Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
grimjim

Why I chose Neutral

The thread that was supposed to be for everyone helping others understand why they chose what they chose has wandered and the Kami and Karavan peeps failed to post in the right thread, instead making their own, so I think this is needed. I've just C&Ped my answer, other 'neuts' can do the same. Probably a good idea for people who are factioned only for the TPs to speak up here too.
----
Hopefully Marjo will still be paying attention if it continues calmly :P A thread lock was the only indication anyone was paying attention.

So I d like you Neutrals to explain to me why you decided to stay Neutral ;

What does it add to your RP stance?

This really combines with your third question so the answers will, in some respects, look similar.

What it adds, or should add, is freedom. A cardinal point of Ryzom's appeal on every level. At least if you believe the blurb

It better reflects the Fyros (and Tryker) spirit than the more extremist view of joining a faction, and thus fits me better. It fits the (lore informed) background and in game history and experience of my character.

That's the short version, but as I say, it combines with your third question.

It's the best stance for a mercenary, even a principled one.

How come you feel like you can only go this way?

The Kami faction isn't played as extremists as much as the Karavan faction but the Kami themselves are somewhat sinister, completely hypocritical and have also completely failed to do anything to stand up for their people. (If they REALLY didn't want those Kara drills on their land you'd think they'd let off a few 6k explosions at OP battles or prevent the OPs being built).

The Karavan faction, as played in game ARE expansionist extremists which is counter to everything my character believes in and I have to interpret and react to the actions of that group IC as well as OOC. In both cases I disapprove though for different reasons.

The Karavan themselves are also no better than the Kami, perhaps even slightly worse. Hidden, unnatural, polluting, sinister and from events and lore they are very much the 'bad guys' from my IC point of view.

Had the lore have any impact on your decision?

Definately.
The lore has been somewhat 'fiddled with' since launch so you can't see everything that once was there, or the meaning of some of it has been subtly altered in places, but the progression of a character in game is organic anyway.

The main points from that lore that informed Jyudas' neutraility have been.

1. The state of the world - we're supposed to be rebuilding.
2. The GOOD lore relations between all the homin leaders.
3. The alliance between Kami, Karavan and Tryton required to see off and survive the Swarming.
4. That the Kitin are the greater enemy.
5. The relatively neutral stance of the Fyros (and Tryker - and their historical alliance).

Combine that with events, ESPECIALLY the Temple War and Jyudas' neutrality is now a pretty permanent fixture, barring some amazing revelation.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #2
soulsnatcher

Re: Why I chose Neutral

As the "Why I Choose..." threads could prove useful lto newer players I'm going to Sticky them. Try and keep the comments and posts in these constructive and at the least non abusive. Go on, I know you can do it.
soulsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #3
aardnebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyaku
So I d like you Neutrals to explain to me why you decided to stay Neutral ;
- What does it add to your RP stance ?

Zahan initially was a bit of a playboy and a joker, the other Zorai (representing the staid, respectable kami religion) didnt really take that too kindly.

He came to the mainland just in time for the Almati woods section of Episode 2. After seeing the behaviour of certain homins on both sides he decided that extreme faith in any religion obviously makes you a psychotic with no sense of honour. (Please note, this may not be true, but it's certainly how it _looks_ to a newbie playing the game for less than a week with under 300hp getting nuked for 3k damage).

Later interactions with homins on both sides have mellowed that view somewhat, but he still considers any extremist a potential timebomb. On the contrary, Samsara only kill after carefully considering a potential contract for its impact on their personal ethics, or in self defence. Better a logical choice than a raging ball of fanatacism. And if you can make a profit out of it, all the better...

Quote:
- How come you feel like you can only go this way ?

Frankly the Kami and the Karavan have their own agenda. Zahan does not understand it and he doubts any homin does. Chosing someone to support you do not fully understand is gonna get you in trouble sooner or later...

Neither side are interested in the homins that support them, when was the last time you saw Kami OR Karavan guardians defending their followers? They let you bleed and die, only to restore you again as puppets in an endless game of chess.

Mercenaries chose when and where to fight, and ask the important question... "Whats it worth?"

Quote:
- Had the lore have any impact on your decision ?

Yes, I have studied the background of the game intensively. Also, I regard OUR actions as players, the behaviour of guilds and individuals as PART of the living Lore of Atys.

So if I ask what guild you are when you try to hire me, it means I dont know _you_ as an individual well enough to make a decision, so I am gonna see what kinda people you hang out with by choice...
aardnebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
sx4rlet

ok, why is Sxarlet neutral?

Sxarlet came to mainland and followed the karavan, as she was impressed by their technology. Rebuilding Atys again, and keeping the Kitin as far away as possible was (and is) more important to her then higher powers.

