Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #1
trevdk

Greetings.

I just wanna say hi to the community. I started yesterday - and got killed a LOT of times against them mobs

I'm a bit interested in the RP aspect of the game. From what i've seen so far (and its not a lot I admit), the game seem centered around missions. Could anybody help out here?

I'm still using the free trial. So i guess my actions are limited until i upgrade to a full account.
trevdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #2
ashling

Re: Greetings.

Hi trevdk, welcome to Ryzom.

The one problem with the Ruins of Silan where you are is it gives the impression that missions are more important to the rest of the game then they are. On the mainland missions stop giving xp and items as reward and instead give you a small amount of dappars and fame (your faction rating with the karavan/kami/fyros/matis/tryker/zorai/different tribes etc) which is the main reason people do them. There are also a few encyclopedia missions on the mainland that if you do the right set of missions give you bonuses to your sap stat or the durability of anything you craft. Gameforge have said they are going to add more missions for new players to the mainland but we will have to wait to see what form they take.
ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #3
trevdk

Thank you for the quick reply

I have an additional question. How do I actually gain XP? I can see my levels rising slowly (only at level 17 in fighting) and I can see i've got som XP to spend when I speak with the Fighter Trainer. Is the XP only gained through missions?
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #4
jamela

Hi trevdk, and welcome to Atys . *hugs*

You almost made me lose my morning cuppa. Ryzom most certainly does not revolve around missions! For the Free Trial you only have access to the training island, Silan, which has a raft of training missions to help you to learn the game. The game revolves very much more around roleplaying, than around jobs or tasks.
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #5
ashling

No problem, ask all the questions you like

XP is given from the actions you do, for example fight and offensive magic xp from attacking in combat, defensive magic xp from healing someone in combat or using a defensive spell like fear in combat. Crafting xp is earned for everything you make, harvesting xp for everytime you dig up some materials. It breaks down more then that as your skills get higher and the skill lines break up, for example when fight breaks into melee and ranged you need to fight with the right type of weapon to get melee or ranged xp. That happens for magic, crafting and harvesting too.

If you click on a the system info tab in the chat area it lists the xp you get as you get it.

Edit: *waves Jamela*
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #6
jamela

Stop doing this to me, please!

XP is what you earn whenever you are able to perform an action successfully, and live to tell the tale (like killing a yubo or digging up something from the ground). Skill points, or SP, are what the trainers ask you for in order to learn new skills or upgrades. You get 10SP every time that you achieve a new level in any skill, 10SP for the trainer of that skill tree.

Hey Ashling .

And trevdk, the Free Trial limits you to level 21 in each of the four prime skill branches, iirc, Silan is limited to level 50 creatures and materials and skills, has no Range skills (Fighting or Crafting) available at all, and a few other choice skills have been omitted also.

Edit: How's that, Ash?
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #7
ashling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamela
Stop doing this to me, please!

It's making my monday morning a bit more intresting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamela
Silan is limited to level 50 creatures and materials and skills, has no Range Fighting or Crafting skills available at all, and a few other choice skills have been omitted also.

Made me pause there for a second untill I reliased you meant no ranged crafting not all crafting
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #8
trevdk

Red face Re: Greetings.

Thanks for all the replies. Think I might upgrade my account tonight. If I do that, how do I get to the main island then?
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #9
ashling

Talk to Chiang the Strong to get the mission that teleports you over to the mainland. I'd sujest you have fun with the missions there first though (if your not finished them) as they are a good tutorial to how the skills work, that first step on the learning curve can be a bit bumpy

Last edited by ashling : February 12th, 2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #10
acridiel

Welcome to Ryzom

May I humpbly suggest that you read the "Dear Newbes..." link my signature.
It´s chock full of info for newcommers and the thread is gettin better and better

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote