View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #4
raynes

Re: Forget Nevrax, lets come up with a good ratings system for scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushin
few thoughts:

I think having a select group of players/csr/whoever deciding the ratings is an extremely bad idea. can you imagine the calls of favoritism, bribing, flaming that would go on?

things need to be rated by the ppl who play them, all the ppl who play them, its the only fair way to do it imo

there are going to be scenario's that are fun but dont easily fit into a category that you can rate so i think its important to have a few, very generic categories, the fewer the better

entertainment (ie fun), ease of use (which would cover bugs, etc), overall. are more needed really? You'd hope the good ones would bubble to the top of any lists. there will be the usual childishness that you get with any ranking system (take a look at mmorpg.com for plenty of examples) ppl ranking their friends at max and ppl they dont like at min. you can apply flashy statistical analysis to remove this but it really only works with good sample sizes so might need to be done by hand for a while.

As i stated over on the website comments i think the system they have come up with is worse than useless so any attempts at improving it are welcome.

My thinking was that the scenario gets sent to the group who rates them so they can play them. I also thought of a small group of players simply because there is no real way to get everyone to rate a scenario. Furthermore I really beleive there are some players who wouldn't rate based on bribes, flaming, favortism or other childish garbage. I think there are a core group of players who want to simply see good scenarios and wouldn't just inflate something cause it's their friends or were offered daper in game.

My thinking in having catagores like storyline and puzzles was for searching ability. Lets say I wanted to find a scenario with some really good puzzles. With the three catagories of entertainment, ease of use, and overall, I can't do that. However if you have a puzzles catagory then people could search for scenarios that feature that type of game play. It works the other way too. Lets say I was just in the mood to kill things. Then wouldn't be easier to do a search on all the scenarios that have a great combat rating, and not care about storyline?

Pretty much what I am trying to come up with is an easy way for people to search for a scenario that has what they want in it, as well as get some sort of idea what it's all about and how it rates.

After all lets be honest here, if you were asked to rate a scenario Rushin, would you do so in a biased manor? Or would you judge it on it's own merits? I'm guessing the later.

And I'm glad you brought up mmorpg. The players scores are a perfect example of why you don't let everyone vote. Certain games have a habbit of having campaigns where they tell players to go boost the scores of a mmo just to get it to the top of the list. The same exact thing would happen with scenarios in this game. You would have guilds running campaigns to have their members scenarios bumped up to the top. The only scores one can trust on mmorpg are the editors scores, as they are for the most part free from bias. Having a set group of players to rate them would have the same effect.

There needs to be some form of controlled rating. If there isn't, then the ratings tend to mean nothing due to immaturity.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote