Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - Character name advice
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   Newcomer Welcome Board (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Character name advice (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=62)

lawrence September 16th, 2004 10:08 PM

Character name advice

Before creating a character in SoR, please review the official naming policies:

http://www.ryzom.com/support/policie...s#legal_naming

The process of finding a character name you like can sometimes be a painful procedure. Here's a few links to help you guys finding a suitable name for your character:

http://ebon.pyorre.net/ - The Everchanging Book of Names (a.k.a. EBoN), a Shareware name generator for Windows.

http://www.google.com - It often helps running a quick check on your chosen name via Google, as it could be the name of a large Company, the name of a known product, or have a different meaning you are not aware of.

Respectfully submitted,
Lawrence

geezas May 11th, 2005 11:00 PM

Re: Character name advice

Tip: use a online dictionairy and look up a concept you want associated with the character in lets say: Bambara (spoken in mali) and use that. Works for me :)

google a dictionairy for Pashai and see what hero or warrior means in that language, and yuo have your instant melee hero prince with a eastern touch ;)

(pashai is spoken in afganistan, iran and pakistan)

vutescu May 18th, 2005 05:30 PM

Fyros names are armenian names, Tryker looks irish/scotish to me, Zora - asian. No clue bout Matis.

And more about player names. My ingame name - Rjak - comes from an old legend where the main character were a necromancer (Rjak). But after I used it in a lot of online games (more than 6 yrs), i find out that the game "Lords of Magic" from Microprose had also a black mage called Rjak character, and is also a .... i dont know how is called in english (Ripper Jack / R Jack / Rjak). But those are things that I discovered after I started to really like this nickname and I'd rather not play a game that not allow me to wear it (I know is stoopid and childish but everyone have his own birdie :))
And even more. IF Jyudas would not RP so much, I'd be the 1-st one to ask his name changed. But he has choosen the name of the one who sold Christ for 30 silver coins and, in game, he acts like a real mercenar. A worthy follower of Juda / Jyuda. So as long he's IC, why should I spoil the game for him?
But are other examples. There is a player called "Death" and he's wearing constantly the "Avatar of Destruction" title. I can't say it looks bad, is rather impressive.... but this is NOT a name for a player. For a mob, maybe, but not for a player. Is like he constantly says: "Look at uber me, i knew that before i started the game" Is not spoiling the imersion, but is more than bragging if you ask me.
Anyway, i've meet "VillageIdiot", "Iabtvaiumati" ("screw your mother" - translation from russian), "FluffyPussy", "Iaman00b", "Helpme" and many others only in Fyros lands. I assume each part of Atys have its retards. So why bother anymore?

PS And sorry Hormonal, I know you in-game, but if you want my 2 dappers, is really not an appropriate name.

sehracii May 18th, 2005 05:33 PM

Matis names look rather Italian?

geezas May 18th, 2005 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sehracii
Matis names look rather Italian?

They do have a italian ring to them if you pronounce them as italian words :)

mbaucco May 24th, 2005 10:56 PM

I'm new to Ryzom but not to MMRPGs, and I have yet to see this debate resolved anywhere. For my part, a name is ok with me as long as it is not:

a) offensive

b) unoriginal. Soooooo sick of seeing Gimli's, Drizz'ts, Legolases, Vlads, etc.

c) hubristic. Nothing wrong with it really, but calling yourself GreatSlayer or DoomBringer? I hope you have the chops to back up the big name, especially if there is PvP :)

I don't see a problem with someone using a nickname, there is a grand old literary traditon for it (Athos, Aramis, Porthos were all nicknames, for instance). I personally think nicknames should be earned and not created, but that is just me.

Anyway, hard to pass up this topic, it is like slowing down to see a car crash.

-Matt

ps: I did not know the Zorai were supposed to be Chinese either, my name is more Middle Eastern. They seemed like Sufis to me. :P

ahlmea May 30th, 2005 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gturner6
I'm still downloading the game so forgive me if this is a silly question, but does the char gen screen have a random name generator to get an idea about each race's typical naming style? From the basic descriptions of each race I'm tending towards Matis.

Matis is the way to go ;)

I like this generator. Seems to generate alot of good names.

Anyways, welcome to Atys. Hope you enjoy your stay :)

douph September 26th, 2005 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlmea
I like this generator. Seems to generate alot of good names.

YES!
That is the one that I use. I took the time to learn how to use the 'advanced interface' and got some impressive results. Someone requested a list of potential names, and I happen to have a list of names I generated for Ryzom. Unfortunately, I later discovered that Ryzom does not allow names that contain apostrophes. You may find the first name in this list to be *somewhat* familiar.

Kale'uhar, Dough'idem, Yrak'atkal, Rmor'aldash
Sath'enskel, Vtai'abser, Rray'unndel, Rskel'urrest
Trold'aphir, Drtan'ulough, Vmos'ilten, Nust'yvril

I'm not crazy about Rray, but otherwise I like these. I think I selected 3 or so from every full page of actual generated names.

mtroisf November 16th, 2005 04:15 PM

Ok, I'm new and made up a cute little Tryker named Chii (variant of previous names I've used). Then I realised...hey, this may not really fit with the race's naming style! Anyway, I'll probably change it if I can find an Irish-y name I like since this seems to be the consensus of the style of names they have.

