Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Ring Scenario Status Notifier
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   Adventure designers hints and exchanges (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Ring Scenario Status Notifier (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=32772)

nuitwaters September 16th, 2008 05:41 AM

Ring Scenario Status Notifier

One thing I implemented today in one of my publicly accessible Ring scenarios is a NPC that announces in /around in the instance what the current status is of the Scenario.

I ran into this issue when I publicly advertised the posting of my event and had an quick influx of players. What I didn't realize is what someone would do when they jump in while the Act is currently in progress. They get lost.

So, with this new Scenario Status NPC, I linked the first quest in the series that the player gets and added an event that when the quest is accepted, the Scenario Status NPC that is located right in front of the player when they login runs a looping dialog with delay that echos a warning that the Act is in progress and to please be patient.

I also went ahead and duplicated this same NPC to tell teh incoming player that the scenario is open and no players are currently running the quest line.

I thought it was a good idea to pass along and can get more detailed if need be.

chibiarc September 16th, 2008 06:28 AM

Re: Ring Scenario Status Notifier

It is always tricky for adventure type scenarios to manage the players. One idea I like very much was to block the path with a huge jubla or some other stuff + status info, so the players really have to wait.

Though it's not very nice but little can be done as ring scenarios arent single player instances but global "maps". I try a different approach and design my scenarios for a mass of people that can join anytime and the scenario resets itself after completion.

nuitwaters September 16th, 2008 06:32 AM

Re: Ring Scenario Status Notifier

Let me know when you have one of these up Chibi as I would definitely like to see this.