Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:43 PM   #1
raynes

Forget Nevrax, lets come up with a good ratings system for scenarios.

Since the people at Nevrax seem to be completely incapable of designing a decent ratings system for scenarios, I think we as players need to take the Ring slogan "power to the players" and put it to use.

I think it’s total BS that the only scenarios that get a rating are the ones that are filled with combat, forget the awards (though that is a big problem), this is about ratings. So instead of complaining and waiting for them to do something (which who knows when it will happen), I think we the players should come up with our own system of rating scenarios. That is the point of this thread. So lets work together and come up with something.

To set things in motion here are my thoughts.

I think a ratings system with similar aspects to the US movie rating system might work here. Basically there is a group of people that you can submit your movie to, that give it a rating. I think something like that could work for Ryzom.

So we get a group of volunteer players and maybe Nevrax can throw in a few CSR’s. Each with a different play style and beliefs as to what makes game play fun. When a player wants a rating for their scenario they submit it to the group. Each member of the group then rates it in different categories on a scale of 1-5:

Storytelling: How was the story?
Combat: How was combat?
Puzzles: How were the puzzles, if any?
Ease of Use: Was it clear and easy to follow?
Entertaining: How fun was it?

The scores are then averaged out to give an overall score. Now it wouldn’t be fair to a person who put no puzzles (or other category) in their scenario to drop their overall score for a massive amount, yet it wouldn’t be fair to give the same score to someone who put puzzles in. So to solve this, the average would be equal to the total of scores/number of categories used. Then a point is given for each category is used. That is divided by the total of categories and added to the other total.

Here are some examples:

Scenario A
Storytelling: 4
Combat: 2
Puzzles: 4
Ease of Use: 5
Entertaining: 5
Total: 20
Average: 20/5 = 4
Bonus: 5/5 =1
Total Score for Scenario A: 5

Scenario B
Storytelling: 1
Combat: 5
Puzzles: N/A
Ease of Use: 5
Entertaining: 5
Total: 16
Average: 16/4 = 4
Bonus: 4/5 =.80
Total Score for Scenario B: 4.80

The raters would have the choice of explaining why they rated the way they did or not.
Each scenario would then be put on a website that would have a function to allow you to search through the submitted scenarios based on any item the player wanted. So they could find the best over all, the best combat, the best story telling and so on. They could also see the over all score a rater has received for all the creations they have made.

So who would the raters be? In my opinion it would have to be players who have been long time players, who know how the game works, who know at least one aspect of the game very well. Three examples would be Me, Grimjim, and Vguerin (and I’m not saying that we should be or their aren’t other people), just giving an example. I like PvP and combat but also like storyline. Grimjim doesn’t like combat but like storyline. Vguerin likes it all. We are long time players and even though we disagree on things, I think we could give honest opinions without resorting to giving a bad rating cause we have someone personal against players. Again, I am not putting myself as an automatic rater, I am simply using myself as an example.

So those are my thoughts. This is really an open discussion. There is no one correct way. I’m simply hoping we as players can come up with something to give real ratings to all scenario makers, not just those who put lots of mobs and combat in.

So what are your thoughts?
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote