View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #9
browserice

Cool Re: Playing an evil char: how well would that be received form the community ?

Quote:
If you intend to RP an evil personality - a truly evil, diabolical villain type thing, I think that'd be quite fun. The whole twisted and scarred backstory, slightly insane overlord style is an entertainment.

Quote:
Bah, Nysha pretty much beat me to saying what I was going to say. All the responses here have equated evil to being an A-hole, which is silly. You really have to define what you think evil is. A truly evil person is a person that is solely and poignantly selfish, with a severe loss of ethical boundaries and a twisted sense of desire.

However, the story in that type of character is the discovery, hunting down and bringing to justice of that person. But that doesn't really work so well in an MMO setting (with any MMO I know of so far) with a character you want to play.

So, what would work here? Likely a character that played on the goals of everyone else to elevate their own sense of power. So someone who incites battles between kami and kara, selling equipment and weapons to both sides. Someone who convinces a player that his enemy should be hunted down and killed and convinces them that it would be worth a heafty price, then undertakes that task on their own to meet the evil characters bloodlust and monetary gain, all to the blame of the first player. Someone who strategically spreads rumors to keep communities paranoid while increasing their own status in some way.

I think such a character would work wonderfully in the game that Ryzom proposes to be, a very RP centric one with ongoing storylines. It would work even better if there was an site that storied out the characters exploits and thoughts or something to that effect.

You two are the closest to what I feel like. To add to this, lets say someone who is border line in what people think of him:
-They trust him but have douths about him.
-He is their friend but at the same time they sort of fear of him a bit.
-He does not seam powerfull but people fear he is.
-He helps people but they get the feeling there is something behind it.
-He seams respectable but some bad rumours about him are slowly spreading.
-People are hesitating to hang around with him but he is helping everyone and the community.
-Someone who is projecting an image to the community but behind their back he is ploting evil plans all the times and trying not to be discovered

I think the idea of that kind of RP is getting a bit clearer and is close to what I would want to. But it would be hard to do (especially since there does not seam to be enough players around to help by unknowingly being victims).

My initial statement seamed like PVP but that is not what I want. I hate PVP (unless maybe, ..., hummm, there is somekind of twisted gain in the end toward the master eveil plan .... hummmm, interesting ....)
browserice is offline   Reply With Quote