Go Back   Ryzom > Marketing > Brainstorming
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM   #1
lewjoo

Steam?

Both Eve and Age of Conan are on steam. I am unsure what it takes to get a game on steam so may not be an option. If a 2 week/ month free trial was on steam i guarantee a lot of people would try it out.
lewjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM   #2
browserice

Thumbs up Re: Steam?

I think this is something that should be seriously considered by the Dev team.

It helps to releave stress about update management from both the dev team and the users.

It increase visibility of the game because Steam is already implemented and used by America and Europe. It is a good idea of maketing but would recommand still use the traditional way of marketing (advertisment).

I have been using Steam ever since it was born and distributing Ryzom through it goes along what the Steam dev made it to be.

Minimal effort to make game visible to a hudge sample of potential users = better chances of increasing pool of new players.
browserice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #3
boroshi
Community Manager

Re: Steam?

Since this isn't something that can be accomplished by the community, I've moved it to the Brainstorming Forum - thanks for your input though and we do read all of the threads posted here
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #4
browserice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroshi
Since this isn't something that can be accomplished by the community, I've moved it to the Brainstorming Forum - thanks for your input though and we do read all of the threads posted here

Thank you. Much appreciated you mentioned this. We feel less alone ;-)

To me, marketing = finding a way to increase visibility and attract more players

Therefore, steam = giving more visibility to game companies would go along that objective. I will check up on them to see what they think and what is required for this...
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #5
browserice

I have officially started making contact with the Steam company. I have sent them an email and awaiting informations.

So far, the advantages of using Steam (as stated by them) are:
-No licensing fees
-no charge for bandwidth
-auto-updating
-Real-time sales data
-encrypted retail media
-territory control
-access to hardware survey
-bug reporting
-installer

Here is a copy of my email sent to them:
Hi, I am currently following up on a brainstorming discussion (see link below) about using Steam as a distribution platform for the game "The Saga of Ryzom", currently owned by Spiderweb Inc, in Europe. This company allowed us players to brainstorm on any marketing suggestions we have and to eventually turn them into projects (see link below). The idea behind this brainstorming is to increase visibility of their game and increase the amount of new players. In backing up this idea, I have volunteered to contact you to inquiry about your services to help distribute this game and help this company to achieve their objectives.

As a follow up, I will need to pass on informations to this idea on their forum. So if some of the informations you will be giving to me are not to be made public, please mention it and I will do so.

To start our debate on this, how do we proceed ?

Official site of the game "The Saga of Ryzom":
http://www.ryzom.com

Ryzom seen as game #8 (above World of Warcraft) in the hyped game list of www.mmorpg.com:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/s...pe/sOrder/desc

Forum thread inviting the players to start marketing ideas and turning them into marketing projets:
http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=32874

Forum thread where we are brainstorming about usages of Steam for the Ryzom game:
http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=32887

P.S. : I am not affiliated in any way to the company owning the game "The Saga of Ryzom", currently Spiderweb Inc in Europe. I am only acting on my behalf to take charge of this marketing idea, to turn it into an official marketing project and ultimately, make it a reality.
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #6
browserice

No replies so far. But I am sure they receive plenty of emails every week.
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #7
azzurri15

Steam would be a very good idea; lots of people use steam,which would generate a good amount of people to give Ryzom a shot.
azzurri15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #8
browserice

Did not receive a reply. Sent a status update inquiry on Oct-22.

Beginning to wonder if it is because they are not taking me seriously enough or they are overflowed with requests !!!!
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #9
5c0rp

it is unlikly that you will get a reply because you are not an employee of Spiderweb, you dont have a spiderweb or ryzom email address so you have no credability with them.
5c0rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #10
browserice

Re: Steam? ==> Final status !

I have a final status about this. The Ryzom Dev and/or Spiderweb had a discussion with Steam. The final status about this is : No Go !

The reasons:

- The dev team does not have the time to modify the Ryzom client software to run under Steam. They have a higher priority right now.

- Using Steam means giving Steam a percentage of the profit of using Ryzom. This is an absolute No Go on that point.

Ryzom will not be running under Steam !