Oh, and why I'm typing, I hope the lonliness of the noob area is an exception because it's REALLY lonely. :( Hopefully I'll meet cool people soon. hehe

vguerin November 16th, 2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroisf
Ok, I'm new and made up a cute little Tryker named Chii (variant of previous names I've used). Then I realised...hey, this may not really fit with the race's naming style! Anyway, I'll probably change it if I can find an Irish-y name I like since this seems to be the consensus of the style of names they have.

Oh, and why I'm typing, I hope the lonliness of the noob area is an exception because it's REALLY lonely. :( Hopefully I'll meet cool people soon. hehe

Unless your name is offensive, it probably wont get changed... you might want to rename before you start adventuring (unless you want to use this one to learn/look) by creating a new avatar.

Noobland is sparse because everyone is in a hurry to get to the mainland and meet me :P

kaoskat June 22nd, 2006 09:20 PM

Speaking of random name generators, try http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-name.php

Some pretty good ones there.

katriell June 22nd, 2006 11:09 PM

I laugh when I see a little newbie running around with a big, bad title name...

rothimar October 18th, 2006 10:32 PM

An additional thought...

Players do have to agree to the terms of service to play the game, part of which is the naming policy. People should be aware going in, what the restrictions are. If people don't take the time to read the EULA/CoC/ToS, then as they say in the circles of local law enforcement, "Ignorance is no exception to the law".

I don't mean to sound harsh with this... I am trying to slack and work at the same time, and pressed for time, so being more direct than I would normally try to be. (do you have any idea how hard it is to work and not work simultaneously??)

grimjim October 18th, 2006 10:45 PM

Strange things are afoot in Mordor and rumours abound of a dark power rising in the east and dark riders exiting the gates in search of... something.

Meanwhile, in the shire SlapNutz002 Baggins is set to inherit the house and unusual legacy of his uncle, SlapNutz001. When SlapNutz001 vanishes from his own eleventy-first birthday party SlapNutz002 finds himself confronted by Pwnz0r the Grey.

Pwnz0r has ascertained the true power of the ring that SlapNutz001 had left to his nephew and knows that it must be taken somewhere safe and a council called to determine what must be done with it.

At the council it is determined that SlapNutz002 and his other hobbit companions, SlimShady, Qwerty and ILoveCake will travel with the ring along with Pwnz0r the Wizard, SirKillALot of Gondor, PoonHunter the Ranger, BeardyWeirdie the dwarf and LegOLamb the elf in order to try and see it destroyed in far off Mordor...

Just doesn't quite carry the same atmosphere does it?

rothimar October 18th, 2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimjim

hahahahahahahaha!!

That was probably one of the funniest things I've read in a while. :)

It does illustrate the point rather well too.

mindelyn October 18th, 2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Strange things are afoot in Mordor and rumours abound of a dark power rising in the east and dark riders exiting the gates in search of... something.

Meanwhile, in the shire SlapNutz002 Baggins is set to inherit the house and unusual legacy of his uncle, SlapNutz001. When SlapNutz001 vanishes from his own eleventy-first birthday party SlapNutz002 finds himself confronted by Pwnz0r the Grey.

Pwnz0r has ascertained the true power of the ring that SlapNutz001 had left to his nephew and knows that it must be taken somewhere safe and a council called to determine what must be done with it.

At the council it is determined that SlapNutz002 and his other hobbit companions, SlimShady, Qwerty and ILoveCake will travel with the ring along with Pwnz0r the Wizard, SirKillALot of Gondor, PoonHunter the Ranger, BeardyWeirdie the dwarf and LegOLamb the elf in order to try and see it destroyed in far off Mordor...

I love you Jyudas..that's the funniest thing I've read to date.

zanthar October 19th, 2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

While you are very correct in saying that that does not carry the atmosphere and I agree whole heartedly. It was funny as hell! :D Rofl Good imagination Jyudas!!!

mugendo October 20th, 2006 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindelyn
would your parents have really named you LittleBunnyFuFu?

Aaaaahh... My parents have not called me that sinc......erm....I meant my friend......yes..my erm friend who lives down the road...I have never been called such a stupid name :D

{Logging out in}

"Coming MummyBunnyFuFu, I have just logged out of the Ryzom forum*

{user Mugendo disconnected}..................................... ....

malabdul October 20th, 2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

lol ! :D

Exellent way to illustrate the point :)

skeith8 October 27th, 2006 07:04 PM

Hmmm....I am a heavy roleplayer as some people are also, but that doesn't mean I have a problem with people who like quirky names like "Ilikepie" and such. I can have just as much fun roleplaying with those individuals as I can with people who stick to more IC names. As for me, I'm very creative and original, and like the sound of my character's name to reflect who they are.

