Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 13th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #1
gcaldani

Thumbs up Rites: this is the right direction, imho.

Well,

once back i've done, few days ago, the 2 new rites added by the devs with the last patch.

This was a good work.

A mix of soloable and group content, some step very fun to do with a good use of a mount, one step that gives you a chance to visit some underused places (not that i needed that really as i trekked everywhere over time).

Need some time, but not too much. And sure the rites are special tasks that cannot be done in few minutes. Despite I was going crazy at beginning because i misunderstood the timers in the Kinchers rite, i promptly seen that they were fair enough, if you just take your time to map the spots in the meanwhile.

Also, the last steps in the lair can be pretty fun.

Only one critic (i have to do at least one ): aranas are desert and forest only animals and really should not be found in the underground expecially into a kitin lair.

It's true that Almati Wood is forest but the Lair is in the underground.

Just more respect for the lore would be nice

Anyway, that was a pretty nice job and I hope you will do more in the future (well i still wish more sand in the box as u know, but this content is good).
gcaldani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2
jwenting

Re: Rites: this is the right direction, imho.

The animals in the kitin lair are not pr animals. They're herds brought there by the kitins as a walking food supply.
jwenting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #3
gcaldani

uhm, well, that sounds a good explanation
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #4
kalindra

You actually see the kinchers bringing in food sometimes...

The Exodus Syndicate

"Experience Perfection : Unharness Your Power"

"Ignore the flames or grill your marshmallows on them. Then feed them to the trolls so they keep their mouth shut."
kalindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #5
acridiel

I agree about the Rites being a nice and good idea, but at least the "Kincher Rite" is imho too buggy and extremely poorly implemented.

As you said yourself, the timers in the Kincher rite aren´t explained correctly and almost everyone "misunderstood" them at first, me included.
Why can´t this be properly explained in the rites text?

Dying while on the Kincher Rite messes with the sequence of steps and forces you to either abandon the mission, or simply resets it by itself, to start all over again.
Which is extremely frustrating.

For example, if you´re being attacked by some of the numerous aggros around the Tryker NPC and killed, while on the way to "Gerders watch",
the rite resets and you´re forced to re-trace your steps to the NPC and talk to her again.
(Happend to me)

If you´re interrupted while talking to her and flee into the water, or die, you´re even forced to restart the whole rite from the Nest Ranger NPC.
(Happend to me)

If Gerder is killed by someone, for the rite or not, or gets stuck somewhere in the landscape (happend before) you´ll wait until your hair goes gray for him.
(Happend to me, waited about an hour before I went looking for him, did not find him and gave up.)

If you´re killed by Gerder, while trying to bring him down, you can start at the Tryker NPC again. (Happend to others)

There are several more issues with the rite others have reported that I can´t remember now.
You all know that I´m truly averse to criticizing those that do their best for us at WG HQ, but this Rite puts their work to shame.

Please Devs, fix it!

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #6
gcaldani

Oh, well.

Nothing of that problems happened to me.

First reason is I hate to die so I never died once even doing that step in solo, because i simply used my mount and fast i understood that i just had to move over the spot to catch the required loot, as long as i mounted with the phial in hand. So, don't need to dismount and can run all over the spots pretty fast, checking the paths while timers were up.

I was not interrupted during the NPC talk because before i started the chat, i found a good position IN water that worked, so no animals annoyed me.

Killed by Gerder? You joking, I cannot be killed by him being helped by fellow and powerful guild and faction friends

I only got one issue during the kizoar rite's step about searching and killing lethal kizoar at various OP. It happened in Umbra where one OP didn't triggered the mission for some reason (could have been a lag issue tho, as i also crashed after a while there). Once relogged from crash everything went well.

About Gerder, well i think the 24h timer to do it just give you enough freedom to do something else or logout for a while. You have the time even to fix your gray hair issue with a good potion in real life

About a better text in the Kincher's rite timers, well, i think the devs have tought: "No dev team around the world would have put 30 minutes timer for each of the 12 steps, ending with a nice total of 6 hours doing nothing but wait, so we are sure our nice community will never think we could do that and promptly understand that the timers are just 4, for the spots that have the actual loot!!"
I admit tho, i whined a bit in guild chat before understanding my misunderstanding!

Well, okok, my answer is more a joke than serious.

Serously, even if the rites have some issue, the general concept to have the enciclopedia rites up and running is still a good thing. Only if we have actual content the devs can look and fix the eventual bugs.
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #7
jwenting

And if you do find a potential real problem (rather than just being annoyed at a timer), tell a CSR and/or file a ticket.
They will try to help, and if it's a real problem, try to solve it.

The kincher rite works, just takes time.
Kizoar rite is extremely finnicky, never do it in a team where more than one person has the mission or it will bug out on at least someone.
jwenting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #8
ajsuk

Oh please, don't make me defend the guy, I'm sure he knows how to send in a damn ticket.

The point is, the text is scrappy and unclear, and the mechanics are flimsy and very easily bugged. This isn't a hidden issue or little niggle, it's just plain crappy implementation. Unfortunatly this is very À la Ryzom carte.
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
ajsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #9
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsuk
Oh please, don't make me defend the guy, I'm sure he knows how to send in a damn ticket.

The point is, the text is scrappy and unclear, and the mechanics are flimsy and very easily bugged. This isn't a hidden issue or little niggle, it's just plain crappy implementation. Unfortunatly this is very À la Ryzom carte.

*in the meantime, somewhere far below*

Demon 1: "Hey Asfgl! Have you been messin´with the thermostat again?!"

Demon 2: "Uhm, nope. Why?"

Demon 1: "Damnation! Its snowing in here!!!!"

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #10
ajsuk

lol
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
ajsuk is offline   Reply With Quote