Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #1
suib0m

Current status - down

Ring is down until further notice.. Message from CeB. While I'm hoping this is a very good thing, it makes me sad. Just as I started to explore it again.

Is there any information on this downage? I haven't found any, but I might just be missing it.

Peace,
- Sui
suib0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #2
kiakaha

Re: Current status - down

Maybe some Tryker came and threw it in a vulcano...
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
sidusar

Let's hope it's because they're trying to fix it and not because they've just given up on it.

But yes, it does screw with my plans of rehosting both my seasonal scenarios for a weekend while everybody can use the Ring and nobody has to pay for it yet.

Edit - Ring back up, apparently it was just unscheduled hardware maintenance.

Last edited by sidusar : May 9th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
kiakaha

It's up again
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #5
vonzuben

Copy of Ring Bug Ticket I just submitted:

Severe Ring Bugs

Over the last 6 months I have reported 6 or 7 bugs in the ring, 3 of them very severe. They make players never want to touch the ring!

In my last report I indicated that I won’t use the ring anymore until the most recent very severe bug is fixed…The bug where players are consistently stuck in the ring when acts change… the bug YOU ADDED during the last patch.

This last report was over 2 months ago and you have done no follow-up.

Today I decided to test it out, just in case something has changed.

After I launched my scenario “Who Let the Dogs Out”, within minutes a player from another server joined. He was able to speak English and told me he is stuck, cannot move, cannot exit, cannot click on anything. That would be one of your severe bugs that I reported, recreated once again with no effort at all.

I did not bother to test the other stuck in ring bug that occurs when acts change, since it’s likely the same bug… it’s a problem with joining.

Guys… Shut the ring down! You are incapable of giving it the attention to even test if your patches break it. So shut it down! Having it available is worse than removing it when it’s this bad!
vonzuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #6
kiakaha

wow, that bad? I've just been playing around in the ring, so I haven't noticed any major issues. I hope they have a look soon.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #7
kaetemi

Location: Lembeek, Belgium E-mail: [email protected] NeL Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzuben
After I launched my scenario “Who Let the Dogs Out”, within minutes a player from another server joined. He was able to speak English and told me he is stuck, cannot move, cannot exit, cannot click on anything. That would be one of your severe bugs that I reported, recreated once again with no effort at all.
Iirc, when a player serverports to ring, the location of the player is sent only after he got on the ring server and loaded into the session, resulting in the double-load effect. So, a player is accepted on the ring server in his current position, the ring server accepts that, it sends the current player position to the player, and only after that the player is loaded into the ring session, and teleported to the right spawn location. Haven't looked at the ring recently, but I believe that's how it used to work at some point, anyways. I'm just guessing here, but since I never had this issue, this seems like a possible cause. Given the nature of UDP connections, it's quite possible that some package got switched up or got lost, resulting in the teleport to session location message arriving before a possible resend or something of a lost original player location message, which could very likely result in a player getting seemingly stuck on the location he originally was, but on the ring server. Though, that a player cannot move seems pretty weird to me, since moving is always possible, except under a few specific conditions (such as overweight), and is done clientside (mostly). It would be a serverside bug if there was a jump-back-to-position effect, though, but I've never had this issue myself, so I'm just guessing here.
kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote