Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring > Adventure designers hints and exchanges
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #1
raynes

Creative ways to limit number of players

We now have the ability to auto-invite players so that takes care of 1/2 the problem, it still leaves the problem of limiting the number of players in a scenario. So I'm looking for ideas on how to solve this.

Basically I am trying to figure out a way to only allow one player in at a time. And if that player leaves before completing the scenrio how to reset it, for a new player.

Thoughts?
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:10 PM   #2
zangan

Re: Creative ways to limit number of players

This doesn't completly solve the problem, but what I intend to do is break it up into acts. I will have them go do this then next act..yadayada. I will have a couple timer triggers to return to act 1 and go to another 'waiting room' act.

So basically, I will divide my scenerio to restart every half hour (pending on how long it takes). I will have a 'waiting room' act that will be up the first 10 minutes of the hour (or half). After that I will run the scenerio for 20 minute before another timmer trigger returns it to the waiting room act. The waiting room act will basically just have nothing, maybe a couple guards to stop people from exploring the place to early.

So I other words, I won't have a limit to the number of people who come, I will have timer triggers to restart it.

Also, I will open it on start of an hour so that if you see it up, then you can plan when to come on as it will be timed to run exactly a half hour before resetting, so as it won't get all messed up with the times.
zangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:12 PM   #3
nephy13

You also sadly have no way to stop people arriving at any point in the scenario when others are already playing and have half-completed it. As far as I can see, the auto-invite, without more options added, is not really usable on anything but a completely open (non-linear) scenario in a single area/act - something implemented in the same way as the mainland really.
nephy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #4
omegasage

How putting a box around the spawn point with a gate on it that closes and locks after 5 minutes?

Then maybe set a trigger so that when the players move to act 2 (will have same lock) that act 1 resets, opening the lock for 5 minutes.
omegasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #5
chibiarc

Imho the whole scenario moves on to act 2, there are no instances for new players to play act 1 parallel. But correct me here pls.
chibiarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #6
nuitwaters

I have plans from now on to put NPC Dialog in to explain how th RING works for whenever someone enters, (IE extra chat box for instance, persistent until acts finished, other players in instance, etc).

If the function isn't there to do as the OP is asking, might as well educate the player joining rather than cage them up.
nuitwaters is offline   Reply With Quote