View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #4
sidusar

Re: The Minefield of Ring Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepi
Get off the path, and you are on your own, and by the way, we don't tell you where the path is.
That's an excellent way to put it. Indeed if you do everything exactly right, then it generally works. But good luck figuring out what the 'exact right' way to do it is.

Quote:
- simple timers cannot be re-triggered after the first time
For example, I actually can get this to work... sometimes. And then sometimes it doesn't work. And I've no idea what decides whether it works or not.

Making it more 'solid' may be too much to ask, but I think it would help a lot if we could just get more insight into the components during testing. For example, if my repeating timer doesn't re-trigger after the first time, it's extremely hard to tell what's going wrong. Could be it's not being deactivated, could be it's not being reactivated, could be it doesn't resume counting, could be the time doesn't get reset, could be it just doesn't trigger, could be it does trigger but the resulting event doesn't work (and then there's also half a dozen ways why that event doesn't work).

I have to link some kind of separate visual cue to each and every one of those circumstances (and then hope those work correctly) to figure out what exactly is going wrong. It would be so much easier if selecting the timer in testing mode would just show me everything about it in realtime: whether it's active, whether it's counting, what time is currently on it, when does it trigger, etc etc.

Quote:
edit: just for fun, here is an early list of bugs found in the last few days:
- players cannot enter the Ring
- Ring scenarios dont show up on the Ring Terminal
- players get zoned to some random location, instead of the Ring
These bugs have been in since release. It's frustrating that they never get fixed, but it's worse to me that new bugs come up. Two examples of the top of my head:
- Can't change the weapon or spell type of NPC bandits anymore, this used to be possible.
- Can't change the names of plants and primitives anymore, again this used to be possible.
It's relatively minor things, but still not getting current bugs fixed is something we're sort of used to. Watching more and more functions break down over time is really discouraging.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote