Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 26th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #1
keoni

tip: creating alts with inherited interface

I'm the sort of gamer that tweaks the hotkeys and such for almost everything... I like all my key actions to be on the home keys for my left hand, for example. If I had to recreate all those changes to the UI by hand, using the in-game tools provided, it would be extremely time-consuming and downright vexing. Fortunately, there's a much simpler solution - and my apologies to the original poster, if this has been posted before:
  • in ryzom, create your alt so you know what their name will be (obviously many of the ones you might want are taken). Once created, exit the game.
  • from your desktop, navigate to the "save" subdirectory of your ryzom game folder.
  • right click and drag the .icfg and keys_ xml folder corresponding to your main character, and create copies of both in the same directory. In my case, I would end up with "copy of keys_keoni" and "copy of interface_keoni.icfg".
  • rename those two files to correspond to your newly-created character. For example, "copy of keys_keoni" becomes "keys_hathor".
  • restart the game and your alt will have all the same keyboard shortcuts, macros, and window layouts you used in your main character.
As an added bonus - your new character also has all the map flags that your main had planted. Shiny!

I hope this helps someone, somewhere, somewhat Be well & bright blessings everyone...
keoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #2
aylwyne

Re: tip: creating alts with inherited interface

I use this trick myself, however, I found one little glitch that happens for me.

My main character (Oshido) is part of a guild and therefore has a guild tab in chat. I have my "User" chat tab set up to show guild chat messages, among others. If I leave my main character set this way and copy the config files over for my new character, my client fails to load if that character isn't in a guild because because it can't find the guild chat channel.

As soon as I recruited my alt into a guild, I was able to copy over the config files and it worked fine.

I haven't tested if I remove guild chat from my "User" chat settings if it will work. I'm guessing it will as that's about the only config I've done that directly involves the guild.
aylwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #3
sehracii

This is great, thanks!

I don't need really need it for alts, but I do play on two different computers. Everytime I make a macro I have to do it again on the other computer... and I hate going to look for a mat and realize the flag isn't on the machine I'm playing on.

Actually, macros and flags should be on servers with the rest of your character information, so it loads no matter where you play from
sehracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:30 PM   #4
kildarin

sticky!! this message is to short
kildarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #5
xl2i5

Thank You!@!$!@#

:d
xl2i5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #6
cielchan

It is wise to backup your save directory on a regular base as it contains your macros, interface settings and all landmarks. Reinstalling the game without a backup of the folder and you lose all this as it is not saved server-sided.
cielchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #7
philu

Also if the game crashes during log off, these files can become corrupted and you lose all your config, unless you have a back up like I did.

All posts are In Person (Not IC, not OOC, not Rp, just me!)

Chasing the DING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katriell
You can't "complete" the mainland. If one thinks one has seen or done everything there, one is kidding oneself. But be prepared to "get out what you put in," because the mainland does not coddle or hold hands.
philu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #8
daestny
Game Master

Stickied! And moved to the Newcomers Forum where it can be used and appreciated by everyone.
daestny is offline   Reply With Quote