Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
kipestia

Location: exotic lands of Myst, Aquaria, Ryzom, and Phantasy Star
are there any texture/3D model tools for Ryzom(/NeL)?

Hello.
Sorry I can't post in the general forum, since I'm on a trial account.

looking for:
I was wondering if there were any utilities or at least code for handling (extracting the data files or at least viewing it) the 3D models and textures and whatnot (skeletons?) in Ryzom. (Does it use a standard from NeL, that a NeL utility or block of code could use? Anything would be better than nothing. I may not be a very experienced coder, but at least it would make it possible theoretically.) I wonder if there's any way I can figure out how body parts/armor and weapons are scaled...

purpose:
I'm wanting to attempt a project that starts with papercraft, but I'd like to eventually make full size props for cosplay and to put a sword on my wall. (I have no skill in anything required for this other than visual arts and some 3D Studio Max)
tangent: (I really wish there were a model viewer for Ryzom like there is for World of WarCraft. Yes. I know about Ballistic Mystix, but it doesn't let you animate, move the camera (rotate and zoom), and it doesn't implement weapons. It's also not fully customizable, since you can't set Zorai horns or body part scaling. I do appreciate greatly what Ballistic Mystix has with their dressing room and weapon gallery, but for my needs I need more.)
kipestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #2
acridiel

Re: are there any texture/3D model tools for Ryzom(/NeL)?

Apart from Ryscape, where you could fly/walk through the world, without MOBs, there´s nothing that I know of.
I´d love to have something like that at my disposition too, for Machinma purposes.
LARP weapons though can be made from screenshots quite fine.
You really don´t need a 3D model to built something like that. Most LARP-Designers do without, so why?

If I had a bit more time at my hands and money, I´d long attempted to build a Matis Sword.
Only thing really difficult would be the leaves on the hilt, for they´re quite flimsy as a cross-guard.

CU
Acridiel

Last edited by acridiel : February 20th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
dazman76

If you can unpack the data files Ryzom uses, I imagine you would find some models that are still in 3DS-compatible formats. This is only a guess, but IIRC 3DS was used to model both the world and the assets it contains - if the packed files don't contain 3DS-compatible files, the NeL source/archive may contain tools to convert between Ryzom and 3DS formats.

I never did look at the NeL stuff or deconstruct any Ryzom files, but I always meant to Maybe one day I'll find the time and effort to do so...
dazman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:14 AM   #4
kipestia

Location: exotic lands of Myst, Aquaria, Ryzom, and Phantasy Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by acridiel
Acridiel
Thanks for the reply, Acridiel.

Quote:
Apart from Ryscape, where you could fly/walk through the world, without MOBs, there´s nothing that I know of.
I´d love to have something like that at my disposition too, for Machinma purposes.
Never heard of Ryscape. That's good to know. Sometimes I miss the place a bit, just like I miss my old home in EverQuest, but usually when I go back it's not the same.
edit: ok, I can't find any results for "ryscape ryzom", and "ryscape" alone seems to have unrelated results.

Quote:
LARP weapons though can be made from screenshots quite fine.
You really don´t need a 3D model to built something like that. Most LARP-Designers do without, so why?

If I had a bit more time at my hands and money, I´d long attempted to build a Matis Sword.
Only thing really difficult would be the leaves on the hilt, for they´re quite flimsy as a cross-guard.
Well, I wanted it to be very accurate. I'm not very good at doing things by eye. I may be an artist, but I have very little training or experience. Most of my experience is from childhood. T_T;
If I can make an accurate real life 3D model, then I can smooth it out, and it'll be perfect.

The hilt could just be made out of something sturdier. Either some kind of resin, or uh... perhaps sculpt it and recast it in metal? I wonder if you could fire-harden some wood or something to get that organic look...

At one point I did some searching on the web for how to make fake amber. I'm sure there are more methods. But one of the things I'll have to do is include the miniature Kipesta in there. I think in order to do that, the best way would be to make it in two parts, and glue them together with something that gets rid of the seam. I know there are some plastics that work that way. I think sculpting the Kipesta would probably be easier done normally, rather than inverted as a negative space into the back of the amber.
One thing though... do Kipesta really have 3 pairs of wings?? I always thought that was an optical trick (or at least the 3D engine attempting to mimic such a thing) that in reality reflected 1 pair of wings moving really quickly. Hmm... concept art would seem to suggest they are 3 sets, since I can see what look like two sockets for the wings visible.

Is there a larger picture of the sword in the logo? I've yet to download all the press kits (running out of bandwidth this month. will have to try from my mom's)
Ah, the one I downloaded years ago seems to have it, as well as a big-big-big close-up of the Kipesta in amber (although slightly different) in the logos/civilizations folder. It's the Zorai one.

I'm going to make another thread specifically for cosplay, or rather, how the crafting in the game could be done realistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazman76
If you can unpack the data files Ryzom uses, I imagine you would find some models that are still in 3DS-compatible formats. This is only a guess, but IIRC 3DS was used to model both the world and the assets it contains - if the packed files don't contain 3DS-compatible files, the NeL source/archive may contain tools to convert between Ryzom and 3DS formats.

I never did look at the NeL stuff or deconstruct any Ryzom files, but I always meant to Maybe one day I'll find the time and effort to do so...
Someone answered me on another forum. It seems NeL does have the tools for this. I'll have to get to work to see just what's involved.

Last edited by kipestia : February 21st, 2009 at 07:30 AM.
kipestia is offline   Reply With Quote