Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Saga > Your life on the living planet
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 15th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #1
fenerismoon

The Atysian Science Forum

Hey All! I invite those wonders and those thinkers to share, debate, and disprove the answers to the mysteries of Atys. If you make a theory... please state facts and observations that support the theory. If you want to disprove the theory, do likewise.

Example...

Obervation: Each type of homin has the same basic body pattern and bodily proportions.
~Conclusion: All homins share a common ancestor

Observation: Diffrent types of homins can mate and bear fertile offspring.
~Conclusion: All homins are of the same species

Observation: All homins display distinct physical traits... Example: short stature and large eyes of trykers.

Observation: The various regions of Atys are fairly isolated from one another.

Observation: Varieties of the same species appear all over Atys, such as the Bodoc, disspite the physical barriers between them.
~Conclusion: These species must have been part of a single population that became seperated due to a geographical change.

Theory: All homins descended from a single population, that became seperated at some point in time. Over time, different traits became isolated and became prevalent in the diffrent populations... resulting in the four types of homins we see now...

I invite all to challange my theory.
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
sidusar

Re: The Atysian Science Forum

Hah, Feneris On the Origin of Species!

I'm going to go start up a movement now to declare your teachings heresy to Jena and have them banned from all schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenerismoon
Observation: This offspring however will always be definitely of one type or the other. There are no hybrids.

~Conclusion: There was no single homin population that split into four. If this was the case, then enough intermingling would eventually return all four types into one homogeneous population again, and this is not so. The four types of homins must've been biologically engineered to always remain divided into 4 types.

Quote:
Observation: Varieties of the same species appear all over Atys, such as the Bodoc, disspite the physical barriers between them.
~Conclusion: These species must have been part of a single population that became seperated due to a geographical change.
I challenge the validity of your conclusion! You've not observed that different types of bodocs can mate and bear fertile offspring! The different types of bodoc might not actually be the same species, but completely different species that just happened to end up looking very similar.
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #3
komissar

Well In fact Feneris is right in some things

Quote: posted by sidusar
Observation: This offspring however will always be definitely of one type or the other. There are no hybrids

Hmm then i wonder where did this come from

This is an early image of the game.

I'd say that there actually where hybrids but only a few and unable to reproduce themselves...

Quote:

Here's an abstract from "ye olde lore" (beta)

[ Removed - Boroshi ]

"A fond memory" of the "Order of the Nameless"
Matisian Botanist: "Complete Atlas of Atysian Flora (work in progress)"
Devoted Scholar of the "Zorai pictograms" "Zorai pictographic Signatures on demand"
Author of "The Kitin Scriptures" "The Kitin Scriptures WEBCOMIC!!!"
"Яussians may die - but never give up!"

Last edited by boroshi : October 16th, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #4
thlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by komissar
Here's an abstract from "ye olde lore" (beta)

" The peoples of Atys are known as homins...."

<OOC>
Hello Kommisar,

while the excerpt of the old lore is valuable to the discussion, in my opinion, you shouldn't present it here in 'The Saga' section. This is outside knowledge, that now homin should know about - yet.

Cheers
</OOC>
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #5
katriell

This whole thread is OOC, presumably. But yes, it's dubious to post that kind of lore publicly at all (I say this even though I adore "that kind of lore"). It's spoilers.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #6
symolan

Why is it considered inappropriate to publish something that was publicly available long time ago?

For the ones not having the privilege to be here in beta it is actually quite nice to see such things without having to search archives, which would certainly be feasible.

The initial post says, that one should mention observations that support a theory and does not state that only ig-observations are allowed. So, dragging old lore here doesn't seem to be against the threads intention in my opinion.

embrel
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
sidusar

Yeah, I saw the initial post as being OOC and so my response was intended.

Quote:
This is an early image of the game.
I know the image. That's just the early models of the Fyros and the Zoraï, before the Zoraï masks were written in. Never intended to be hybrids.

The latest word from the powers-that-be on this was:
To have children is possible between homins of two different races, but there will be no interbreeding of the racial physical characteristics, a race will take the step on the other one. So, Matis and Fyros can have children, and they will be of appearance Matis or Fyros.

Quote:
[ Removed - Boroshi ]
Well, that would support my theory then: Homins were [ Removed - Boroshi ] to always remain divided into 4 different types, to make sure they'd always be fighting eachother.

Lore as old as this probably isn't canon anymore though.

Last edited by boroshi : October 16th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #8
boroshi
Community Manager

While this thread is very interesting, I have two points to make:

1 ) The things Komissar posted is not really "beta" lore as it was not publically available at the time of the last open beta or at release; even if it is a true reflection of the original storyline made by the original writer, things evolve and it may or may not be used as the basis of future storyline. Even despite this, posting such things can generally be considered to be "spoiling" and so not suitable for these forums.

2 ) The screenshot posted is from a very early alpha and should not be used as the basis for any IC or OOC conclusions about the races; as far as I'm aware it's simply what Zorai used to look like before someone decided to give them masks .

As an aside, if there is enough IC interest in discussions like this, I'm sure something can be arranged with the event teams at some point in the future
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #9
dakhound

Oo we have an event team now?
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #10
riveit

Quote:
Theory: All homins descended from a single population, that became seperated at some point in time. Over time, different traits became isolated and became prevalent in the diffrent populations... resulting in the four types of homins we see now...

I invite all to challenge my theory.

All Temples agree that homin races were created during the founding of Atys. The Kamist lore claims that each race rose separately from seeds in their respective homes. How does your theory explain the hominid races, the Gibbads, Frahar, Cutes and extinct Momos? Are they more evolved than homins?