View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #10
spaero

Re: Think I located source of lagging...

Ok, I have two main points to make.

1. I also concur with the connection issue, I have tried the very same approach by noting ping ("N" key in-game) while on my D-link router, then plugging directly to my cable company supplied Motorola Surfboard.
Gameplay, Normal:
300ave upload
300ave download
300ave Ping

Gameplay at Crash:
3000+

This is common no matter what connection configuration I have tried.

2. I Use 1GB of RAM, a Geforce FX5600 Ultra 128MB Video Card and use WHQL drivers, though I have rolled back, wiped, reloaded a few different driver sets going all the way back to the trusty 53.03 Det's.

In order to reduce the Crashes without a NeL report window (Sudden Gamecrash to desktop), I have resorted to playing in "Nintendo" mode as I call it. Turn off ALL vegetation, lower clipping to bare minimum to see maybe 10-20m and reduce all options to lowest-conservative settings.
NOTE: I am NOT an ATI user and I can play Farcry and other graphic intensive games at very high detail, 1280x1024x32bit@70hz fine.
I have signifigantly reduced sudden crashes by doing this, down to 5-10 crashes per night. I am not trying to put this game down, but throwing in my data with the intent that it will serve to help those struggling with lockups as well as provide feedback for SoR Techs reading these posts.

One other suggestion. I found that after zoning in and out of trainer rooms or entering towns that it is possible to outrun the "memory", in other words...you run into an area where the textures have not fully loaded into memory and it causes an immediate crash.

Simply stopping on the edge of town as you zone in or waiting that extra 10 seconds after zoning out stopped this form of crash.

Hope that helps....
spaero is offline   Reply With Quote