Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
accelerator

Sci-Fi?

I'm finding it hard to get into the game due to some elements of the graphical style and the potential sandbox to explore is the only thing keeping me going.

Are there guns and 'soldier of the future' armors as depicted in the login screen as so far my experiences in game and Youtube videos indicate its slanted more towards fantasy in an alien setting with nil classic futuristic sci-fi.
accelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #2
sidusar

Re: Sci-Fi?

Those 'soldier of the future' things you saw in the login screen would be the Karavan. They're definitely classic futuristic sci-fi, but the thing is we don't get to play them...

The game isn't usually considered fantasy because it doesn't play in the traditional sword&sorcery style. The larger background story is more sci-fi style. But the characters we get to play do indeed live in a historical/magical society more than a futuristic one. Just on an alien world instead of an earthly one.

We get guns instead of bows, next to the Karavan NPCs that's about the only hint to sci-fi.

Personally I still find it one of the best blends of fantasy and sci-fi I've come across yet. Most games tend to either turn all their sci-fi elements into magic (like WoW did with the Draenei spaceship) or turn all their magic elements into sci-fi (like Tabula Rasa did with the Logos). Ryzom doesn't let either style become dominant over the other.

But if you're looking for a definite sci-fi setting, Ryzom definitely isn't your cup-of-tea.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
accelerator

Thanks mate, you summed it up for me perfectly.

I'll stick with it despite that though, the skill system is intriguing enough. Just need to lay to rest that ache for pew-pew.
accelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #4
sidusar

Great, I'll hope it manages to grow on you.

And, autolaunchers make a nice pew-pew.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM   #5
sether

I'm in love with the style of the game. I was SOOO tired of seeing always the same in a mmorpg: swords and magic in a medieval world, or such. Thanks god finally someone made something unique and original.

Thanks ryzom.
sether is offline   Reply With Quote