View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #25
nephy13

Re: Ring - The Scoring System

As far as Ring designers go, I don't see that there needs to be a reward beyond a rankings system, be that a mechanical one in-game or gossip-based one on the Web. There are plenty of maps out there for Quake or Neverwinter Nights to prove that there is plenty of kudos to be earned through such endeavours.

I am sure that rewards for developers will just encourage the development of poor quality content, be that hack-and-shash or not. What I fear most is the ring terminal being full of things thrown together half-heartedly by people who are primarily motivated by free stuff; I don't look forward to the amount of time I will waste playing complete tripe before I find a gem. Although a volunteer could be good or bad at the job, at least they are more likely to have self-motivation and pride in what they create.

A question: If I publish my scenario, so that anyone can host it, then who gets the points, hoster or author? If hoster, then it will mean people won't share scenarios, either for other people to learn from or to allow them to be more widely hosted. Frankly, I don't intend to leave my PC on all the time to run a scenario, but I would have no problem with other people hosting it if they thought it was good enough. Why not just host a popular scenario you find on the web, since you get all the rewards for none of the effort? Alternatively, if people keep hold of their sources to make sure they get their hard-earned rewards, then the only result will be a lack of skilled developers since there will be no good scenarios out there to learn from.

As far as rewarding players, I actually think that is unneccessary whether it be RP or not. However you allocate points, people are going to be able to grind their friends' Rings much more efficiently than they ever can on the "balanced" mainland. The reward for Ring players should be that it is going to have a lot more effort (developer hours creating it per player hour spent in it) put into it than the mainland ever could have. The mainland is so large and intended as such a time-sink that it would be impossible to individually script it all - Ring should ideally be the other way around. This is a lot less important than the developer/host getting paid, since I am already effective at ignoring powergamers and the like.
nephy13 is offline   Reply With Quote