Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 43

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 82

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 86

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 98

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 102

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 172

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/init.php on line 371

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2291

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/forums/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1489
Ryzom - [FAQ] LinkSys Fixes (Another Solution for 10 Minute Disconnects)
Ryzom

Ryzom (http://forums.ryzom.com/index.php)
-   Technical Support (http://forums.ryzom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [FAQ] LinkSys Fixes (Another Solution for 10 Minute Disconnects) (http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=631)

Trinity September 29th, 2004 04:56 PM

Re: Another Solution for 10 Minute Disconnects

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfed
Well, I'm at work now and forgot to write down the model number of my Linksys router -- but I updatd to the latest firmware last night and after that played for about 2 hours with no further problems.

This is one of the things that I would pass along to everyone with the problem.

Update your firmware first! Then check into other things if the problem continues.

Good luck, folks.

eleo123 September 29th, 2004 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity
This is one of the things that I would pass along to everyone with the problem.

Update your firmware first! Then check into other things if the problem continues.

Good luck, folks.

is there a way to know what is the version of our router on our comp?
i know mine is a linksys but dunno what is the version...

ciara00 September 29th, 2004 05:24 PM

Okay - this is just getting odd. I can /still/ play just fine from my notebook, which is on a 802.11b connection. I can play for hours and hours without incident.

My desktop is on a wired connection - and for the past couple of days, I was able to play my first character slot just fine, and the others all disconnect after 5 minutes (everyone's saying 10 minute disconnects, but for me it's always been 5-6 minutes. O.o)

So today - I happily go to play my first char from my desktop a little before work, and... I'm getting disconnected every 5-10 (6... almost on the dot,) minutes again! Come up here to my notebook, and I can still run perfectly up here!

I'm totally at a loss of what it could be on my desktop. I've tried both a dynamic and static IP on the system (it's normally static,) just in case that matters for port triggering, to no effect. I've done everything short of DMZing the system (since I don't run a firewall on it - the crappy rudimentary Linksys firewalling has actually been enough for it.)

About the only thing I can think off of the top of my head is the fact that I have my desktop running through another router which is, in turn, bridged to the Linksys - which we had to do due to issues of where we had to place the Linksys in order to get decent radio coverage throughout the house. Nothing else has any issues with this (and we've been set up this way for a couple of years now, and multiple online games have never batted an eye at it,) but could this possibly be the issue? I'm really out of ideas here!

(I'd just go wireless on the desktop too - but since my desktop doubles as both a file server and VNC server for the whole house, I'm not giving up the extra bandwidth on it's connection!)

phoenyx September 30th, 2004 01:19 AM

The port triggering fix was only partly successful for me with my Linksys BEFW11S4. Likewise, putting one computer as the DMZ host would *still* result in the occasional disconnect (although much more rare). Trying to play with two computers on my LAN was *very* problematic. We'd put one on the DMZ and it would usually do okay, but the other one would 10-minute-disco pretty often. At most I'd get 60 minutes without a disco.

So I tried to update the firmware on the BEFW11S4. Guess what? The firmware file was NOT installable by any means.

So I threw in the towel, did research on other cheapo routers, and went out an bought a D-link DI-604. $50 at CompUSA.

And it FIXED THE PROBLEM ENTIRELY. I didn't have to set up port triggering. I didn't have to futz with DMZ. I didn't have to make any special settings of any kind. Ryzom was stable and disco-free for both computers for a playing session of 3+ hours.

This is the 2nd time that a Linksys product of mine has had particular trouble with online games (the other time was due to UDP issues too). A firmware flash fixed the other problem (about 2 years ago). Not being able to flash the firmware this time, however, told me it was time to wash my hands of Linksys products once and for all. The configuration options are way better on the D-Link as well.

lewis87 September 30th, 2004 04:12 AM

Umm... I don't know anything about routers, ports, IP addresses, or any of that stuff... All I know is that I have a Lynksys router and I am getting the same problem as the rest of you.

Updating firmware seems to be solving a lot of problems for people before they mess with there gates, ports, and what not... So can someone explain to me how I can update my firmware?

Thanks much.

tiven232 September 30th, 2004 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleo123
is there a way to know what is the version of our router on our comp?
i know mine is a linksys but dunno what is the version...

It's on a little tag on the bottom of the router near the front, it should say something like the type and the version of it, and that will match up with an option on the list on the Linksys website.

jdoggett October 2nd, 2004 11:19 PM

They need to fix whatever is doing this.

A. I am not replacing my router, it works fine for all my other software. (including several MMORPGs)

B. I am not upgrading the firmware in my router. (See A.)

C. I am not changing my router settings.

I have a better fix. If the software doesn't stop disconnecting me, I will take it back for a refund. I bought the game for fun, but if it turns into a pain my butt, it goes BACK!

Further, I will suggest strongly to others not to buy it, because it is a technically unsound product.

Update 10/03/2004 : I managed to stay connected for 25 minutes today. My experience leads me to think that this is not a problem on my end. If it were, I would see the disconnectat some regular periodicity. Last night it was almost exactly 10 minutes between disconnects, today it was 25.

Thats all the QA i'm doing. The software goes back to the store.

Jay

eleo123 October 3rd, 2004 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoggett
They need to fix whatever is doing this.

A. I am not replacing my router, it works fine for all my other software. (including several MMORPGs)

B. I am not upgrading the firmware in my router. (See A.)

C. I am not changing my router settings.

I have a better fix. If the software doesn't stop disconnecting me, I will take it back for a refund. I bought the game for fun, but if it turns into a pain my butt, it goes BACK!

Further, I will suggest strongly to others not to buy it, because it is a technically unsound product.

Update 10/03/2004 : I managed to stay connected for 25 minutes today. My experience leads me to think that this is not a problem on my end. If it were, I would see the disconnectat some regular periodicity. Last night it was almost exactly 10 minutes between disconnects, today it was 25.

Thats all the QA i'm doing. The software goes back to the store.

Jay

Same here!!!!
If they don't fix it, i ll have to really leave this game...(I, already, don't play anymore actually, just hoping that they will fix that, and i'll play again, because i really love this game...)

lyrah68 October 4th, 2004 12:38 AM

Thanks for the attempt to help, I don't have the issues on my system, and my hubby's system is fine (going through the wireless router) but my daughters antena won't stay plugged into the tower (having a pre teen and a preschooler on ANY system is VERY rough on it to say the least LOL).

We are going to have to find a 50 foot wire to jack hers into my router hard wired, I guess it is just a gal thing to HATE bright YELLOW coax cables running across the walk way, and tacking it to the wall isn't any better. Sigh* when I can afford to build my own house, this stuff is going to go IN the walls and have plugs right next to the power outlets. But that is a tad off subject.

Also, I can vouche for the fact that having a vid card that just BARELY meets specs is NOT a good idea (my daughters vid card is the second vid card we ever bought, a Geforce about three to five years old LOL).

I will report back if the firm ware is updated or not, I am not sure. But I DO know that whatever this issue is, it IS the router and is NOT the game, because it is affecting ALL of her online connections. When she gets the stalls and has to quit game, she can't even get her EMAIL.

dalacane October 5th, 2004 01:24 AM

also had a problem in xp. with the port triggering settings in there was working fine with service pack 1. but when i updated to service pack 2 the 10 min disconnects started again. so i uninstalled service pack 2 to go back to 1 and no longer getting the disconnects