Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
liljna

Question about Character generation

Hello,

I am completely new to Ryzom and is a tad confused about some details in the character generation.

I can see I can choose between 4 socalled action packs or specializations (fight, magic, craft, harvest). What I can't figure out is, if I can make a wrong choice.
Am I locked out of crafting if I pick magic?
Can I ever get the spell 'fear' if I don't pick magic?
Can I get the increased damage if I don't pick fighter?
If I want to craft, am I 'forced' to pick crafting or can I pick it up later?

Both the manual and forums posts talk about 3 points I can put in these 4 categories (fight, magic, etc). But I can only choose one 'pack' so I am guessing the game was changed at one point or am I wrong?

I hope someone will be kind and help me out of this confusion
liljna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #2
ajsuk

Re: Question about Character generation

No, you can still do what you like. The kits just provide you some starter tools in the specific area you choose. There is no wrong choice.
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
ajsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #3
liljna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsuk
No, you can still do what you like. The kits just provide you some starter tools in the specific area you choose. There is no wrong choice.

Many thanks, and this is very good to hear

*bounces around happily*
liljna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljna
Hello,

I am completely new to Ryzom and is a tad confused about some details in the character generation.

I can see I can choose between 4 socalled action packs or specializations (fight, magic, craft, harvest). What I can't figure out is, if I can make a wrong choice.
Am I locked out of crafting if I pick magic?
Can I ever get the spell 'fear' if I don't pick magic?
Can I get the increased damage if I don't pick fighter?
If I want to craft, am I 'forced' to pick crafting or can I pick it up later?

Both the manual and forums posts talk about 3 points I can put in these 4 categories (fight, magic, etc). But I can only choose one 'pack' so I am guessing the game was changed at one point or am I wrong?

I hope someone will be kind and help me out of this confusion

Welcome to Atys

Whoa, I just checked and yes, even the "newer" manual version still speaks of the "three creation zones". Someone must have overlooked this phrase in editing. xD

Well, I´ll report it and maybe we´ll get an updated version "soon" (tm). *LOL*
At the moment a lot of effort seems to go into correcting spelling and translation errors and such, so it´ll probably be included in the process.

The Silan Guide describes the correct process though.

Enjoy your stay on Atys.

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
fiach

As stated earlier, there is no wrong choice, your one avatar on Atys can be everything, Melee, Mage, Crafter, Forager.... etc.

The system is so elegant, that some class attributes, actually enhance other class skills.

For example, if you raise your melee skills, you will increase your HP pool more rapidly, giving you more health points to use for creating spells and making you more formidable in battle with your increased constitution.

Welcome to Atys
fiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #6
vurumai

Being a homin is such a beautiful thing.

A single main is all you need, unless you want an rp alt.

It is not possible to get it wrong ;P Mistakes are recoverable ...
vurumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #7
faedyne

Location: from the exotic lands of Myst, Aquaria, Ryzom, and Phantasy Star

I guess you're used to playing games where you're severely limited by your choices. Not to say that's not the case, but at least in this case it's mostly personal taste.

I think the only stipulation I would include is if you're interested in foraging and crafting.

If you want to get technical about it, each specialization pack gives you different skills worth a varying number of skill points, so they're not all equal, although I suspect the more valuable skills probably give fewer starting points. (As far as the starting packages only. This has no effect on the skills you buy once you start playing)
If you want to consider that issue, and you think you will be interested in the foraging and crafting skills, I would suggest picking that one, because I've heard that you tend to end up with a lot of extra skill points for fighting, magic, and forage, but not crafting. (also, be careful about spending the foraging points on the prospection extras. It will save you a lot of agony to learn which skills to get there.)

Your race (and racial crafting (and foraging)) is purely personal taste, and again, is mostly only important for crafting (and foraging).
I don't know if they let you pick the mainland city you go to. Does anyone know? If they do, you can easily adopt a land as your foraging/crafting home, although it's important that you don't split points between crafting the equipment of different races until much later. Best to pick one race for each family (armor, weapon, jewels, ranged+ammo) and picking different races for each family only causes problems under very specific, limited circumstances, which can be overcome with more dedicated work.
You'll want to pick crafting based on appearances, so check out Ballistic Mystix's armor gallery or dressing room for armor, and the item gallery for weapons.
faedyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #8
acridiel

Yes, all new players can pick the city to where they do want to go, after Silan.

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote