Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Customer Support > Technical Support
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #5
grelka

US Robotics Wired Router Fix

I just got a new US Robotics USR8004 wired router and easily integrated my two home computers into it and got online seamlessly. However, when I tried to play Ryzom, one of two things happened:

1. The game would not fully load (would get to the dreaded last graphic that never fills in on the progress bar)

2. Logs in but goes into permanent lag within a few minutes

I wrote to US Robotics and although they responded, their suggestion did not work. I then tried opening the recommended TCP and UDP ports for Ryzom and rebooted the router and that didn't work.

I then did a thorough study of all of the settings on the router and noticed it had an "extra" firewall layer in the "Miscellaneous Items" of the config page. It also said if this extra layer of firewall were disabled, it would still have a basic NAT firewall.

So, I turned off the extra firewall layer and rebooted the router and got on Ryzom. Voila! No problems over the next two hours. When I got done with Ryzom, I chose to turn the extra firewall layer back on for web browsing.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else runs into this problem because the fix is surprisingly easy.