Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #1
clyne
Registered Player

Ryzom Ring back... but what about it's future?

Ryzom Ring is back and functional when I logged in yesterday, but not sure if the exploits are fixed. Now, would the new owners develop ring or focus much more on getting the actual game running or do both?

I would prefer if they would focus more on the game, events, and invasions - the story. But a part of me really wishes them to develop r2 further. Umm.. now I'm contradicting myself ^.^'

Anyway, I accidentally deleted all my .r2 files over a time - all the interesting projects gone to waste, never came into public for all to enjoy, but I'm still in the mood to redo most of them. How about you? will you develop scenarios, organize events and push ring to it's limits?

What are your thoughts on the developers adding a "variable" and a "check for variable conditions" to execute events? basically

Code:
$kitten = 10; or.. var kitten = 10; or int kitten = 10; ..

As well as conditional IF, IF ELSE, WHILE

Code:
if ($kitten = 0) { exe_event(argument[, argument, argument]); }

Or the like? a simple scripting interface that would include variable, conditional checks, and execution of events. Quite frankly... that alone will enable us programmers to develop better AI and event execution in our scenarios. *sigh*

Olca
- The Homin of Destiny

Relino
- The Cutest Trykertte

~*~ An adventurer and a melee combatant ~*~

clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #2
kaetemi

Location: Lembeek, Belgium E-mail: [email protected] NeL Developer
Re: Ryzom Ring back... but what about it's future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyne
but not sure if the * are fixed.
We're not supposed to talk about that. :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyne
What are your thoughts on the developers adding a "variable" and a "check for variable conditions" to execute events? basically
Those features are all implemented already, a bit tricky to learn, but we're not supposed to talk about that either, apparently. I guess there was some internal disagreement on whether it was 'safe' to allow players to do this kind of stuff. As far as I know, a lot of the late decisions in the ring were taken purely for storyline reasons, as well as 'features' added to make sure players still play the normal game and not only ring (they seemed to have worked a bit too well), which added tons of unnecessary limitations to the tool, ultimately leading to the 'death' of the underused project that is the ring.

If I had anything to say about this:
- Remove the whole 'Knowledge' trash limitation, doesn't really attract new players you know
- Allow placing desert trees in the jungle again, they can produce lovely results
- Let me make talking invasion kitins again (they're loads of fun)
- More scenery items, we know they're there (tcm buildings, kara ships, (old) tps, etc)
- Allow manual modifications of the r2 scenario files again
- Scripting withing the ring sandbox should be officially allowed
kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #3
sx4rlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetemi
If I had anything to say about this:
- Remove the whole 'Knowledge' trash limitation, doesn't really attract new players you know
- Allow placing desert trees in the jungle again, they can produce lovely results
- Let me make talking invasion kitins again (they're loads of fun)
- More scenery items, we know they're there (tcm buildings, kara ships, (old) tps, etc)
- Allow manual modifications of the r2 scenario files again
- Scripting withing the ring sandbox should be officially allowed

If I had a say in this....

Give this guy a job for 1 day a week to fix and add stuff to the ring. I get the impression he knows more about the ring then any other person on the planet.
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #4
sidusar

I shall definitely be developing and running Ring maps, and playing other people's maps, as much as I am able to.

But, as much as I myself enjoy the Ring and would prefer development on the Ring over development on the game itself, I've begun to believe it'd be better to spent the development time on the game. A system like the Ring seems to need a sizeable existing playerbase to really work, and that existing playerbase needs to come out of the actual game.

As for the option to use variables to trigger events, it's been on my wishlist from the beginning. I didn't know it was already implemented and kept hidden, but it doesn't surprise me. The Ring editor has been held back by deliberately placed restrictions since release and it's been no end of annoyance.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #5
sx4rlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidusar
But, as much as I myself enjoy the Ring and would prefer development on the Ring over development on the game itself, I've begun to believe it'd be better to spent the development time on the game. A system like the Ring seems to need a sizeable existing playerbase to really work, and that existing playerbase needs to come out of the actual game.

I totally agree. I ran a scenario two days ago to test with a guildie, and suddeny two new persons jumped in as well, curious as they were. I promised to run the scenario soon again, although there were some smaller parts that needed more work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidusar
As for the option to use variables to trigger events, it's been on my wishlist from the beginning. I didn't know it was already implemented and kept hidden, but it doesn't surprise me. The Ring editor has been held back by deliberately placed restrictions since release and it's been no end of annoyance.

Well I can imagine that they dont want exploits from the Ring, but I agree that restrictions are quite overdone imo...
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #6
xtarsia

you can do all that using dialogues xD

It just takes some careful planning.

Also takes a LOT of time...
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #7
clyne
Registered Player

xtarsia, yes I know it can be done using dialogs and objects - but its still forced and time consuming when it comes to heavy condition checks . However, by officially implementing some basic scripting it will improve productivity for us programmers. Remember, we don't like clicking around and dragging things around for hours on end to begin with.

I already use dialogs and hidden yubos to "make do" in place of certain variable and condition checks ^.~*

kaetemi, yes I heard that ring has several features hard coded into it that are not officially available, but didn't know such a feature was hidden away. Quite a waste.

Olca
- The Homin of Destiny

Relino
- The Cutest Trykertte

~*~ An adventurer and a melee combatant ~*~

clyne is offline   Reply With Quote