Then she heard Jena was coming, and all guilds were told to fight for the higher power they believed in. At that meeting, Sxarlet complimented Wyler for his wisdom in leading the lakelands, but criticized him for following Jena and the Karavan blindly.
Then the temple wars started. The so-called higher powers told the homins to kill other homins. Homins that helped Sxarlet to kick the Kitin out of the lakelands, that helped other homins across other lands.
Sxarlet tried to fight for the Karavan, but after a short time, she didnt believe it anymore. The higher powers were like two small kids who were fighting for their newest favourite toy. It was about power and greed.
And those were homin emotions, not something for higher powers.

From then on, Sxarlet believed might be powerful, but they werent gods, and therefore, homins should learn what they can from those powers, but had to act upon themselves to decide the way for the homins.
Sxarlet thinks that last part is a heavy burden, as she doesnt believe in a god anymore that decided for her what is good, and what isnt. She has to do it herself, for herself, but also for her guild and other friends.

-------------

So, to answer Moyaku. The RP and the lore of the game 'made' Sxarlet neutral.
For me as player, the (weak) tryton faction is the most interresting part of the lore. If you read the lore, the different races and factions say different things about the races and the other factions.

Last, being neutral gives Sxarlet the freedom to make up her own choices. Sxarlet is a tryker before anything else. That means Freedom, Equality and Sharing, and she lives up to that as good as she can.

EDIT: (so last was not last ) at this moment, neutrality is the hardest way I think (just an opinion). As player I never really went for the easiest way. For me an MMORPG is the travel of the character, it's not reaching highest level asap. Taking the road less traveled gives it a bit more special feeling.
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #5
kostika

I'm not, I'm a Kamist. Something that people keep missing out is that not all Neutrals are the same. Kostika is a Kamist to the very depths of her soul. She won't lead her guild into something that they don't want though. She is neutral to the factions because her guild harbors so many opinions. (Believe it or not, Jyudas isn't the only one with an opinion)

So she walks the line to keep her guild safe and thriving. She does what's best for them. So she walks the line and is a neutral kamist.

(Kamist as in follower of Ma-Duk. Not worshiper of the cute furry things)
kostika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #6
frakel

Smile Re: Why I chose Neutral

I can only second Kostika by saying that even though the allegiance of my character Mercellus is neutral, he is a faithfull Jenite.

He is not a Karavaneer though, but he bows to them in respect - they are the emmisaries of Jena afterall. Also being a free-spirited and good natured Tryker he accepts the picture of a loving Jena much easier than joining any legion dedicated to fighting fellow homins.

So why did I choose him to be neutral faction wise?

The reason is part OOC gamemechanics and part IC. I joined Ryzom along with a lot of great RPers from SEED that I wanted to continue playing with. That is, I wanted to be in the same guild as them. I read somewhere that apparently there is some kind of problems creating or being in guilds of a different allegiance than youself. And since there are a some quite dedicated Kamists in the guild it would be impossible for us to play together as a guild if we all choose a faction based on our IC beliefs.

Also gaining a lot of IC friends of Kami faith makes it a little tough for Mercellus to take the final step to become a full fledged Karavaneer. He still thinks the Kamist is walking the wrong path though...

Last edited by frakel : January 11th, 2007 at 12:46 AM.
frakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #7
mugendo

Conflict gives a significant boost to any economy, this is a simple truth whether it is accepted, debated or denied.

Warriors need armour and weapons, which comes from the crafters, these need resources which come from the diggers, the diggers require access to contested areas, which is gained through the warriors who open this access.
It's a self sustaining cycle that benefits everyone.

But this cycle needs a catalyst to instigate it, This is where Politics/religion and Greed are required. This requires an outside influence as it is very difficult to start a war within a coherent group with it's own identity. A fact the Dieties of Atys know well when they call followers to their cause.

Of course the Kami and Karavan followers are still the same people, which results in unlikely alliences and truces, cross trading, and general interaction between them. This allows the mercenaries to ply their trade without restriction of moral dilemna, Crafters can sell their wares without betraying perceived loyalty.
As I observe this behaviour I am reminded that there is No right and wrong......only point of view.
As my little Zorai is caught in this cycle he searches for a solution, Not for all of Hominkind...but for himself.
As A follower of a diety he will diminish his own self worth, As a Neutral he would be turning his back on the reality of life on Atys. So he is trapped in a situation he understands, but cannot control.
So, he lives by his own beliefs. Helping those he deems is worthy of his assistance, weakening those who would harm him or his standards.
Once the Faction war is ended there will be no peace, that is the future My Homin prepares for.
He does not need the Dieties.....but he knows they need him.
I am Neutral in definition, not actions.
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote