Go Back   Ryzom > Marketing > Brainstorming
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 1st, 2008, 08:40 PM   #1
acridiel

The RP³ (Ryzom Pen&Paper Project)

Hi folks.
Some of you might allready know know the idea, but I´ll present it here again.

Well, as Ryzom died a second time a while back, I remembered an idea that I had been roving around my head once I had first laid eyes on the game.
But our old friend GrimJim had beaten me to the cake back then, so to speak and had already proposed the idea of a Ryzom Pen and Paper RPG.

Well, he could not go on with his idea. So I picked up the torch when it was droped by GF and began a whole new project, named in reminiscence of the Ryzom Ring (R²)

The Ryzom Pen&Paper Project (RP³)

As you may remember I had already asked if you´d buy such a book, or books if they were ever produced. The response, from those actually interested in RP and not just scoffed at the very idea was quite positive.

So here I´ll propose it again.

With the help of a New-Zealand based friend of mine at Red-Brick ltd. we could produce Books on demand for a good price. If the new owners were willing to grant the print license to the company, like FASA did with Earthdawn and Holistic Design did with Fading Suns. Two classic RPGs set in worlds not entirely different in mood from Ryzom I might add.

Kathy Schad, one of their main Artists is a long time friend of mine too and I´m sure she could be coaxed into producing some of her marvelous art for us So is Alex Wichert, Fading Suns creative Director, who´s a great writer too and I´m sure he could help us with writing.

Above you´ll find a Link to the project Wiki I´ve set up over the last year, since Ryzoms closure.
Due to RL business and the overall hobby nature of the project not extremely much as been done up until now, but I think we´ve managed quite some nice stuff there.

Important and for the record!

A Pen&Paper Game differs greatly from an Online Game and the world described in it is nothing close to "canonical" and varies to some degree from what can be perceived on screen. That is of course to provide an even greater spark to the imagination of players and GMs alike who´ll one day maybe set foot onto Atys bark from their living room, surrounded by friends and not just virtually via their PC

A RPG Game would of course bring money and reputation.
Money from book sales, and reputation from a well written content.

Players might even be tempted to try the online experience once they´ve got to know the world. Ideas from this "offline" version of Atys might even inspire graphic artists or devs to come up with new content, who knows.

So, if you´re interested to help us further this project apply here and we´ll see what we can do to get Players onto Atys.

At the moment I desperately need someone to write about the Zoraï.
The other races are covered quite fine, except due to RL reasons the Tryker.

PLEASE: Do apply here first before trying to edit the Wiki. I´d kept in under wraps for so long for a reason.

CU
Acridiel

Last edited by acridiel : October 8th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
acridiel

Re: The RP³ (Ryzom Pen&Paper Project)

To add a fact that I forgot in my first post.
The sale and/or lease of the publishing license alone could very well bring some good money into the Owners Pocket.
BoD sales are just a cherry on the cake

The product would have to be in english and maybe french, a german version in my experience is not feasible at the start and can be delayed if demand should come up.
This is because with English we´d reach a far wider audience and French would be a tribute to the original Game of course

The indipendant RP-Scene in Germany is a rather small part of a rather small scene anyway, most players focus on the giants of the industry, like D&D and WoD. While the World of Darkness started out as a small endeavor too and became one of the greatest successes in Gaming history, it doesn´t mean Ryzom would too.

But in my opinion many players of Earthdawn and Fading Suns would give it a try because of the similar feel the games produce. And thus word would spread and quite some good sales could be produced.

Of course it is a lot of work and the team would have to deal closely with the story/background developers of the original Version so that they´d probably have to agree to an NDA, but that should not keep you from granting your creativity to this project

RPers unite!

CU
Acridiel
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #3
acridiel

So I´ll directly ask now:

Is nobody interested in turning this beautiful world into a Pen&Paper Game?
And if so, why not?

Why not experience the uniqueness of Atys together with friends who are not Online Gamers too?
Why not bring the Game to the attention of a different crowd of gamers and get them maybe interested in trying the online version too?
Why not generate money this way, from which both games will profit?

I know there are plenty of RPers out there, where are you all?
Has Ryzom become a "true" MMO and lost its RPG part?

For Roleplaying Game does in fact mean more than just playing a game set in a fantasy world. Even if sadly most single player Games that run under the name today are just this. An MMORPG is still a way to express the hobby of "roleplaying" and not just pushing buttons or hitting keys at the right time.

Roleplaying Gamers know there is more to share with others than that.
We know that it is fun to sit with friends and let our imaginations run wild in a world where only our ability to use it is the ultimate boundary. We don´t need to see our Characters on a screen, we see them in our imagination and our hearts. And the world will always as beautiful as described by a skilled GM and not "just" fancy pixels.

I love Ryzom and I love RPing, so I don´t see a reason why not to combine both loves into one seamless whole.

Will you help?

CU
Acridiel
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Nendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by acridiel
Will you help?
I'd love to.
But honestly, I don't think that I'm really qualified to do so.
Maybe we find some time to talk or chat about this if you're really desperate enough.
Geschichtsarchiv
Nendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #5
suibom2

I'm interested, dunno how much help I can be/time I'll have available, but I'll check out the site and review things.

Peace,
- Sui
suibom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Yumeroh
Administrator

The idea is interesting, but we do not believe it could attract as many people as that. I do not think we should lost time on it.
Yumeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #7
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumeroh
The idea is interesting, but we do not believe it could attract as many people as that. I do not think we should lost time on it.

Uhm, many, many thanks for your "support" Yumeroh... -.-

I still think it would be worth a try.

CU
Acridiel