Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 16th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #1
lawrence

Character name advice

Before creating a character in SoR, please review the official naming policies:

http://www.ryzom.com/support/policie...s#legal_naming

The process of finding a character name you like can sometimes be a painful procedure. Here's a few links to help you guys finding a suitable name for your character:

http://ebon.pyorre.net/ - The Everchanging Book of Names (a.k.a. EBoN), a Shareware name generator for Windows.

http://www.google.com - It often helps running a quick check on your chosen name via Google, as it could be the name of a large Company, the name of a known product, or have a different meaning you are not aware of.

Respectfully submitted,
Lawrence

Last edited by boroshi : June 29th, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #2
geezas

Re: Character name advice

Tip: use a online dictionairy and look up a concept you want associated with the character in lets say: Bambara (spoken in mali) and use that. Works for me

google a dictionairy for Pashai and see what hero or warrior means in that language, and yuo have your instant melee hero prince with a eastern touch

(pashai is spoken in afganistan, iran and pakistan)
geezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #3
vutescu

Fyros names are armenian names, Tryker looks irish/scotish to me, Zora - asian. No clue bout Matis.

And more about player names. My ingame name - Rjak - comes from an old legend where the main character were a necromancer (Rjak). But after I used it in a lot of online games (more than 6 yrs), i find out that the game "Lords of Magic" from Microprose had also a black mage called Rjak character, and is also a .... i dont know how is called in english (Ripper Jack / R Jack / Rjak). But those are things that I discovered after I started to really like this nickname and I'd rather not play a game that not allow me to wear it (I know is stoopid and childish but everyone have his own birdie )
And even more. IF Jyudas would not RP so much, I'd be the 1-st one to ask his name changed. But he has choosen the name of the one who sold Christ for 30 silver coins and, in game, he acts like a real mercenar. A worthy follower of Juda / Jyuda. So as long he's IC, why should I spoil the game for him?
But are other examples. There is a player called "Death" and he's wearing constantly the "Avatar of Destruction" title. I can't say it looks bad, is rather impressive.... but this is NOT a name for a player. For a mob, maybe, but not for a player. Is like he constantly says: "Look at uber me, i knew that before i started the game" Is not spoiling the imersion, but is more than bragging if you ask me.
Anyway, i've meet "VillageIdiot", "Iabtvaiumati" ("screw your mother" - translation from russian), "FluffyPussy", "Iaman00b", "Helpme" and many others only in Fyros lands. I assume each part of Atys have its retards. So why bother anymore?

PS And sorry Hormonal, I know you in-game, but if you want my 2 dappers, is really not an appropriate name.
vutescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #4
sehracii

Matis names look rather Italian?
sehracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #5
geezas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehracii
Matis names look rather Italian?

They do have a italian ring to them if you pronounce them as italian words
geezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #6
mbaucco

Talking Re: Character name advice

I'm new to Ryzom but not to MMRPGs, and I have yet to see this debate resolved anywhere. For my part, a name is ok with me as long as it is not:

a) offensive

b) unoriginal. Soooooo sick of seeing Gimli's, Drizz'ts, Legolases, Vlads, etc.

c) hubristic. Nothing wrong with it really, but calling yourself GreatSlayer or DoomBringer? I hope you have the chops to back up the big name, especially if there is PvP

I don't see a problem with someone using a nickname, there is a grand old literary traditon for it (Athos, Aramis, Porthos were all nicknames, for instance). I personally think nicknames should be earned and not created, but that is just me.

Anyway, hard to pass up this topic, it is like slowing down to see a car crash.

-Matt

ps: I did not know the Zorai were supposed to be Chinese either, my name is more Middle Eastern. They seemed like Sufis to me. :P
mbaucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #7
ahlmea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gturner6
I'm still downloading the game so forgive me if this is a silly question, but does the char gen screen have a random name generator to get an idea about each race's typical naming style? From the basic descriptions of each race I'm tending towards Matis.

Matis is the way to go

I like this generator. Seems to generate alot of good names.

Anyways, welcome to Atys. Hope you enjoy your stay
ahlmea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #8
douph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlmea
I like this generator. Seems to generate alot of good names.

YES!
That is the one that I use. I took the time to learn how to use the 'advanced interface' and got some impressive results. Someone requested a list of potential names, and I happen to have a list of names I generated for Ryzom. Unfortunately, I later discovered that Ryzom does not allow names that contain apostrophes. You may find the first name in this list to be *somewhat* familiar.

Kale'uhar, Dough'idem, Yrak'atkal, Rmor'aldash
Sath'enskel, Vtai'abser, Rray'unndel, Rskel'urrest
Trold'aphir, Drtan'ulough, Vmos'ilten, Nust'yvril

I'm not crazy about Rray, but otherwise I like these. I think I selected 3 or so from every full page of actual generated names.
douph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #9
mtroisf

Ok, I'm new and made up a cute little Tryker named Chii (variant of previous names I've used). Then I realised...hey, this may not really fit with the race's naming style! Anyway, I'll probably change it if I can find an Irish-y name I like since this seems to be the consensus of the style of names they have.

Oh, and why I'm typing, I hope the lonliness of the noob area is an exception because it's REALLY lonely. Hopefully I'll meet cool people soon. hehe
mtroisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #10
vguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtroisf
Ok, I'm new and made up a cute little Tryker named Chii (variant of previous names I've used). Then I realised...hey, this may not really fit with the race's naming style! Anyway, I'll probably change it if I can find an Irish-y name I like since this seems to be the consensus of the style of names they have.

Oh, and why I'm typing, I hope the lonliness of the noob area is an exception because it's REALLY lonely. Hopefully I'll meet cool people soon. hehe
Unless your name is offensive, it probably wont get changed... you might want to rename before you start adventuring (unless you want to use this one to learn/look) by creating a new avatar.

Noobland is sparse because everyone is in a hurry to get to the mainland and meet me :P
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote