View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #3
marct

Re: Can someone provide a NWN comparison to the RR Toolset?

If you are familiar with computer programming the best likeness is to say that it is event driven. Events happen and you can trigger any number of other things in your scenario off of them.

It is not raw text scripting today although there has been some hinting that some really advanced things may be possible like that in the future.

The things you can accomplish in the event model they have built are really powerful.

The big items are:

Entities (NPC's and mobs)
Triggers (a zone trigger, and some others I can't remember)
Dialogs (text, although not quite a conversation system)
Sequences (The travel and roaming system or paths and areas)
Tasks (Request item, give item, and talk to entity tasks)

And the Big One that really puts it over the top is the Adventure Mastering(AMing) abilities. As the Adventure Master(AM), in Real time while people are playing your scenario you may talk as any one of the NPC's that are in your scenario, and you may take control of any entitiy that exist as well moving around the scenario. Although I have not seen a way to change an enties it's target or force it to attack someone in particular. The last big thing as an AM is the ability to flip triggers in the scenario manually.

You can't get in today to script behavior like changing the way a mob acts. Of course wouldn't that just break the likeness and believability that it is still Ryzom. Although you can turn the Aggro off and on for predators via a check box or triggering via Event.

Hope that helps. It really is next Generation in my mind. I am acutally glad you can't change terrain, it already takes me way to long to finish a scenario. (I'm a bit OCD)
marct is offline   Reply With Quote