View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #7
richaden

Re: Introduce Your Character!

ooc: On request, I repost this background story of Yamcha and Ailish

IC:

Yamcha was a typical little boy, he would charge about all day, saving the homins from the evil Kitin monsters with his trusty pike made of a long branch. Of course, it was just his imagination. His playground was the refugee colonies, and the troubled times of the Exodus were before he had even been born. He dreamed of the tales his parents told him of the Force of Fraternity, mighty warriors. He wanted to be a mighty warrior some day.

He often got scolded by the strange Karavan people, for straying too far from the refugee camps in his adventures, and sometimes caught a glimpse of a shadow moving in the distance, a -real- monster. But the Karavan people always kept them away. They were nice people.

Then one day everything changed, the Karavan people were taking homins from the refugee camp to a place called Matis Island. Yamcha's parents told him that he was one of the Homins who had to go there. He didn't understand, why weren't his parents coming with him?

There was another family which lived close to Yamcha's family in the refugee camps. They had a young daughter, a little younger than Yamcha was, about 8 while Yamcha was 10. Yamcha didn't like girls much, they didn't like to play war, they were silly things, icky things. But on that day that Yamcha's parents were explaining about going with the Karavan to Matis Island, the other family came over to their little home. The little girl was wide-eyed, she seemed like she didn't know what was going on either. Yamcha thought her parents looked sad for some reason...

The grown-ups talked for a while, and Yamcha sat on the floor with the little girl. She whispered to him "I'm Ailish...", and looked a little frightened. Yamcha put his hand on hers gently and said "I'm Yamcha, don't be scared."

Yamcha's parents and Ailish's parents stopped talking, and looked to the two children. Yamcha's dad's eyes were a bit red, he didn't know why. His voice sounded funny. He told Yamcha that he had to be a big boy, he had to be brave, and he had to look after Ailish on their trip.

Yamcha nodded. The two children got up, and walked with their parents to the Karavan teleporter. They waved goodbye to their parents, Yamcha took Ailish's hand, and the next thing they knew, they were under the bright sun, standing in front of a welcomer on Matis Island.

There were lots of people there, older kids in armour with REAL swords, and some with funny gloves that looked a bit like what the Karavan people wore, but not.

As the weeks passed, Yamcha and Ailish began training. They learned about the History of Atys from their teachers, and Ailish asked about magic... Yamcha didn't know much about Magic. The tutor asked Ailish to come with her, but Yamcha resisted, refusing to leave Ailish. When asked why by the puzzled tutor, he insisted, looking up at her with his brave childlike eyes "I am her protector..."

The tutors found it awkward at first, but as some of the older kids on Matis Island left with some of those Karavan people again, to some other place, some free tutors became available. The two children were taught together. Ailish was taught how to tap into the Sap, the magical lifeblood of Atys, to produce destructive spells. Yamcha was taught how to taunt an enemy, and how to parry attacks, to protect Ailish as her light caster clothing would not offer much protection against a gingo's claws.

The tutors were amazed at how the two worked together, and soon they were beyond needing the tutors. They tackled harder and harder enemies on Matis Island, always returning to their tutors for a few tips now and then.

Time travelled quickly on Matis island, and the two children became those 'older kids' they'd looked on in awe when they first arrived. As they grew older, their skills increased until they could match anything on Matis island, but as well as that, they grew closer.

One night, Yamcha dragged Ailish out to a hill on the edge of the island by Borea. She teased him, saying all the Gingos were sleeping for the night, and tickled him as usual.

Under the star-filled sky, Yamcha looked at Ailish and smiled sweetly. He just looked at her, not saying a word. Ailish looked back, and raised an eyebrow, poking Yamcha's chest softly

"What??" she asked, poking her tongue out.
"You know Ailish... I am blessed." he said, pausing a moment. Ailish pulled her tongue back in, and looked at Yamcha now, listening...

"I get to spend every day with the most beautiful girl on the isle, I know most of the other guys would do anything to be in my position..."

"Oh you're silly Yamcha..." she said, turning away a little, trying to hide a slight blush

"No, let me finish... I wanted to tell you this a long time ago, but I swore to protect you and could not risk that by pushing you away..." he said. He took her hands in his gently, and whispered "I love you Ailish... and I always will."

Ailish looked back at Yamcha, and sat up on her knees, flinging his arms around his neck where they sat, burying her face in his shoulder, hiding her joyfully tearful eyes. She said "and I love you too Yamcha... I love you more!"

She pulled from his shoulder, looking into his eyes with a beaming smile, and they kissed spontaneously, a wonderful kiss that seemed to last an age beneath those stars.

It seems a long time since that night. Yamcha and Ailish left Matis island long ago, and took to the mainland swiftly. Joining the Stormdancers Guild, led by Bael, a friend of them both from when they were on Matis island, the couple's adventures continue, taking on every new challenge that awaits them.

Most importantly though, beyond their high ranks in the Guild, beyond their prowess together on the battlefield, they share the thing most important to Homins, the thing that wars are waged so to allow its existence, the thing that the Kitin will never know.

That thing called Love.

I am Yamcha, Pikeman of the Matis, Leader of the Stormdancers, Defender and eternal lover of my dearest Ailish. Do not fight for vengeance or for blood, fight for freedom and for Love.
richaden is offline   Reply With Quote