Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1
bgraz

sorry, but i'm pissed off

i've moped around a couple days now, sad that i can't log in to game and enjoy atys like i have for nearly 3 years. But the more i think about it i'm completey pissed off that GF France never once let on that they were in such financial hardship.

just like everyone else still here hoping for the best, i've been a paying customer for many, many months, years even. and for GF to come in and take over the game from its earlier troubles just to let everyone get nice and comfy only to let them down at the end pisses me off to no end. like many here have stated, they did nothing at all to advertise, they did nothing at all to draw new players in for long haul, they did make a patch which made minor improvements and made stamina use not so bad while fighting, but that was so bugged that more paying customers left due to it

the last patch however did not piss me off one bit, infact i was so happy with the stam changes that i leveled new craft skills because of it, what pisses me off is that GF let the game die with no word to players at all, just second hand news of bankruptcy and then near non functioning servers. why the hell could they not let the players know that things were so bleak, we would have went on the offensive, knowing theres nothing to lose and spread the word for GF of this beautiful world we call atys, but instead they gave us no new news, no updates, no facts of the financial state of the game, they chose instead to go to court, seek protection and let the servers go near dead

we all know the facts here and i'm sorry for my rants, but my beer told me it was time to tell GF what i really think of them, a group of narrow minded business men with no foresight and no compassion for their customers or the product that they took on. I for one will never play a GF game ever now, not that i ever even heard of them before they bought Ryzom, but with the shady tactics they took with their customers here , i'd hate to see how they treat others on the rest of their games
bgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #2
ulani

Re: sorry, but i'm pissed off

Since Gameforge bought Ryzom there has been no pressreleases about the game on sites like mmorpg.com. Ryzom used to have quite a good reputation there but has fallen into silence this year.

I find it hard to believe that they bought the game without knowing the actual number of subscribers, that was what the account freeze was for, wasn't it? So the potential buyers wouldn't have to buy "the pig in the sack" (Swedish saying = buy something unseen).

No, I can't recommend their flagship game Ogame. I tried it and for a week it was kind of fun, building up your production line and a guild. But I soon realised that, to be succesful in the game, you need to spend more time with that browser game than any other real MMO. Worse "endgame" than WoW if you ask me.
ulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #3
stijn

stijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #4
varelse

Nothing to be sorry for there, Brock...

I'm just too heartbroken and lost to be pissed off, and my beer is too full of tears to talk to me :'(
varelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #5
arfindel

If I understood correctly GF didn't buy "the game" ever. During the "redressement" legal procedure they bought the right to: 1. administer the game, 2. get any proffits of it if this works out.
All these while they weren't allowed to let go any Nevrax personnel for the whole fiscal year (and both Ma Duk and Jena know we could have done better with some active developpment of the game).

Only now, after GF failure to make it proffitable, we deal with a "liquidation" legal procedure that actually sells out Nevrax assets to pay the debt accumulated by Nevrax and the year when they were administred by GF.

Correct me if I'm wrong pls.
arfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
ulani

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfindel
If I understood correctly GF didn't buy "the game" ever. During the "redressement" legal procedure they bought the right to: 1. administer the game, 2. get any proffits of it if this works out.
All these while they weren't allowed to let go any Nevrax personnel for the whole fiscal year (and both Ma Duk and Jena know we could have done better with some active developpment of the game).

Only now, after GF failure to make it proffitable, we deal with a "liquidation" legal procedure that actually sells out Nevrax assets to pay the debt accumulated by Nevrax and the year when they were administred by GF.

Correct me if I'm wrong pls.

What's the situation now then? Is the game in a "buyable" state? Does it make sense to buy the game and publish it - or is it more profitable to buy the code and art and use for another project?

Some games; RF Online, Lineage 2, Ultima Online, WoW, have "pirate servers" (or whatever you'd call them). Is Ryzom that much more resource hungry that the game needs a 31 000 EUR server to run?
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #7
kaetemi

Location: Lembeek, Belgium E-mail: [email protected] NeL Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulani
Is Ryzom that much more resource hungry that the game needs a 31 000 EUR server to run?
Something in this style, http://www.opennel.org/confluence/do...gin_system.png, I guess. ^^
kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #8
ulani

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetemi
Something in this style, http://www.opennel.org/confluence/do...gin_system.png, I guess. ^^

Explain to me, like you would to a child, Kaetemi. Could the Open Source people run the game for 1000 clients without needing top of the line hardware?
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #9
kaetemi

Location: Lembeek, Belgium E-mail: [email protected] NeL Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulani
Explain to me, like you would to a child, Kaetemi. Could the Open Source people run the game for 1000 clients without needing top of the line hardware?
Who said 'without'?
kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #10
fadebait

Not sure exactly what hardware they run the servers on... but something like an IBM p595 can cost over 1 milllion dollars. It was suggested to me by someone that they run the servers on a debian cluster - that would be cheaper admittedly but still out of range of a donation-based volunteer project.
Plus a connection with high enough bandwidth to support these sorts of player volumes is thousands of dollars a month (depending somewhat on country and location).

I'm afraid I just dont see it. Sony have recently aquired Vanguard, so I dont see them as a likely source of takeover. There are a few other major publishers who might, but most of the ones with enough money to do it are not known for buying struggling MMO's.
Anything is possible, but lets not get our hopes up too much...
fadebait is offline   Reply With Quote