View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10
grimjim

Re: Ring - The Scoring System

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphdrunk
On the "rewarding scenario creators". One would naively ask wether the creation itself is or is not rewarding enough for authors. Is not the praise from players and thanks good enough? No, it seems not. It seems that to some extent Nevrax needs to throw bones to scenario creators to motivate them, to create, don't they? Scenario creators need their own way of recognition and ego-boosting (I am master scenario creator, ranked number 1 by 95% of players, my scenarios rock so much that players are begging me to create another). To me, this is yet another form of PvP -- as much as In-Forum PvP.

While I do expect all these "recent announcements" to prove me wrong, I still see how for the last one and half years everything 8ok, ok, almost everything, you nitpicking) has been ring-related, and although this was needed and relevant... maybe some ring features could be classed as secondary or non-priority ? what about doing as with Ops, PvP, etc. and leave a preliminary version and then focus on other things?. All this "scenario creator ranking" seems a simplistic way to try to trigger the competitive and ego boosting soul in content creators.

I agree. I don't find it any more helpful than LT's proposed PvP ranking scheme or the issues with the ranking system during the Temple War. On the other hand it is useful for players looking for good scenario creators to be able to see how a particular scenario or creator has been ranked.

Frankly I'd rather I had the ability, as a creator, to trade my scenario popularity/success for rewards I can place IN my scenarios to motivate people to play them. If my capability to produce good scenarios was rewarded with Crystals and other rewards I could place IN my RP scenarios that then provides the motivation and compensation for the players who want to do those things. One could even dish out a handful of crystals based on 'good roleplay' as is done in many TT games.

The risk, of course, is that guilds artificially inflate the rating of their pet designer's scenarios so they can hand out 'kewl stuff' but the current incarnation is just going to encourage crystal-farming scenarios anyway, something I thought we were trying to avoid. :/
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote