Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Customer Support > Technical Support
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #1
zumwalt

Think I located source of lagging...

I know I know, you guys are working your tail off on trying to optimize the code and fix the problem..

But might I interject a major observation...

The problem seems to stem from a server to client flood, ok here is what I mean, you have tried to originally optimize the code for low bandwidth users, aka, modem.

The checksums in place for this type of connection do not work with high speed.

In essance, the responce carrier from the client is slower at this point than the sender at the server end, so the server sends, lets say, 10 requests, but the client responds with only 2.

What happens is this, the other 8 are then queued, and resent per say, now I know this is sounding odd to some of you, but bear with me a second.

Normally, my cable modem has no problems staying online for days at a time without a CRC reset, BUT when I play Ryzom, there is a flood of inbound traffic, and not alot of outbound activity.

What does this do.. well, in essance, the data packets get truncated, and lost, so the synch between the client and server is lost, now with so much trash data on my line, my good old cable modem recycles itself.

Again, this ONLY happens while playing Ryzom, to test this yourself, watch your data connect light on your cable modem, when you have a long lag spike, see if it blinks for recycling.

This game is great on dial-up, because the sender / receiver stay closer in synch.

This is not a server side lag issue, this is a synchronization issue between the client and the server.

And yes, I do know you are using SOCKS for the transport, and your transport code was written in C++

You need to detect the bandwidth or connection type and adjust the client's upload packet size accordingly, this would probably eliminate atleast 60% of the problem.

Also, I am presuming you are using either 32k or 64k packet sizes, might want to play with this some.
zumwalt is offline   Reply With Quote