View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #9
cybergh0st

Re: Merge the servers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katriell
Naming would not be a significant problem compared to the other issues that would come up. There are several ways that duplicated names could be dealt with.

Some of the real problems:
  • Each community has a different culture. Not just in French vs. German vs. American/British/etc terms, but in terms of having divergent histories, influences of prominent persons and organizations, political dynamics, etc. The Aniro players, for example, have always been the most hardcore in various ways. There would be many clashes of playstyles and expectations.
  • Speaking of divergent histories, a number of live events have had different outcomes on each server. Merging these would break the lore, shatter immersion, and throw RP off balance.
  • What about outpost ownership?
  • What about the player governments? For example, if the French, German, and Arispotlean Akenaks were merged into one, their meetings would suddenly involve at least two languages (considering that most Leanon players can understand and write English). It is probable that additional members of the event team would have to be present, which would complicate logistics. Furthermore, communication and collaboration within and between governments would become very difficult and awkward, discouraging the creation of events like the gift of flowers from the Matis to the Zoraļ.

Besides, Aniro and Leanon have always had larger populations than Arispotle. While we might feel as if "Ryzom's" population has dwindled to an uncomfortably low level, Aniro would probably disagree and Leanon must be somewhere in the middle.

So my vote is not listed on the poll: simply "No."

If you want a bigger population, get busy recruiting and advertising.

I don't see the problem with different cultures really, I always found it great to play on the US servers, for both SWG and DAoC, I am from Belgium myself.

Not sure what to do about outpost ownership, I imagine a reset is not a good idea?

So only Arispotle has the problem of too small population? There goes my luck again
cybergh0st is offline   Reply With Quote