk (as little as risk may be in this case). Such a tool could be "verified" or "semi-officialy" distributed to avoid this.

Yours

eika609 August 30th, 2008 04:35 PM

I, for one, am thrilled about the prospect of never losing my flags again and of never having to reconfigure my UI when I log into the game.

Many thanks, Fandragor, for your work on this!

kaetemi August 30th, 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphdrunk
We are not talking about some leet hax0r tool or similar. This is an application designed to workaround a *major/critical* bug in game by all definition, which should have been fixed by whoever months ago. Given that this is not the case, I would expect CSRs/owners to no be picky about this interpreting CoC and allow its use at least temporarily.

I know, but considering what the CSRs have been shouting at me every time, you'd be better off asking if it's allowed before distributing it. Even my simple silly server speed monitor for when the server was running slow was wiped off the forum by the evil powerz of the CSRs. Just sharing with you guys what I've been told, anyways, not that it follows my personal opinion on this stuff.

d29565 August 30th, 2008 05:36 PM

I'm not sure i know what the microsoft framework thing is. Do i need that for this program (for all i know, i might already have it)?

EDIT: Nvm, i read that i do need it :) Thx anyway!

5c0rp August 30th, 2008 06:00 PM

nice work fand, thanks

azee07 August 30th, 2008 07:08 PM

thank you Fand :D, now i can play without worrying about crashes ruining my maps

whiterider August 30th, 2008 07:17 PM

Awesome, Fand. Ta!

khyle August 30th, 2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphdrunk
it goes without saying that it is nontheless an executable file that you download from the internet at your own risk (as little as risk may be in this case). Such a tool could be "verified" or "semi-officialy" distributed to avoid this.

Simple solution: peer review. Open the source and allow everybody to examine what the tool does. If there's any risk involved, someone will find it and point it out.

Just a thought ;)

kaetemi August 30th, 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khyle
Simple solution: peer review. Open the source and allow everybody to examine what the tool does. If there's any risk involved, someone will find it and point it out.

Just a thought ;)

You can easily decompile CIL executables using the .NET Reflector.

kiakaha September 3rd, 2008 11:58 PM

Re: [UNOFFICIAL] Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore

Good work Fandragor, tnx!

Just a question: does it work with the /multi switch?

Oh and could you please please pretty please make the save location a user option? I really don't like programs putting stuff in My Documents automatically.

dsx1138 September 6th, 2008 08:21 PM

Links seem to be down, this tool looks like it will solve my crash-on-exit headaches

irukandji September 7th, 2008 04:57 PM

Link is down. I am glad someone came up with this. The flag debacle was, well, a debacle.

muadhib September 8th, 2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irukandji
Link is down. I am glad someone came up with this. The flag debacle was, well, a debacle.

Links should work again. Sorry for the temporary downtime.

Cheers,
Fand

5c0rp September 10th, 2008 03:03 PM

can always host the files for you fand if you have hosting issues.

dsx1138 September 11th, 2008 12:13 AM

Thanks for the link updates, it seems to work great so far, though it's curious that a char name appears in list that I didn't create. My char is Drakhan, but "R2ed_drakhan" also appears.

muadhib September 12th, 2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsx1138
Thanks for the link updates, it seems to work great so far, though it's curious that a char name appears in list that I didn't create. My char is Drakhan, but "R2ed_drakhan" also appears.

Hehe, yeah that's your Ring editor configuration. I never visited the Ring editor, so I wasn't aware the game created this kind of configuration.

I could probably add some filter to the code to filter out Ring configs, but maybe it's not so bad if you can backup these configs as well.

Cheers,
Fand

jared96 September 13th, 2008 08:50 PM

""Rystore will create a "Rystore" folder in your "My Documents" folder. That's where it will copy all your character's configuration files if you manually backup them. I don't recommend to delete or rename files or folders in this folder."

I would suggest creating a folder within the Ryzom directory or just putting the backups in the save directory. One of the best things about Ryzom is copying the entire Ryzom folder over to a USB thingie, DVD or whatever and bringing it with you wherever you go w/o havingto reinstall or search the HD for "other" files. I keep a current copy of my Ryzom folder on my USB thingie and take it wherevere I go, ready to copy to a hotel PC, friend's PC, office PC whatever.

What I have been doing since the patch that introduced this bug is simply zip the files to "save[date].zip" right within the save folder and simply unzip to restore any time they get fudged.

jam2005 September 18th, 2008 11:45 PM

I launched Ryzom with this last night, played for a few hours and managed to quit without a crash... I just tried to do it again and wound up starting the process of getting a 183.4MB patch. Upon being told there was no new patch today I exited, restarted with my old-fashioned ryzom.exe, and wound up needing just an 11MB patch - probably to fix whatever I'd just been allowing to happen.

