Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 31st, 2006, 08:23 PM   #21
opivy

Re: Character name advice

I recently created characters on both Cho and Ari, and I was very surprised, when I was allowed to create the name "Ender" on Cho. I must confess I gave the naming policy the most cursory of glances in my excitement to get started.

In retrospect, and upon actually reading the policy, it is obviously a name which contravenes the naming standards. I may not have ran into the jungle slaying Kitins screaming in /r about the damn "buggers", but I can appreciate how using a fairly well-known fantasy name might be distracting and inimmersive to other players. At the same time, I had many conversations with people who recognized the name and loved the books as much as I did. Actually had great discussions of the series with a few people.

On Arispotle, the server I ended up continuing the play on, my name is "Varelse". Fans of Mr. Card's will recognize this as well, although it's not a name, but a word borrowed from Swedish and made into a conceptual term in the "Enderverse". Although the name is borrowed from another fantasy universe, I don't consider it to be in violation of the naming policy and shouldn't be disrupting to the immersion of others. I'm curious to read other people's take on it. I like the name because it still gives a hint toward my personal interests and things I might be interested in chatting about ooc.

Any thoughts? I'd like to hear some opinions before I make my recommendation, which would be that if you want to pay homage or convey some of your interest, try and do it with a little subtlety by not using place and people names, but perhaps concepts or other less "namey" words.

Of course, now I get a lot of people wanting to know if I'm Swedish.
opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #22
kekulus

"Strange things are afoot in Mordor and rumours abound of a dark power rising in the east and dark riders exiting the gates in search of... something.

Meanwhile, in the shire SlapNutz002 Baggins is set to inherit the house and unusual legacy of his uncle, SlapNutz001. When SlapNutz001 vanishes from his own eleventy-first birthday party SlapNutz002 finds himself confronted by Pwnz0r the Grey.

Pwnz0r has ascertained the true power of the ring that SlapNutz001 had left to his nephew and knows that it must be taken somewhere safe and a council called to determine what must be done with it.

At the council it is determined that SlapNutz002 and his other hobbit companions, SlimShady, Qwerty and ILoveCake will travel with the ring along with Pwnz0r the Wizard, SirKillALot of Gondor, PoonHunter the Ranger, BeardyWeirdie the dwarf and LegOLamb the elf in order to try and see it destroyed in far off Mordor..."

HAA HAA HAA HAA ! ! !

Sir, you win the Kewpie doll for the day... i haven't been that tickled in a long time.

Incidentally, it seems like you might have some storytelling skill lurking in there somewhere - ever thought about story writing?
kekulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #23
ark014

These are my Ryzom chars' names. I just gave them names of my own choosing:

Amphiaraus (Matis): from Greek mythology, a warrior-priest who was a hero of the war of the Seven Against Thebes.

Otho (Zorai): named after the first King of Greece in the modern era (19th century).

Amaila (Matis): named after the first Queen of Greece in the modern era (19th century).

Morbius (Fyros): named after Dr. Morbius from the classic 1956 SF film "Forbidden Planet".

Altaira (Tryker): named after the daughter of Dr. Morbius from the classic 1956 SF film "Forbidden Planet".

Thanks,
Amphiaraus
ark014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #24
zarozina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekulus
"Strange things are afoot in Mordor and rumours abound of a dark power rising in the east and dark riders exiting the gates in search of... something.

Meanwhile, in the shire SlapNutz002 Baggins is set to inherit the house and unusual legacy of his uncle, SlapNutz001. When SlapNutz001 vanishes from his own eleventy-first birthday party SlapNutz002 finds himself confronted by Pwnz0r the Grey.

Pwnz0r has ascertained the true power of the ring that SlapNutz001 had left to his nephew and knows that it must be taken somewhere safe and a council called to determine what must be done with it.

At the council it is determined that SlapNutz002 and his other hobbit companions, SlimShady, Qwerty and ILoveCake will travel with the ring along with Pwnz0r the Wizard, SirKillALot of Gondor, PoonHunter the Ranger, BeardyWeirdie the dwarf and LegOLamb the elf in order to try and see it destroyed in far off Mordor..."

HAA HAA HAA HAA ! ! !

Sir, you win the Kewpie doll for the day... i haven't been that tickled in a long time.

Incidentally, it seems like you might have some storytelling skill lurking in there somewhere - ever thought about story writing?
I believe Jyudas (Grimjim) is, in fact, a writer in RL

BTW, funny as hell Jyu, and sums up exactly how I feel.

oh, and one other thing ...

THERE ARE NO TIGERS ON ATYS!!! As far as I can tell, there are no lollipops either :S. please make names that are names for the sake of all that you hold dear, not just embarasing random strings of words. It makes me sad.
zarozina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #25
ark014

My favorite MMO char names ever -- a female char in SWG named "Spankya" and a male SWG char named "wOOt wOOt".

I agree l33t pwnzor MMO char names stink on ice, but sometimes seeing a witty and amusing MMO char name adds to my ingame experience.

Thanks,
Amphiaraus
ark014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #26
japamala

One thing I'm wondering about....

how do names from various mythology's fit in?

I know that all of the names of my characters come from Indian mythology, one of which is simply my own name, and the other two are the architects f the demons and demigods, respectively...
japamala is offline   Reply With Quote