Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #1
browserice

Playing an evil char: how well would that be received form the community ?

I admit that ever since I got interested into MMO games, I sort of wanted to play an evil char. Not a good person. But not always attacking anyone for no reasons. Living by the code of honor.

Would that be well received by the community (even on Silan) ?

I might look like a player killing other players just for fun but it is not what I want to do. Living by the code of honnor you do not attack anyone for no reasons and give people a chance/choice. I do not know if you know what I mean as I am in a rush to leave the office right now.
browserice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #2
kaetemi

Location: Lembeek, Belgium E-mail: [email protected] NeL Developer
Re: Playing an evil char: how well would that be received form the community ?

As long as you announce a decently grounded reason for attacking *before* you attack, you should be fine. Make sure people know of your evil plans before you attack them. And tell them how to get out of your evil plans.

Even better if you make sure you're on equal weapon equipment with your target. If your target doesn't have any weapons, make it a hand to hand fight, etc.

Oh, and the evil character needs to lose at the end, after bringing the good side to near-death a few times.

Players who just attack anyone they can on sight just because "the game mechanics let them to", are generally perceived as annoying though. Also, repeatedly killing someone every time after he just respawns, is pretty much just harrasment.
kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #3
seawe

yea I think its mostly about who you choose as targets in game if you're attacking and of course how you approach them (killing someone and then yelling 'ya i p0wned u' wouldn't be a good approach ), otherwise as far as rp if you can have others think of your character as how you intended the character then you've succeeded imo. I think its actually probably harder to do 'evil' since you'll need much more lore knowledge to make it work and fit it... (unless you're a Matis who are well known to all be evil evil the moment they born )

In ryzom if you're talking about pvp it might be much easier to 'evil' and violent as only players who like pvp in the first place having their pvp faction tags on.

Quote:
Oh, and the evil character needs to lose at the end, after bringing the good side to near-death a few times.
but that wouldn't be a successful evil character kaetemi, after all everyone knows all evil characters want to Rule The World not lose...
seawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #4
gcaldani

Personally i think you (as anyone else) can play the way you prefer.

Of course, if you want to play an evil character you can expect part of the community reacting not so good at you. At same time you can even find other players that can follow your path.

Anyway, an evil character should expect some hate, otherwise why playing that way? Wanting to be evil and at same time wanting to have good relations with the whole community sounds a bit non sense.

As long as it is done in the context of the game (a sort of rp, but with no need of a real rp) and not kidding or harrassing specifically at a single people, it's okay in my opinion.
gcaldani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #5
whiterider

Well, it sort of depends on how you define evil.

If you intend to RP an evil personality - a truly evil, diabolical villain type thing, I think that'd be quite fun. The whole twisted and scarred backstory, slightly insane overlord style is an entertainment.

If you mean to act in the ways you described above, I believe you'll find there are already people in game who act like that, or are percieved to act like that. You'd probably get the response of being called a jerk every now and then.

...and proud Leader of Whispers of Aria!
whiterider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #6
suib0m

Bah, Nysha pretty much beat me to saying what I was going to say. All the responses here have equated evil to being an A-hole, which is silly. You really have to define what you think evil is. A truly evil person is a person that is solely and poignantly selfish, with a severe loss of ethical boundaries and a twisted sense of desire.

However, the story in that type of character is the discovery, hunting down and bringing to justice of that person. But that doesn't really work so well in an MMO setting (with any MMO I know of so far) with a character you want to play.

So, what would work here? Likely a character that played on the goals of everyone else to elevate their own sense of power. So someone who incites battles between kami and kara, selling equipment and weapons to both sides. Someone who convinces a player that his enemy should be hunted down and killed and convinces them that it would be worth a heafty price, then undertakes that task on their own to meet the evil characters bloodlust and monetary gain, all to the blame of the first player. Someone who strategically spreads rumors to keep communities paranoid while increasing their own status in some way.

I think such a character would work wonderfully in the game that Ryzom proposes to be, a very RP centric one with ongoing storylines. It would work even better if there was an site that storied out the characters exploits and thoughts or something to that effect.

Is this an easy task? Not really. Is it fun? Sometimes more than others. Is it worth it? I would say that it would be a great experiment and I'm betting it would be worth it in the end. Is it what your definition of evil is? I'd say probably not for most folks who think of evil in an MMO.

Anyway, just some thoughts to throw around.

Peace,
- Sui
suib0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #7
habiff

I think it would work really, really well. I'm not certain how to go about it.

Short of creating a guild, getting members to master levels, and then go on a mass crusade to get op's or target PR digging/hunting grounds.
habiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #8
katriell

I support Suibom's post. Anything else would be silly in Ryzom.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #9
browserice

Cool Re: Playing an evil char: how well would that be received form the community ?

Quote:
If you intend to RP an evil personality - a truly evil, diabolical villain type thing, I think that'd be quite fun. The whole twisted and scarred backstory, slightly insane overlord style is an entertainment.

Quote:
Bah, Nysha pretty much beat me to saying what I was going to say. All the responses here have equated evil to being an A-hole, which is silly. You really have to define what you think evil is. A truly evil person is a person that is solely and poignantly selfish, with a severe loss of ethical boundaries and a twisted sense of desire.

However, the story in that type of character is the discovery, hunting down and bringing to justice of that person. But that doesn't really work so well in an MMO setting (with any MMO I know of so far) with a character you want to play.

So, what would work here? Likely a character that played on the goals of everyone else to elevate their own sense of power. So someone who incites battles between kami and kara, selling equipment and weapons to both sides. Someone who convinces a player that his enemy should be hunted down and killed and convinces them that it would be worth a heafty price, then undertakes that task on their own to meet the evil characters bloodlust and monetary gain, all to the blame of the first player. Someone who strategically spreads rumors to keep communities paranoid while increasing their own status in some way.

I think such a character would work wonderfully in the game that Ryzom proposes to be, a very RP centric one with ongoing storylines. It would work even better if there was an site that storied out the characters exploits and thoughts or something to that effect.

You two are the closest to what I feel like. To add to this, lets say someone who is border line in what people think of him:
-They trust him but have douths about him.
-He is their friend but at the same time they sort of fear of him a bit.
-He does not seam powerfull but people fear he is.
-He helps people but they get the feeling there is something behind it.
-He seams respectable but some bad rumours about him are slowly spreading.
-People are hesitating to hang around with him but he is helping everyone and the community.
-Someone who is projecting an image to the community but behind their back he is ploting evil plans all the times and trying not to be discovered

I think the idea of that kind of RP is getting a bit clearer and is close to what I would want to. But it would be hard to do (especially since there does not seam to be enough players around to help by unknowingly being victims).

My initial statement seamed like PVP but that is not what I want. I hate PVP (unless maybe, ..., hummm, there is somekind of twisted gain in the end toward the master eveil plan .... hummmm, interesting ....)
browserice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #10
kalindra

Hey, someone told me it's been done before, and better than that. Fear his return to the bark because he's the one that people love to hate ! (I'd personnally be happy if he did come back. Would bring back some sort of life to Atys.)

Three guesses who I'm talking about ?

The Exodus Syndicate

"Experience Perfection : Unharness Your Power"

"Ignore the flames or grill your marshmallows on them. Then feed them to the trolls so they keep their mouth shut."
kalindra is offline   Reply With Quote