Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #7
kaetemi

Location: Lembeek, Belgium E-mail: [email protected] NeL Developer
Re: Current status - down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzuben
After I launched my scenario “Who Let the Dogs Out”, within minutes a player from another server joined. He was able to speak English and told me he is stuck, cannot move, cannot exit, cannot click on anything. That would be one of your severe bugs that I reported, recreated once again with no effort at all.
Iirc, when a player serverports to ring, the location of the player is sent only after he got on the ring server and loaded into the session, resulting in the double-load effect. So, a player is accepted on the ring server in his current position, the ring server accepts that, it sends the current player position to the player, and only after that the player is loaded into the ring session, and teleported to the right spawn location. Haven't looked at the ring recently, but I believe that's how it used to work at some point, anyways. I'm just guessing here, but since I never had this issue, this seems like a possible cause. Given the nature of UDP connections, it's quite possible that some package got switched up or got lost, resulting in the teleport to session location message arriving before a possible resend or something of a lost original player location message, which could very likely result in a player getting seemingly stuck on the location he originally was, but on the ring server. Though, that a player cannot move seems pretty weird to me, since moving is always possible, except under a few specific conditions (such as overweight), and is done clientside (mostly). It would be a serverside bug if there was a jump-back-to-position effect, though, but I've never had this issue myself, so I'm just guessing here.
kaetemi is online now   Reply With Quote