View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #5
chibiarc

Re: The Minefield of Ring Development

I stopped working on advanced scenarios in the ring for one reason:

Almost all can be done, but I'm not going to spend hours to emulate missing features with other features like a stupid simple forward/backwards counter.

I spend more time making up for the missing components then being creative, worst of all are the random bugs for example conditions becoming "..." out of the blue, scenarios break themselves file wise or whole paths vanishing (+ everywhere they been assigned, sigh).

The Ring is a cool idea and does what it is supposed to do most of the times, but once you start to make something interesting it's sadly no fun anymore. It's the simple things that lack like status variables, counters (loops!), case selections (emulating them with dialogs and tons of conditons!) or more flexible components like item boxes or other interactive things.

And even for the basic scenarios nobody thought beyound 2 acts. With the funny scenery limit counting for ALL maps you can barely fill 2 with stuff. How are you supposed to tell a story starting in the lakes at 2 settings, turning into pr with 3 settings and finally ending in pyr? Heck alone to make a burning broken crate with smoke 3 (three) scenery tokens are used.

So when the time comes I have my feature and bug list ready, but I think the ring is the laaaaast thing on their list atm... sadly.
chibiarc is offline   Reply With Quote