View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #9
iphdrunk

Re: Ring - The Scoring System

My honest opinion, yet it may clash and I don't expect it to be shared.... but here it goes.

I am a bit wary of this. First, from a purely selfish perspective, it looks to me like an important effort in defining ranks, ratios, points, etc.... while several aspects of the game still needing completion. Anyway, ontopic: there are basically 2 different aspects: one rewarding players playing the scenario, and the other rewarding players creating the scenario.

First, the "rewarding players". As much as I would / do / enjoy roleplay (or could, depending on the mood) and I see the possibliities of different scenarios, in my opinion, the notion of ring rewards was supposed to account for the fact that during the time spent in the ring, the player could not be "productive" in the mainland. From a simplistic point of view, "the rewards account for the XP you are not gaining". If roleplaying is not "rewarded" in game -- one could spent hours chatting and socializing, trading, exploring, solving puzzles -- why should be rewarded in the ring? where is the "lost XP to account for"?. why is that, that the first thing that would come to mind is... "if we need to roleplay, why not RP in a ring scenario, so we get XP cats after, and not on the mainland" , etc. you get the picture.

"Well, RPs need to be rewarded for the time and effort it takes"... yes, true, BUT, if RP activities were to be rewarded (which I agree they should) then they should be rewarded throughout Ryzom, not only in scenarios. With the current system, no it does not seem appropriate to me. The ring reward system should aim at the gameplay aspects that are rewarding currently In Game. While other aspects should / need to be considered, they need to be considered globally, and not through this.

On the "rewarding scenario creators". One would naively ask wether the creation itself is or is not rewarding enough for authors. Is not the praise from players and thanks good enough? No, it seems not. It seems that to some extent Nevrax needs to throw bones to scenario creators to motivate them, to create, don't they? Scenario creators need their own way of recognition and ego-boosting (I am master scenario creator, ranked number 1 by 95% of players, my scenarios rock so much that players are begging me to create another). To me, this is yet another form of PvP -- as much as In-Forum PvP.

While I do expect all these "recent announcements" to prove me wrong, I still see how for the last one and half years everything 8ok, ok, almost everything, you nitpicking) has been ring-related, and although this was needed and relevant... maybe some ring features could be classed as secondary or non-priority ? what about doing as with Ops, PvP, etc. and leave a preliminary version and then focus on other things?. All this "scenario creator ranking" seems a simplistic way to try to trigger the competitive and ego boosting soul in content creators.
iphdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote