Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1
browserice

Not many scenarios done yet ?

I don't know but I get the impression that the total amount of available scenarios done by the community is somewhat between 5 and 10. I mean, just looking at the forum's low frequency posting, there doesn't seam to be that many people actualy doing something.

Last edited by browserice : June 2nd, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
browserice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #2
clyne
Registered Player

Re: Not many scenarios done yet ?

A good scenario if made solo can take months. By "good" I mean quality presentation with exact likeness of that of the mainlands if not better. Presentation is not only the issue but the map design, plot, & mechanics. Several of which would have been easier for us programmers without doing the drag'n'drop bit.. if there was a Ring language with some advanced functionalities such as programmable missions, events, setting variables & arrays.

There is so much to do. Personally half of my scenarios require such advanced functionalities, instead of settling for what I can do - I merely put them on hold. I really cant settle for releasing a unprofessional scenario when it could have been so much better.

Several of the concepts if not all can be achieved by extensive use of events and what not but as I said it takes time.

Currently speaking for myself, I have six possible scenarios on the list but owing to the quality of presentation, and make do of several concept makes it time consuming. I've been at it for the past three months with almost no progression!

Olca
- The Homin of Destiny

Relino
- The Cutest Trykertte

~*~ An adventurer and a melee combatant ~*~

Last edited by clyne : June 8th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.
clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #3
beaut666

I use the Ring to make movies, like a self contained movie set. It's PERFECT for that. And yes, I agree, there are some things that we cannot do yet that need to be implemented, but there is still alot you can do.

Here is my original post with the movie links:

I have been working on a lil movie using only the Ryzom Ring for a week or so, off and on.
It came out pretty good, minus all the editing and camera errors. Oh well, they'll get better, if I make more.
The Ring is awesome for movies. If you had a few players to act as actors, you could do almost anything.

http://www.beauturkey.com/ryzom/ryz1.wmv

http://www.beauturkey.com/ryzom/ryz2.wmv

Let me know if you see anything crazy, I did alot of version of them and hopefully i uploaded the right ones.
Beau

Beau (Arispotle Server)
beaut666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #4
kalindra

Nice enough, but there is still work to do. I don't know if you uploaded the right ones, but there are some silly details that makes me wonder about the second video.

First : there sems to be something very strange about the caprinys walking in from the edges of the screen. It's maybe just a fraction of a second, but it is still a very unnatural movement. I would have a hard time trying to explain it in details, though.

Second : the loooooong black screen at the end that lasts up to the end of the song. Is it normal ? Then chose a shorter song, because your generic is very very short... or show some "bloopers", something.

Third : The jump in the the story between the "green land" in Episode 1 and the "sand land" in episode 2. How did our 2 Trykers know that they had to get there ? When did they find out that the mother was "kidnapped" ? That's too big of a jump to me. Part of the story seems to have been lost between the two episodes.

I'm not bashing it. I'm just telling you what I noticed that seemed crazy just as you asked. Maybe it's because it isn't the real episode 2 (maybe it is, but how on Atys am I supposed to know ?)

There's also a glimpse of the targetting circle in the beginning of episode 1 (around 1:14 and 1:15) but I haven't noticed it anywhere else, so you did quite a good camera/editing job on that aspect.

The shot with the gingos sleeping almost made those darned hateful doggies look cute. (How can a gingo be cute... I don't even want to think about it )

I just hope you'll continue woking on it, polishing the final result and filming/editing the end of the story. Because it looks like the mother isn't dead yet for sure. And that episode end beside the fire surrounded by the caprynis just isn't a suitable story conclusion. I want to know the rest of it.

Good job, now get back to work.

The Exodus Syndicate

"Experience Perfection : Unharness Your Power"

"Ignore the flames or grill your marshmallows on them. Then feed them to the trolls so they keep their mouth shut."
kalindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #5
beaut666

Thanks Kal! Yeh when the herds of mobs come from offscreen to on, some of them looked they were doing a "wheely" or like jumping into the frame. I wonder if it's my card or something? I had no idea how to fix it.
ANd to be honest, this was more of an experiment. By the time I got done I my eyes were crossing so I just put em out there.
So I'm definitely going to write and direct some more...just figuring out where to squeeze in the time.
Back to the original topic, we should have a community contest to find the best scenario. I could easily get one together..that would be great!
Beau

Beau (Arispotle Server)
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #6
frakel

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyne
A good scenario if made solo can take months.

So true. Ive found that I can cut down ´production time´ tremendeously by making a cool setting, set up a few critical user triggers, and then run the scenario as a mastered scenario. This mean no dialogue has to be prepared and THAT is a timesaver.
frakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #7
tr808

hehe about the months thing is so true, but another thing keeping me back from launching any is the fact not many people tend to attend a scenario... also it seems GF isnt focusing on the product for a long time to come :'(
tr808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #8
beaut666

I dont know Mok, I think it'll pick up, soon enough. I wouldn't be suprised if they had some things being worked on for the Ring.
Beau

Beau (Arispotle Server)
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #9
sidusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyne
I've been at it for the past three months with almost no progression!
I too can relate to that. When the Ring first came out I started on what was supposed to be a very basic scenario, just something for a first try to get to know the Ring and learn what all is possible, before doing more complicated ones. I still haven't finished that scenario. Let alone any of the others I've started on later.

At times I've spent an entire afternoon trying to find a bug in the scenario. Other times I've spent the entire day moving trees around and never getting them just right. I also have a whole new respect for making balanced levels in games now. I shove mobs around for days and yet I can't even create a suitable challenge for my own character. It either comes out as a walk in the park, or as nigh-on-impossible.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote