Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Dialogue - choices?
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   The Ryzom Ring (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Dialogue - choices? (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=34142)

suib0m May 15th, 2009 03:04 PM

Dialogue - choices?

Hey all,

I'm workin on a scenario and things are going pretty smooth so far. However, I'm at a point where it would be very useful to have a dialog with multiple choice options. I've found the {break} directive, but I'm not finding anything about choices. I did investigate mainland dialogues, such as with the city welcomer, but those appear to be mission texts. I didn't find a Ring task that was similar. Any pointers? Or is it just not possible right now?

Peace,
- Sui

acridiel May 15th, 2009 03:15 PM

Re: Dialogue - choices?

Damn, someone had that one figured out, but I can´t find it too.
And I believe it was in German anyway... I´ll ask around with our programming cracks ;)

CU
Acridiel

sidusar May 16th, 2009 02:00 PM

There is a (somewhat clumsy) way to make dialog choices that I think usually suffices for most purposes - go take a look at the example scenario "Trigio's plight", in the second act, and see how it's done there. I think you'll get the idea better than I can explain it here. :)

sx4rlet May 16th, 2009 07:50 PM

Sounds like I have something to learn in the ring....

I thought dialogue choices could only be done like the matrix; if you want this, take the red pill, if you don't, then take the blue pill...

sidusar May 19th, 2009 12:30 PM

Except that in the Ring it becomes; "if you want this, kill the red yubo, if you don't, then kill the blue yubo"? ;)

vonzuben May 19th, 2009 08:57 PM

In my last one, I gave choices by having you click on the NPC with the name of the choice you want. First you talked to one NPC who would tell you to make a choice by talking to the correct NPC next to him. Then 3 NPCs would appear, and their names were the choices. You can also have them click on scenery items like signs, but there’s no way to have “text over the item” like you can do with an NPC.

suib0m May 19th, 2009 09:37 PM

That's pretty much how I dealt with it.

Click on NPC -
"Hello homin. You have a choice to make. These are my siblings. If you feel are a stinky gibbai clown, choose Hairy Bozo. If you feel you are a godlike warrior that is the ultimate in homin skill, choose Yerso D'Lusional. Choose wisely, young hobbi..er.. homin."

Not the exact words I used in my scenario, but you get the picture :). Otherwise, I would use a scenery object interaction of the same nature. Pauses and dialog steps do the rest.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone :)

Peace,
- Sui

sx4rlet May 19th, 2009 11:24 PM

sounds like we all do it the same way, more or less...

Doing it with dialog would be a nice extra tho!

sidusar May 21st, 2009 03:06 PM

I'd honestly like to just have some proper dialog first. :rolleyes:

We all do it with the "run dialog if NPC is targeted by player" event, but that's often enough not very convenient. Why can't we have the type of dialog that's used on the mainland, wherein you target the NPC first and then click again (or rightclick and select an option from the list) to trigger their dialog?

It would be possible to engineer this in the Ring if the "Talk To Task Step" allowed the same NPC to be both the quest giver and the quest receiver, but we can't even do that. :(

chibiarc September 25th, 2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidusar
Why can't we have the type of dialog that's used on the mainland, wherein you target the NPC first and then click again (or rightclick and select an option from the list) to trigger their dialog?

Because it's the Ryzom Ring. It has to be extra hard and confusing so people won't bother using it and notice all the bugs. :D