Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Natural History of Atys: Predators and prey
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   General (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Natural History of Atys: Predators and prey (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=34742)

acridiel January 13th, 2010 04:54 PM

Re: Natural History of Atys: Predators and prey

Only thing I frequently "regret" is that Kitin donīt hunt other "predators".
But that is the downside of the "simple" mechanic of "hunter vs. hunted".

Iīd be much more "realistic" if the Kitin would devastate everything living in a swarming/invasion and not simply "concentrate" on waiting to be attacked by Homins out to get them. ;)

To me its always a bit weird to see herbies peacefully grazing and/or "other predators" going on with hunting as if nothing out of the ordinary had happend, right next to where weīre fighting for our lives in an invasion.

CU
Acridiel

lessingham January 15th, 2010 04:19 PM

Hi the homin you may know as Koallasu here.

Thanks so much, please keep sending in your observations about the natural history of Ryzom, not just predators and prey, but other habits of animals and so on. I've noticed animals migrating, I followed a group of yubos who had chosen a somewhat suicidal migration route so I followed them and killed all the predators in my path, but I could not taunt so I could not defend them all!

I was thinking that predators don't hunt 'social' herbivores, because I certainly don't usually. But apparently it's not that, I had forgotten animals have different speeds.

sidusar January 16th, 2010 09:29 AM

Well, another thing to note is that 'social' herbivores are only social when one of their kind is attacked by a homin. No herbivore will ever help another herbivore that's under attack by a predator. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by acridiel
Only thing I frequently "regret" is that Kitin donīt hunt other "predators".

I agree muchly. Also: bandits. And primates. They and kitin and predators all walk peacefully next to eachother. In fact, pretty much everything that is aggressive to players seems to be in league together. :p

A point of interest is that this all works very differently inside the Ring. There, predators do attack bandits. So do kitin. But kitin do not attack any animals, not herbivores either. Herbivores don't run either, so predators attack all of them regardless of speed.

gcaldani January 16th, 2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidusar
Well, another thing to note is that 'social' herbivores are only social when one of their kind is attacked by a homin. No herbivore will ever help another herbivore that's under attack by a predator. :(

Well, that's why they are too busy running away from the predator to turn back and fight to help a friend. It's probably the more realistic behaviour, in general apart the fact they seems having no fear for the homins as for the predators.

There are also some weird exception about socialty... try to hunt a torbak in Knoll of Dissent with a close mektoub and enjoy seeing the mektoub add to help the carnivore against you! (this happens in some area of KoD) :p

Similar behaviour i remember in some other areas but can't recall now where.

sidusar January 16th, 2010 11:33 AM

That depends... there are herbivores known on earth that'll ward off predators by taking a group defensive stance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcaldani
try to hunt a torbak in Knoll of Dissent with a close mektoub and enjoy seeing the mektoub add to help the carnivore against you!

Knoll of Dissent is knowns for it's weird random AoE effects, leading to things like herbies helping the carnivore that was trying to eat them against you and tribe guards fighting eachother. You can't trust anything to make sense there. :p

seawe January 17th, 2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Knoll of Dissent is knowns for it's weird random AoE effects, leading to things like herbies helping the carnivore that was trying to eat them against you and tribe guards fighting eachother. You can't trust anything to make sense there.
thats what makes Ryzom so enjoyable and deep! I wouldn't mind seeing the kitins of the depths attack everything in their paths but it seems they have something particular about hurting homins... :)