Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1
411thraven

Cats and dyes

This was going to be posted in feedback, but for some reason I'm not able to post there. So here will have to do instead.

I'd like to see the removal of cats and the increase in xp speed by +100% so that it would be as if someone was on cats all the time. Which is the case for a lot of people anyway.

Getting rid of cats as above would free up the space in your GHs, apartments, packers and bag. It would save people having to try and clear out their GHs so often so they have more space for actual mats and equipment. It would also save people having to leave a hunt so as to get cats for someone, I know a lot of people don't mind giving out cats but there are times when you could do without having to.

The removal of cats and the increase in xp speed (+100%) should be both easy things to fix.

Moving on to dyes, this would be harder to implement but should be still doable. The dye (object) is created ingame and then added to an armor piece (2nd object) with alters the color attribute of the 2nd object effectively creating a 3rd object. Long time since I've done any object programming and it probably shows.

Why dyes, mainly because we have a good crafting system but the stats are fixed to the type of mats including the color. So we end up with a lot of white or black armor because the stats are better.

Basic armor could have just 1 color attribute, medium quality 2 (2 sets of color zones) and high quality 3 (3 sets of color zones). I say zones because a color attribute may be present in more than one area on the armor.
411thraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #2
cygnus

Re: Cats and dyes

It is possible to level without cats, you do know that? Even if there were taken out of the game after a short period of time people would be asking for xp boosts, its an endless one, a lot of people just want to max skills as fast as possible. A bad idea all round imo.

The dye idea has been floated on and off for years. It is a great idea but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
411thraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus
It is possible to level without cats, you do know that? Even if there were taken out of the game after a short period of time people would be asking for xp boosts, its an endless one, a lot of people just want to max skills as fast as possible. A bad idea all round imo.

The dye idea has been floated on and off for years. It is a great idea but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

How many level say from 240 to 250 without cats these days?

I know it's possible to level without cats, done it myself in the distant past. But if you can use cats (like you can atm) then the majority of people will because it's the sensible thing to do. Cats are ingame which means they are a valid way to level a character. Not using cats serves no real purpose unless it's just a personal quest you are on.

How I see it is, cats were introduced to speed up leveling and reduce the grind because they realised that the process was too long. And seems that it was an action taken as they did not wish to admit that part of patch 1 had been an error in judgement (just my perception on why).

Cats have been a source of a lot of bickering in the past between those that had plenty and those that did not.

Snake (or is it Snakez?), can you honestly tell me you have never used cats in the development of your character/characters?

Edit: Patch 1 refers to a major patch that also removed all your learnt skills and replaced your skill points for reuse, sometime around Dec 2004 iirc.

Last edited by 411thraven : March 9th, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #4
subox

cat's are part of the game and the only reason ppl have pvp ingame removing cat's and just double xp would mean no reason to pvp anymore, so the whole political system ingame would come to a halt. If there isn't anything to fight for then there isn't anything to do anymore just mindless grinding away with your double xp now atleast we have our fun wars now and then.
subox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #5
camlost2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411thraven
How many level say from 240 to 250 without cats these days?

I am, I have, and I will.

Quote:
majority of people will because it's the sensible thing to do.

People are looking for a long-term experience, while on the other hand want to max out as fast as possible. Makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Not using cats serves no real purpose unless it's just a personal quest you are on.

I'm not on a personal quest. I simply like hunting with firends, old and new alike and for my own personal entertainment I like using skills I find enjoyable. Had I been using cats then said skills would have been maxed out already and in order to partake in these hunts I would have to resort to skills I find less enjoyable. Mind you, beside harvest I've only mastered 2 skills

As far as the "problem" with black and white armor goes, it's simply because people are lazy and can't figure ot how to make good armor with any colour they like. It takes research and effort, but it is a not very well kept secret that you do not have to use all supremes to make the good stuff.

Beren
camlost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6
cygnus

Yea I've used cats before but I do not rely on them to level my character. For example I find it quite laughable that people would leave a hunt because they had run out of cats. That is the problem with them, and always has been. People become so dependant on them they fail to see how they can play the game without them, that is why I don't like them.

My point was more that it doesn't matter what you do, people will still want to level faster than the game allows so even if you do double xp and get rid of cats it would only be a short time before people were clamouring for some other new xp boost.
cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
jared96

[quote=411thraven]How many level say from 240 to 250 without cats these days?

I know it's possible to level without cats, done it myself in the distant past. But if you can use cats (like you can atm) then the majority of people will because it's the sensible thing to do. Cats are ingame which means they are a valid way to level a character. Not using cats serves no real purpose unless it's just a personal quest you are on.[/quote

It's the journey not the destination grasshopper.

Myself and a good part of the bunnies use cats only for crafting. I'd be in favor of your proposal to dump cats, if they increased the xp rate for crafting ONLY. I'm in my 7th year on Atys and in no rush to get anything finished.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Sywindt

As stated here http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=34740 please post your feedback on the feedback site: http://feedback.ryzom.com
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #9
411thraven

Well if that's how people feel about cats these days then there really is no point me sticking around.

I'm not the kind of player that likes things easy or instant gratification, but I also don't like grinding for the sake of grinding which happens a lot in this game especially as the player base numbers are still low.
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #10
jwenting

what "how people feel about cats"?
They're there if you want them, but there's no requirement to either use them or not use them.
The choice is yours. Most guilds with outposts hand them out freely now (this has been different in the past).

If choice is a reason for you to quite, more's the pity for you.
jwenting is offline   Reply With Quote