Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - [UNOFFICIAL] Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   Technical Support (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [UNOFFICIAL] Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=32581)

muadhib August 30th, 2008 11:47 AM

[UNOFFICIAL] Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore

Hello Homins,

have you grown tired of restoring your "save" folder contents after a crash of the game client?

Have you given up setting up your landmarks or UI settings because you know you'll lose them again?

Rejoice, because these times are over! :)

Rystore is a small launcher for the Ryzom game client. I mainly wrote it because I grew tired of having to manually restore my configuration settings after a crash.

When you launch Ryzom from the launcher, it will backup all your configuration files from the "save" folder, then start the game client. If the game quits, either due to a crash or normally, it will check the integrity of your configuration files and, in case one of them got corrupted, it will offer you to restore it.

In addition, Rystore lets you manually create and restore backups for your individual characters and allow you to copy your keyboard shortcut and macro settings between your characters.

Here is a screenshot of it:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/pics/rystore.png

The light package, not including an installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, can be found here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystorenofx.zip (16 KB)

The full package, including an installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, can be found here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystore.zip (22.4 MB)

For installation instructions and everything else, please read the "Readme.txt" file in that ZIP.

The full source code (written in C#, only interesting for developers) can be downloaded here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystoresrc.zip (29 KB)

Cheers,
Fand

[ Note : This tool is an unofficial, player-created utility and as such is not supported by the CSR Team. If you encounter any problems using it, please direct them to the creator ]

blaah August 30th, 2008 12:15 PM

Re: Rystore - Ryzom launch pad and configuration backup / restore

Quote:

Originally Posted by muadhib
If you want to download it, the ZIP is 22.4 MB in size and can be found here:
http://www.jewe.org/ryzom/rystore.zip

drop the dotnetfx (put a link to microsoft site to download it for those who does not already have it) and it drops to reasonable 50KiB size.

chibiarc August 30th, 2008 12:29 PM

Was already wondering why such a tiny utility is 22megs in size...

muadhib August 30th, 2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaah
drop the dotnetfx (put a link to microsoft site to download it for those who does not already have it) and it drops to reasonable 50KiB size.

That's what I first intended to do, blaah.
I decided against it for two reasons:

1. Most of the players probably don't know what dotnetfx is and if they have it, or how to check. So those would go download it off the microsoft site anyway. Hence, for them it's more convenient to include it in the package.

2. We all are playing an MMO, so I assume we all have fast internet connections. Downloading 23 MB, even if for some us 22 MB are unnecessary, is not a big deal if you have DSL or broadband.

I can put up an additional package that does not include dotnetfx though. For those who know they have it installed.

Cheers,
Fand

kaetemi August 30th, 2008 12:53 PM

I made a tool once to backup/export landmarks from your configuration files, but I was told that it is not allowed to use non-official tools to add/remove/modify/whatever any Ryzom related files.

muadhib August 30th, 2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaetemi
I made a tool once to backup/export landmarks from your configuration files, but I was told that it is not allowed to use non-official tools to add/remove/modify/whatever any Ryzom related files.

Well Rystore doesn't modify any ryzom related files. It just does automatically what you normally would do manually in windows explorer. Copy your save folder contents back and forth.

I don't see a violation of the CoC/EULA in it, but we will see what the new owner thinks soon enough, I think. ;)

Cheers,
Fand

kaetemi August 30th, 2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muadhib
Well Rystore doesn't modify any ryzom related files. It just does automatically what you normally would do manually in windows explorer. Copy your save folder contents back and forth.

Save folder contents are also Ryzom related files ;)

muadhib August 30th, 2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaetemi
Save folder contents are also Ryzom related files ;)

That is arguable.

I would say, save folder contents are very much your own personal documents. Like your word document is not owned by Microsoft just cause you used MS Word to write it.

Game saves are not included in the original distribution of the software. They are the result of your use of the software.

Hence, they are yours and you can backup and restore them as much as you want.

You may not reverse-engineer their format / structure in order to write 3rd party software to deal with those documents in a way the owner didn't intend to.

That's where I see the main difference here. Your program extracted and modified parts of the configuration files, hence you have reverse engineered the file format and wrote code that deals with the file's internal format.

I'm just copying the files as a whole. That should be fair use, really.

Cheers,
Fand

acridiel August 30th, 2008 01:54 PM

Great work anyway :p

Mind if I put it on my site do help distribute it?
Will do ASAP (at work right now, with no access to my ftp)

CU
Acridiel

muadhib August 30th, 2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acridiel
Great work anyway :p

Mind if I put it on my site do help distribute it?
Will do ASAP (at work right now, with no access to my ftp)

CU
Acridiel

Of course I don't mind. You can distribute it freely.

Cheers,
Fand