Originally Posted by final60
press release

I lazy

The First Homin to win the Shield of Presteige

Created theRyzom mooning and the Naughty Spriteh Videos

ffxjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #12
browserice

Question Re: The MMORPG Ryzom goes open source!

Funny, just as I was starting to play with Ring and also started to complain about its interface (I know a bunch of game editors and 3dmax). You have made my day ! Now I am full of questions. I admit I haven't read any of your links so far.

[changed reply content after reading and posting in the Ryzom Core Client project site]

I had mis-understood the purpose of this project. I thought it meant the commercial game had gone Open Source allowing us to perphaps help change it or contribute to it. But as one reply I got from the Ryzom Core Client project site forum :

sfb

1) This project is most definitely not the official game itself. This is a distinction between us and, say, Second Life. In Second Life you're modding the client that connects to their game. Any work you do on Second Life benefits Linden Labs. With Ryzom Core it may or may not benefit Ryzom the game. Our hopes, obviously, is that it will. That it will help make the services, tools and client more stable. That new and exciting tools will emerge that make adding new content to the game easier or more engaging. But it also allows you as an individual to take it all and go and do something radically unique and independent of the Ryzom game.

2) Any work done in the Ryzom Core project will benefit the game. It will result in a better client and maybe more features. But it will not come in the form of new quests and things of that nature. Because you have access to the content creation tools to generate missions and design continents and so on you are, however, empowered to make much more detailed and complete suggestions to the Ryzom feedback site thus improving your ability to add content to the game.

Feel free to share this with any forum or point them here or to the IRC channel if they have questions. We'er more than happy to answer them.

Thanks,
sfb

So now I would like to know the thoughts of the Ryzom commercial game dev team on this subject. Are they planning anything to possibly one day allow custom community game contents made through that projet to be included into the Ryzom commercial game ? I am asking this question to prevent any community or non-community members to dive into this project thinking they can contribute that way.

Last edited by browserice : May 7th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
browserice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #13
dracolych49

Re: The MMORPG Ryzom goes open source!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browserice
[changed reply content after reading and posting in the Ryzom Core Client project site]

I had mis-understood the purpose of this project. I thought it meant the commercial game had gone Open Source allowing us to perphaps help change it or contribute to it. But as one reply I got from the Ryzom Core Client project site forum :

If having this source and content available allows you to produce a more detailed request or even to provide them with a patch then more power to you and the more likely you are to have your suggestion accepted. However the process of getting game content changes in is completely independent of this project.
Feel free to correct me, but doesn't this mean that you can, in fact, get your stuff in there? They have to OK it, check it over for hidden 'gattcha's and the like, but if you hand them a fait acompli, they are more likely to put it in than by just giving them a vague idea, yeah? They also specifically point out that bug fixes to the texts and stuff is good, too.
dracolych49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #14
rythaludin

Amazing , some of, if not 'the', best news I've heard all year.
Looking forward to working through it! Congrats guys!
rythaludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #15
jwenting

Quote:
It looks like they haven't released any part of the ryzom game as it has been developed here. The test server just consists of a small silan island with 3 npcs and yubos, just to show what is possible for coders. It would be dificult and time consuming for someone to reconstruct everything..

They're released the game engine and graphics, not the world data.
That allows people to create their own games based on the Ryzom engine as well as create updates to the engine (the latter must under GPL be contributed back to the community, submitted to WG for possible inclusion in the official release).

I'm not too worried about people setting up some fake ryzom private server where everyone starts at all mastered skills and can bash bosses and gank all day long, everywhere, Korean mmo style.

I AM worried about hacked clients, bots, and things like that. AFK levelling on great jabs anyone? Someone sets up 2-3 bots, goes to bed, and for 12 hours noone can do anything there because they're constantly dead.
jwenting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #16
jwenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracolych49
Feel free to correct me, but doesn't this mean that you can, in fact, get your stuff in there? They have to OK it, check it over for hidden 'gattcha's and the like, but if you hand them a fait acompli, they are more likely to put it in than by just giving them a vague idea, yeah? They also specifically point out that bug fixes to the texts and stuff is good, too.

yes, it does make it easier to get changes incorporated as there's less development effort to be done by WG.
Of course a lot of the submitted "fixes" and "improvements" won't be anything of the kind, so WG will be quite busy weeding the chaff from the corn so to speak to ensure there's nothing introduced that would not fit into the concept.
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #17
hijati

whoever can do it...lets get more weapons and armor...and high end quests!!!!!
hijati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #18
final60

Quote:
I AM worried about hacked clients, bots, and things like that. AFK levelling on great jabs anyone? Someone sets up 2-3 bots, goes to bed, and for 12 hours noone can do anything there because they're constantly dead.

Your talking about the past here not the future
final60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #19
jwenting

Quote:
Your talking about the past here not the future

Maybe a bad deja-vu...
If people can create bots without the full client (and server) source, imagine how easy it would be with those.
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #20
katriell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenting
Maybe a bad deja-vu...
If people can create bots without the full client (and server) source, imagine how easy it would be with those.
They'll be reported and dealt with.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote