Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #1
rme2001

Limit of 100 objects, any workarounds ?

Today, when i continued work on my scenario, i ran into a rather big problem:

I'm creating a scenario that takes place on a middle sized map and contains a village, farm, outpost and watchtower.

The Farm, outpost and watchtower where allready completely built, but when i started work on the farm today i ran into a rather big limitation. I couldn't place more scenery objects, cause i'm limited to 100.

Cause i haven't been on mainland for too long, i thought it was because that i did not have enough Ring points, but after searching the manual, i found that the 100 items is a build in limit per act.

So i say, ok, fair enough, i'll create a new act. I permanented the chars i wanna keep (you can't permanent scenery object) and created a new act in the same location. I was happy to see that it copied my scenery to the 2nd act, so i happily started deleting all the scenery of the village and outpost. Only to find out during my first test, that it deleted the scenery in BOTH acts. Thank god i saved a backup of my old work.

My problem :

100 objects are not even near enough to create some decent content for a map. My village, outpost, watchtower aren't overflooded with objects, just regular scenery you'd expect there (plants/boxes/streetlights/tents/ect)

If creating a new act doesn't clear my object limit, there is basically no way i can continue my work.

Anybody found (or can think of) a workaround for this problem ?
rme2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM   #2
kibsword

Re: Limit of 100 objects, any workarounds ?

The only workaround I could think of would be a different scenario for each act. Sorry.
kibsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #3
grimjim

It does seem _odd_ that you have a reset creature limit each act but an overall scenario limit on objects. I'm sure there's some arcane technical reason for it, but it makes absolutely no inherent sense to me. If you can unload and reload creature info for each act, why not items too? That's made me halve the complexity of my current scenario.

You CAN budget yourself and use a lot less than you think you need by using things strategically and working around the existing terrain features.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:15 PM   #4
raynes

Wait you can't have 100 new animals and items per scenario (not act)? I guess you have to use the same map for the next act too?

So many limitations on this product....
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:29 PM   #5
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynes
Wait you can't have 100 new animals and items per scenario (not act)? I guess you have to use the same map for the next act too?

So many limitations on this product....

Animals you have the full allowance per act.
Items you have allowance for the whole scenario.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM   #6
schlo01

Hm, maybe you should have a look at how these things are done on mainland.

I tried to recreate the Leviers tribe camp to practice a little bit and this tribe camp consists only of
* 40 objects (including nearby trees)
* 16 NPC
* 3 creatures (I used renamed caprynis to act as mounts)
* 2 areas for patrolling guards

If you look around a little bit you see most points of interest on mainland are done using about 40 objects.

I a scenario, after making a basecamp for quest givers, you have 60 objects left for scenery and mission targets. That should be enough for most scenarios.

Don't get me wrong, more objects would be better. Especially for those who want to make a special place (for wedding, guild meetings).

Carfesch

"Das Leben ist eine endlose Aneinanderreihung von demütigenden Niederlagen, bis man sich nur noch wünscht Flanders wäre tot"
Homer J. Simpson
Amerikanischer Philosoph ca. 2000 n. Chr.

schlo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM   #7
sidusar

I can't find a way to get around it either. I initially thought you could do what you describe by making the village, the farm and the outpost all in their own act, each act on a different map. But if you change to a different map for your second act, you're still limited to 100 objects for both maps together. And 100 objects is barely enough to fill one map

You can have 100 new animals (entities) per act, but you're limited to 100 objects for all acts together.

I think the only solution is to be very sparse with placing your objects. Only place a few trees to make up a forest or a few huts to make up a camp, and leave out most of the bushes, grass, flowers, insects, barrels, crates, campfires and other small clutter. It can make for very empty maps though, as if they weren't completed.

Letting us do with objects what we can do with entities is on the top of my wishlist.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote