Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Ryzom: The Movie ? (aka Avatar)
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   General (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ryzom: The Movie ? (aka Avatar) (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=34700)

jared96 December 24th, 2009 08:08 PM

Ryzom: The Movie ? (aka Avatar)

Spent yesterday w/ the kids at the movies and saw three hour GFX fest with big tall skinny blue guys (and gals) who live in a jungle world world being invaded by "people from the sky" who carry space age guns and need to wear masks in order walk around the planet they are mining while being in conflict with the spirit of a living planet.

Forgot to mention the giant Izam Boss the main character rides....or the black varynx he fights.

Excellent movie BTW, but I could help noticing parallel after parallel to our own little world.

sidusar December 24th, 2009 09:00 PM

Re: Ryzom: The Movie ? (aka Avatar)

Clearly Ryzom is far ahead of it's time. :)

acridiel December 25th, 2009 03:04 AM

Funnily people on WoW and Aion Forums say the same, about the movie.
Itīs always the same. *shrugs*

CU
Acridiel

chibiarc December 25th, 2009 12:10 PM

Hey FF! Nice to see you still around. Can't agree more, wish we had a Ryzom CG Movie one day too :D

sidusar December 25th, 2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acridiel
Funnily people on WoW and Aion Forums say the same, about the movie.
Itīs always the same. *shrugs*l

They do?

Must be other elements of the movie they're referring to then? :confused:

But yes, the sci-fi technology versus magic/nature is becoming a popular theme for years, Ryzom was still one of the first I came in contact with though. :)

acridiel December 25th, 2009 04:20 PM

Mostly theyīre referring to "this one region looking like that one region in the movie", or "This animal, looking like this MOB" and stuff.
Luckily they donīt have big blue people ;)

CU
Acridiel

gcaldani January 4th, 2010 12:59 AM

The movie is not yet released in italy but i've seen some extensive trailer and i can say with no doubt that the blue people are a mix between the zoraï, the matis (the nose is clearly a matis one) and the Andorian people (ears come from Curvus the Heretic, if anyone remember that game :p). The scenes were too fast (and cut) to clearly judge the animals.

Waiting to see the movie in few days.

omgdh January 4th, 2010 01:57 AM

The movie is really great... I guess that is what I ever wanted to see on screen :)

I agree that there are many parallels to Atys, like said before the planet and it's ecosystem share loads of similarities.
James Cameron stated, that he wrote the movie compiling all the sci-fi/fantasy books he ever read. I'm sure that, when Neverax made Ryzom, they also didn't invent things but adapt and copy from other sources, mixing them with own ideas. I admit, my knowledge on other virtual worlds is still very limited, but I'm sure, that there are comon sources for the similarities. Still, some parts of the movie might still originate from Ryzom ... we should ask Cameron for his Ryzom character name :)

yours Cotare

iceaxe68 January 7th, 2010 05:59 PM

I'm somewhat hesitant to enter this discussion, as it has gone down the rathole of polarized political dogma already. But what the heck, my thoughts are as worthwhile as any. :p

movie: (where this started out)
It was, as they say, a "popcorn flick". An action movie, a diversion, not something to be taken as a serious commentary on anything. As such, it succeeded brilliantly, in my opinion. Also, it's in the process of making a supertanker-load of cash, which was, after all, the root purpose. I've contributed my share, having seen it twice. (Different family members had different times/days available, so I went both times.) If the mish-mash of plot lines from previous movies and stories is so offensive to you that you can't enjoy the spectacle, by all means, skip it. It's not going to change your life either way.

climate change debate: (off topic)
I think the goo is encroaching, and something should be done about it. Have you seen those aggro Stingas in Darkmoor? They weren't always there. I rest my case.

chybisek January 8th, 2010 08:57 AM

For me, most striking resemblance to Ryzom was the night jungle on Pandora, very similar to Primal Roots.