Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #11
sx4rlet

Re: The Minefield of Ring Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepi
I did figure out one thing about the spawned mobs not following a route. On the first invocation, the mob spawns, and follows the route into the NPC's that will kill him. Then he respawns, and does not follow the route.

The problem is that if the mob is killed before the route is finished, he won't run the route when the mob respawns. If I make the route end just in aggro range, then the mob runs the route, gets aggro, gets killed, respawns, and then runs the route again. If he gets killed before the route is finished, the mob won't run the route again when respawned.

I am not completely sure, but I get the impression the mob needs to be told to start the route after spawning.

(It's something I never completely figured out, but there is 'autostart' which I suspect to only autostart the first time, and a 'start after event x'. At the end I found the 'start after event x' more usefull, as scripts didnt start how and when I wanted to with 'autostart'. This might be the same thing.)

In R2 language:
-event: if mob spawns, then follow route x.

(Or even:
Event1: if mob dies; then mob eats at place y; and spawns.
Event2: if mob spawns, then follow route x
you might even put in a timer of 1 or 5 seconds and give a message to the GM to tell you where it is the list...)
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #12
sidusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx4rlet
(Good side is, I patched up my old computer with computer parts, so I will be able to put it online with a scenario quite often, while playing games with my main machine. (Now just to run around the world getting spawns so I can host it with another toon too...)
I've actually been running your scenarios nightly, rotating with one of my own.

(If anyone else has Ring maps they wouldn't mind me hosting, do please send them over. )

Just this weekend I ran an alt character all around the world to get all the Ring Points too. Turns out it's not needed for hosting. A character only needs the spawn points to be able to load the scenarios in the editor, not to host them.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #13
olepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtarsia
Its called simple logic

Computers are stupid, you have to tell them everything

just cover all bases and plan ahead

Well, as my signature says, I've been on the "net" for over 30 years; I've been a professional programmer for over 30 years. Currently, I support chip design software that costs over $300K a copy. Some of our customers complain about the "minefield"

I've built a few scenarios in NWN and Morrowind. The Ring is by far the most buggy and non-intuitive editor I have used.
olepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #14
chibiarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx4rlet
In R2 language:
-event: if mob spawns, then follow route x.
I found this to be problematic aswell. My solution is a "retrigger timer" that commands each mob again to start the route. I mostly use routes only as end points (tiny route, but a long way "footsteps" to this route) so the real route is the way the mobs travel to reach the route. But this isn't very nice indeed...

The timer can be set to 1 minute or more, as mobs need 4-5 mins anyway to respawn.

@Opeli I study computer science too and I found the ring has zero usage for people who don't know how to program or understand computer logic basics. This can be seen with most "first" scenarios, people put random stuff on the map, look at bosses but then don't know what to do. And if they try, the bugs usually make them quit really fast. You have to be a "nerd" to use the ring atm. And this sucks.
chibiarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #15
sx4rlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidusar
I've actually been running your scenarios nightly, rotating with one of my own.

OMG I am honoured that you do that !!
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #16
sx4rlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiarc
You have to be a "nerd" to use the ring atm. And this sucks.

Not sure if I should be flattered or feel insulted by this

Although I studied to be an engineer, I now work for a social company, and don't really think the term 'nerd' suits here... But I managed to figure out how the ring works