One of my most common names is Kyonis, which was given to me once by a dear friend of mine (who I am inviting to this RPG). It has stuck with me for about 2 years now, and I use it frequently. However, I'm going to do something a bit more fresh in this RPG, taking my character and naming her something special, jst for her. I have already decided that the Zorai path is right for me, because it interests me and is very different from characters that I have roleplayed before. My characters are usually dark, evil, and have no special connection to spiritual powers unless very unholy. I want my character to come off as pure-hearted, maybe a bit sad, maybe a bit shy, but giving...someone who truely wishes to benefit all people, but is proud of her heritage and ancestors. Therefore, I would chose a name suitable for her personality...maybe taking the race's fitting names into consideration. I like asian names anyways- though I'm not going to look up names....rather I make one up from my head and create it for that meaning.

That's just how I look at names and naming characters...Oh and if someone named "Ilikepie" wants to roleplay with me (lol)...bring it on!

opivy October 31st, 2006 08:23 PM

I recently created characters on both Cho and Ari, and I was very surprised, when I was allowed to create the name "Ender" on Cho. I must confess I gave the naming policy the most cursory of glances in my excitement to get started.

In retrospect, and upon actually reading the policy, it is obviously a name which contravenes the naming standards. I may not have ran into the jungle slaying Kitins screaming in /r about the damn "buggers", but I can appreciate how using a fairly well-known fantasy name might be distracting and inimmersive to other players. At the same time, I had many conversations with people who recognized the name and loved the books as much as I did. Actually had great discussions of the series with a few people.

On Arispotle, the server I ended up continuing the play on, my name is "Varelse". Fans of Mr. Card's will recognize this as well, although it's not a name, but a word borrowed from Swedish and made into a conceptual term in the "Enderverse". Although the name is borrowed from another fantasy universe, I don't consider it to be in violation of the naming policy and shouldn't be disrupting to the immersion of others. I'm curious to read other people's take on it. I like the name because it still gives a hint toward my personal interests and things I might be interested in chatting about ooc.

Any thoughts? I'd like to hear some opinions before I make my recommendation, which would be that if you want to pay homage or convey some of your interest, try and do it with a little subtlety by not using place and people names, but perhaps concepts or other less "namey" words.

Of course, now I get a lot of people wanting to know if I'm Swedish. :D

kekulus December 29th, 2006 07:53 PM

"Strange things are afoot in Mordor and rumours abound of a dark power rising in the east and dark riders exiting the gates in search of... something.

At the council it is determined that SlapNutz002 and his other hobbit companions, SlimShady, Qwerty and ILoveCake will travel with the ring along with Pwnz0r the Wizard, SirKillALot of Gondor, PoonHunter the Ranger, BeardyWeirdie the dwarf and LegOLamb the elf in order to try and see it destroyed in far off Mordor..."

HAA HAA HAA HAA ! ! !

Sir, you win the Kewpie doll for the day... i haven't been that tickled in a long time.

Incidentally, it seems like you might have some storytelling skill lurking in there somewhere - ever thought about story writing?

ark014 January 9th, 2007 05:50 PM

These are my Ryzom chars' names. I just gave them names of my own choosing:

Amphiaraus (Matis): from Greek mythology, a warrior-priest who was a hero of the war of the Seven Against Thebes.

Otho (Zorai): named after the first King of Greece in the modern era (19th century).

Amaila (Matis): named after the first Queen of Greece in the modern era (19th century).

Morbius (Fyros): named after Dr. Morbius from the classic 1956 SF film "Forbidden Planet".

Altaira (Tryker): named after the daughter of Dr. Morbius from the classic 1956 SF film "Forbidden Planet".

Thanks,
Amphiaraus

zarozina January 13th, 2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kekulus
"Strange things are afoot in Mordor and rumours abound of a dark power rising in the east and dark riders exiting the gates in search of... something.

At the council it is determined that SlapNutz002 and his other hobbit companions, SlimShady, Qwerty and ILoveCake will travel with the ring along with Pwnz0r the Wizard, SirKillALot of Gondor, PoonHunter the Ranger, BeardyWeirdie the dwarf and LegOLamb the elf in order to try and see it destroyed in far off Mordor..."

HAA HAA HAA HAA ! ! !

Sir, you win the Kewpie doll for the day... i haven't been that tickled in a long time.

Incidentally, it seems like you might have some storytelling skill lurking in there somewhere - ever thought about story writing?

I believe Jyudas (Grimjim) is, in fact, a writer in RL ;)

BTW, funny as hell Jyu, and sums up exactly how I feel.

oh, and one other thing ...

THERE ARE NO TIGERS ON ATYS!!! As far as I can tell, there are no lollipops either :S. please make names that are names for the sake of all that you hold dear, not just embarasing random strings of words. It makes me sad.

ark014 January 26th, 2007 07:04 PM

My favorite MMO char names ever -- a female char in SWG named "Spankya" and a male SWG char named "wOOt wOOt".

I agree l33t pwnzor MMO char names stink on ice, but sometimes seeing a witty and amusing MMO char name adds to my ingame experience.

Thanks,
Amphiaraus

japamala February 9th, 2007 08:46 PM

One thing I'm wondering about....

how do names from various mythology's fit in?

I know that all of the names of my characters come from Indian mythology, one of which is simply my own name, and the other two are the architects f the demons and demigods, respectively...