Not sure if the issue was caused by Rystore or my fruitcake of a computer, but I figured it was worth a mention.

Edit: Tried launching with Rystore again the following day and it worked just fine, so I think I'll blame the Ryzom background downloader. :p

muadhib September 20th, 2008 10:34 AM

Hiya Tshael,

Rystore just runs the "client_ryzom_rd.exe" in your Ryzom folder, just as if you ran it from windows explorer.

There's no other "magic" happening in Rystore, so I doubt it can influence the way the background patching mechanism works.

Since the game is back, I haven't seen the patcher download *anything* here on my system, and I'm logging on at least once a day. So I believe there hasn't been any bug fixes / patches released by the new devs yet.

But yeah, its kinda weird other people report actually downloading files for patch, I heard this from a number of players now.

katore September 21st, 2008 07:35 PM

I could really use this utility!

I downloaded the "light" version as I already have .Net running - I think it's 3.5. I put Rystore.exe in the Ryzom folder, created a shortcut to the desktop, but no character appears. Start, re-start, nothing.

I run 64 bit Vista. I'm wondering if this is because I don't have a "My Documents" folder - or at least a folder with that name. Or if the Net Framework version differences are to blame.

Is there something you can suggest other than "get rid of Vista"?

Thank you!

Katore

muadhib September 23rd, 2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katore
I downloaded the "light" version as I already have .Net running - I think it's 3.5. I put Rystore.exe in the Ryzom folder, created a shortcut to the desktop, but no character appears. Start, re-start, nothing.

I run 64 bit Vista. I'm wondering if this is because I don't have a "My Documents" folder - or at least a folder with that name. Or if the Net Framework version differences are to blame.

Hm... strange. I will look into it on my Vista 64 box when I find time this week.

Cheers,
Fand

katore September 25th, 2008 04:09 AM

Great. Thank you!

I looked in my c:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ryzom \ Save folder and there's only 1 file there "string_client.pack". I'm wondering where the save file would be in case I want to try to manually back up the bookmarks.

Do you think I should put the Ryzom folder inside my user folder?

Thanks!

Katore

muadhib September 25th, 2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katore
Great. Thank you!

I looked in my c:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ryzom \ Save folder and there's only 1 file there "string_client.pack". I'm wondering where the save file would be in case I want to try to manually back up the bookmarks.

Do you think I should put the Ryzom folder inside my user folder?

Thanks!

Katore

Hm... actually your save files should be exactly where you looked, in your ...\Ryzom\Save folder. If they aren't there, even after running the game and exiting it normally, it means the game didn't manage to successfully save into the save folder. Make sure

A) your Ryzom AND Save folders have write access
B) you run Ryzom with Administrator rights

If you still don't get any save files, you don't need to bother with Rystore, because then it means Rystore will never get any files to backup from running the game.

Cheers,
Fand

katore September 25th, 2008 11:50 PM

Aha! That was the problem. My Ryzom folder didn't have write permissions and I wasn't running Ryzom with Admin rights.

When I changed both, my character name showed up inside Rystore and I'm able to save the configs.

Thank you so much for helping me with this!

Katore

khyle September 28th, 2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

You can easily decompile CIL executables using the .NET Reflector.

Provided of course the (closed source) .NET Reflector is only what it pretends to be ;)

muadhib September 29th, 2008 08:30 PM

Khyle, I followed your suggestion and put a link to the zipped source code in the original post. With that, I think we don't need to discuss what the .NET Reflector is or isn't.

Cheers,
Fand

khyle September 29th, 2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Khyle, I followed your suggestion and put a link to the zipped source code in the original post. With that, I think we don't need to discuss what the .NET Reflector is or isn't.

Cheers,
Fand

Great decision, much obliged!

kiakaha September 30th, 2008 10:50 AM

Yes, thank you for posting the source. Now I can change the destination directory myself :)

./wave

danebramage October 31st, 2008 08:57 PM

Can you write a Linux version of Rystore? Wine doesn't emulate the .NET framework, I can't get authentic Microsoft .NET to install in Linux, and it's still up in the air whether I'm going to be able to get Mono loaded in order to defeat the problem that way. A Linux version would be sooooo much simpler...

I'm not a programmer or I'd do it myself, as it sounds like all you're doing is copying files and launching the program.

Please? Pretty please? ;)