Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Let's talk about the ring!
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   The Ryzom Ring (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Let's talk about the ring! (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=33949)

901941 April 14th, 2009 04:24 PM

Let's talk about the ring!

One of the contents that keep me interested besides the lore is the ring. Not much has been mentioned to improve the ring. Are there plans to add any of the suggestion posted here?

vonzuben April 14th, 2009 06:41 PM

Re: Let's talk about the ring!

I love the ring but had to stop using it.

The first patch applied by SW introduced 2 severe bugs, one that stops the author from accessing their own scenario, and another that gets players stuck in the ring. I was able to work around those and ran “Who Let the Dogs Out” for a month.

The third patch (i.e. during event with KPs) introduced a 3rd severe bug. Basically it makes the potential to for players to get stuck in the ring even greater and rather consistent. With this I decided I must give up on the ring until they fix it.

Like I say I LOVE the ring. I’d love to finish my next scenario called “Kitin Lickin”. But after reporting in great detail these 3 bugs plus many other less severe ones, I have heard nothing. A CSR did ask questions about it, but nothing back since (we are talking over a month now from my most recent bug report).

So my take on the ring… screw any additions of new suggestions for now. First just make it useable. In its current state it should be shut down. In its current state it will scare people away from ever wanting to use the ring. I’m very disheartened by this.

suib0m April 14th, 2009 06:59 PM

Wasn't one of the recent updates supposed to *fix* the player sticking issue? Hmm.. I haven't played with the ring since just after the previous Loria event, but can't make one live so I've not played much... I was so looking forward to being able to explore it more after fixing my sub... this news makes me sad :(.

Peace,
- Sui

sidusar April 14th, 2009 08:20 PM

Oh gods, let's not. :o You'll find naught but sadness there.

Last year I made a scenario for Halloween and then one for Christmas and they were fairly well received, but since that I haven't used the Ring in 3 months now. Partly because I just haven't found the time anymore, but half of the players being unable to use the Ring at all until they get billing set up has not been very encouraging to make time either...

And then I heard from other Ring creators about those new bugs and confirmed them for myself, so yeah... :(

It saddens me a lot, because I had 3 more projects on the todo-list I would've really liked to finish, and a dozen more vague ideas I'd have liked to work out someday. But there's just no point while only 10-20% of the playerbase is even capable of using the Ring without issues.

And with the new owners seemingly putting emphasis on story and roleplay and giving more power and more active roles to the players, it disappoints me they're completely ignoring the Ring, which if it worked properly and just got a few additions could still be a very powerful tool to support this kind of play.

Fix those bugs, get billing back up or do something else to give every player Ring-access, and let us host the scenarios without having to bloody babysit them, and I'll start happily churning out scenarios again until the end of Ryzom's or my days. :p

suib0m April 14th, 2009 08:46 PM

On that last note, we don't really know what the devs are up to. The events and RP stuff seems more centric to what the GM/Event staff are doing to bolster interest, but we really have no clue (that I've seen) of where dev is going. My hopes are still up that they will address the Ring (but I'm obviously an optimist as far as this game goes).

Peace,
- Sui

vonzuben April 14th, 2009 08:47 PM

I get the impression that they have no idea that they have done things that have affected the ring.

Another bug that I reported is that they have somehow impacted “getting stuck on Terrain”. My Christmas scenario ran for a month, almost 24x7, and nothing (i.e. the mobs) were getting stuck on terrain. I then tried it out recently and since the patches, this scenario untouched has mobs getting stuck all over the place. I suspect I could fix it but they need to realize that when they change crap, THEY NEED TO TEST THE RING TOO or otherwise shut it down and stop scaring people away from ever wanting to try it.

Another thing… Did you know, heck do the DEVS even know, that each time they do the weekly maintenance server restart, you can instead of logging out, simply go into a ring scenario, happily play, then when the worlds come back up, exit and continue playing (works fine assuming you manage to avoid the “stuck in the ring bug”). My point here is that they ignore the ring for server restarts. For all we know, the new bugs come from simply leaving the darn ring server up forever, or not keeping something in sync when patching or doing server restarts.

sidusar April 14th, 2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonzuben
Did you know, heck do the DEVS even know, that each time they do the weekly maintenance server restart, you can instead of logging out, simply go into a ring scenario, happily play, then when the worlds come back up, exit and continue playing

Yup, happened to me several times that the servers went down as I was editing, it's quite amusing. :p

First time it happened, "Marelli has left guild Reapers of the Dark." WTF? :o

0balgus0 April 15th, 2009 07:44 PM

I can't access the ring. =x

sidusar April 15th, 2009 09:54 PM

Puh, I wouldn't let you into my scenarios anyway. :p

But yeah, Inactive Member and all that, exactly what I was getting at. Too many people that can't even access it. :rolleyes: